Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get a deep growl sound while keeping stock exhaust and cat? I'm not looking to make the car louder, just a more noticeable growl on idle

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't think there are many options for what you want. Drill a hole in to the exhaust and make an exhaust leak?

I mean the stock catback is pretty quiet. The only way to make it louder would be to replace the cat or cut open the stock muffler, gut it. But that is kind of pointless unless you are just keeping the stock "look". I would just try to buy an axle-back. That way it is not "as loud".

Only problem with that, is you don't spend much more in getting a catback. So that is probably your best option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking to make the car louder, what I'm asking more is whether installing a HFC or a downpipe makes the exhaust note much deeper without making it louder

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not looking to make the car louder, what I'm asking more is whether installing a HFC or a downpipe makes the exhaust note much deeper without making it louder
I've been on a sound quest for 2 years now and what you're asking isn't possible. The stock exhaust is too quiet and restrictive and will qwell any sound changes a HFC or downpipe will offer. The downpipe, unless going open dump does very little for the overall exhaust note.

Not trying to plug companies but stock downpipe + ETS HFC and Corsa Catback was the recipe I found to meet my exact growl and performance balance needs.

All the best.
Rev

·
Registered
263 Posts
What he said. It's just not really possible. Catback will be the closest thing to what you are looking for. If you don't want to make it too much louder, I wouldn't do much more exhaust mods besides that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can cut open the stock muffler and bypass the spring loaded flapper valve and/or some of the baffling. It flows a little better and amplifies the stock exhaust note.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts