Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my dental appt today. Here I am drinking a mountain dew. And thought 'is this bad for teeth?'

TOP BEVERAGES THAT DESTROY TEETH

1) Lemonade

2) Energy Drinks (Red Bull, Rooster Booster, Full Throttle, etc.)

3) Sports Drinks (Gatorade, Powerade, etc)

4) Fitness Water (Propel, etc.)

5) Iced Tea (sweetened is even worse)

6) Soft Drinks (Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, 7-up, etc.)

·
not stupid
207 Posts
Just had a deep teeth cleaning done last month. Doctor said coffee is also bad for your teeth as it stains the enamel.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Had my dental appt today. Here I am drinking a mountain dew. And thought 'is this bad for teeth?'

TOP BEVERAGES THAT DESTROY TEETH

1) Lemonade

2) Energy Drinks (Red Bull, Rooster Booster, Full Throttle, etc.)

3) Sports Drinks (Gatorade, Powerade, etc)

4) Fitness Water (Propel, etc.)

5) Iced Tea (sweetened is even worse)

6) Soft Drinks (Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, 7-up, etc.)

Did you read this somewhere or are you wagering a guess?

I used to drink tons of iced tea as a kid (the powdered kind) and it wasn't the best for my teeth. Now I mostly drink water, and my teeth are perdy.

·
Registered
786 Posts
gasp i live on red bull i mean i drink it all the time but i havent had a cavity and i have an awesome set of pearly chomps -some crokedness of my lower front teeth

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
:mswerd:

I'm surprised coffee and tea weren't in that list. I'm also taken back by 3 and 4.
All are highly sweetened, and sugars of any kind eat away at tooth enamel. It's part of the reason sweet drinks, including fruit juice, are discouraged for small children before they start tooth brushing. 3 and 4 can be acidic. I don't sweeten my tea, unless I'm feeling sick and then it's a dot of honey. In general I also don't sweeten my coffee, but that does darken teeth. No soda here, don't like the taste of of the rest of those drinks on the list.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Yeah, but 3 and 4 aren't nearly as sweet as say...5.
Bad things for teeth are bolded:

Pepsi (8 fl. oz)
Contains: CARBONATED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR, SUGAR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, CAFFEINE, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVORS

Calories 100
Total Fat (g) 0
Sodium (mg) 20
Potassium (mg) 10
Total Carbohydrates (g) 28
Sugars (g) 28
Protein (g) 0
Caffeine (mg) 25

Gatorade Lemonade
Ingredients:
water, sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, ester gum, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, yellow 5

Nutrition Facts: [Edit]
serving size: 8 fl oz; calories 50; total fat 0g; sodium 110mg; potassium 30mg; total carbs 14g; sugars 14g

Tasty:
"Monopotassium phosphate (also potassium dihydrogen phosphate, KDP, or monobasic potassium phosphate, MKP) -- KH2PO4 -- is a soluble salt which is used as a fertilizer, a food additive and a fungicide. It is a source of phosphorus and potassium, and is a buffering agent. When used in fertilizer mixtures with urea and ammonium phosphates, it minimizes escape of ammonia by keeping the pH at a relatively low level.

Fertilizer grade MKP contains 52% P2O5 and 34% K2O, and is labeled 0-52-34. It is often used as a nutrient source in the greenhouse trade and in hydroponics.

It is one of the components of Gatorade and is used as an additive in cigarettes."

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
in addition, what my dentist told me was thet there are two types of mouths, acidic, and basic.

I am not sure which is which, but one ends up with lots of cavities and very low plaque and tartar build up, while the other ends up with very few cavities and high plaque and tartar build up.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Bad things for teeth are bolded:

Pepsi (8 fl. oz)
Contains: CARBONATED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR, SUGAR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, CAFFEINE, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVORS

Calories 100
Total Fat (g) 0
Sodium (mg) 20
Potassium (mg) 10
Total Carbohydrates (g) 28
Sugars (g) 28
Protein (g) 0
Caffeine (mg) 25

Gatorade Lemonade
Ingredients:
water, sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, ester gum, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, yellow 5

Nutrition Facts: [Edit]
serving size: 8 fl oz; calories 50; total fat 0g; sodium 110mg; potassium 30mg; total carbs 14g; sugars 14g

Tasty:
"Monopotassium phosphate (also potassium dihydrogen phosphate, KDP, or monobasic potassium phosphate, MKP) -- KH2PO4 -- is a soluble salt which is used as a fertilizer, a food additive and a fungicide. It is a source of phosphorus and potassium, and is a buffering agent. When used in fertilizer mixtures with urea and ammonium phosphates, it minimizes escape of ammonia by keeping the pH at a relatively low level.

Fertilizer grade MKP contains 52% P2O5 and 34% K2O, and is labeled 0-52-34. It is often used as a nutrient source in the greenhouse trade and in hydroponics.

It is one of the components of Gatorade and is used as an additive in cigarettes."
Still looks like soda has twice the sugar as gatorade. I'm sure the acid doesn't help in the gatorade, but the soda has acid as well.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
in addition, what my dentist told me was thet there are two types of mouths, acidic, and basic.

I am not sure which is which, but one ends up with lots of cavities and very low plaque and tartar build up, while the other ends up with very few cavities and high plaque and tartar build up.
Very few cavities and high plaque and tartar build up: Welcome to my mouth....

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
makes sense, doesn't it?
Yeah, kinda.

For instance, when I was a kid, I got a lot of cavities. I also had a bitter/sour taste in my mouth no matter what...I always felt like I had bad breath.

Then for years (starting from college or so) I brushed with nothing but baking soda (which is a base). I rarely get a cavity now, and I generally only have funk breath in the morning. However, I get a lot of plaque buildup behind my bottom front teeth.

A lot has changed since then...my diet, etc etc...but it's possible that my mouth was acidic and now is more neutral or basic.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used to brush with baking soda and a tiny bit of salt, which worked well for me.

Funny you bring this up now, I just got back from the ER because of a stupid tooth. I had a root canal years ago and its always been a little tender...well come to find out it got a massive infection cause I woke up this morning with a freaking balloon face. I had to have it drained from inside my mouth, AND get a double dose of shots in my butt. Sorry for the graphic detail, but I haven't had a very good day...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.