Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys help me in choosing new tires for my X please. I have a good deal on getting a set of Gram Lights 57 Ultimate rims 18x9.5 and I want some new rubber that won't break the bank, in a size 265/35-18's. I like the stock Advan's but they're almost $500/ tire. I'm looking for something in the $200-$300 range. I don't race it's just my daily driver but I want a good tire that handles well for the price. Can anyone suggest some options that will be affordable please?

cheers,
Karl.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
If for summer, look in to the star specs. For that size, it's 266 per tire

·
Registered
455 Posts
i recommend the star specs for summer. they dont have the best treadwear, and they get too hot for track days, but they are good for autox cuzz they heat up quickly.

if you are lookings at all seasons i would recommend either the kumho ecsta asx or the continental extreme contact dws. the kumho's grip is more linear and easy to feel, but the continentals have more grip even if they are a little bit snappy.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
If for summer, look in to the star specs. For that size, it's 266 per tire
Or the RS-3's a little cheaper and arguably a better tire. I am moving away from Star Spec's next season, they get too greasy hot lapping.

i recommend the star specs for summer. they dont have the best treadwear, and they get too hot for track days, but they are good for autox cuzz they heat up quickly.
I have 5k miles on my Spec's and over 120 laps of autocross on really bad surfaces and I still have 5/32 left all the way around. Don't go by the treadwear rating, it isn't always accurate. These tires last, my buddy had a set and put 10k daily miles and ~200 autocross laps before they got to 3/32.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I got Michelin Pilot Sport ZP (run flats) from Sams Club for about $300 each. Very good grip and reduced road noise for daily driving.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looking for performance tires specifically. The Star specs seem to be the tire of choice in the lower price range category. I'll check out how much they are locally.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in terms of rubbing the fender, most guys seem to feel that I'll be ok with that size of tire on a rim with +22 offset and lowered with Swift spec-r springs 1.25" front and 1" rear. If rubbing will be an issue perhaps I'd be better to run a 255/35-18 instead. I don't want to alter my fenders and I for sure don't want any rubbing issues.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I chose nt-05 nitto over star specs for dd/tracking. They do wear quickly like star specs though. If you can squeeze a bit, AD08 will last the longest of the three, and perform the 'best'. Best being to me, on my car, on road courses only.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
in terms of rubbing the fender, most guys seem to feel that I'll be ok with that size of tire on a rim with +22 offset and lowered with Swift spec-r springs 1.25" front and 1" rear. If rubbing will be an issue perhaps I'd be better to run a 255/35-18 instead. I don't want to alter my fenders and I for sure don't want any rubbing issues.
I am running Star Spec 265/35R18 w/18x10" +25 wheels...no rubbing anywhere. But I agree with the others, I think I paid $50 to have my rears rolled, because I plan on going with 275-285's next time. I have run 265's in NT05's and Z1's without any issue, even before I rolled the rears.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I chose nt-05 nitto over star specs for dd/tracking. They do wear quickly like star specs though. If you can squeeze a bit, AD08 will last the longest of the three, and perform the 'best'. Best being to me, on my car, on road courses only.
I didn't like how my NT05's heat cycled out so quicky daily driving. They gripped fine early on but somewhere around 3-5k miles they started letting go and when I say let go, I mean like you are running on corded tired. They ended up looking and feeling like urethane with 4/32 still left on them. The bad part is, I never took any long trips so mainly just 6k miles driving 28 miles a day. Maybe just a bad set but I won't buy them ever again because of it. Like I said, maybe I got a bum set but I hated them. When you struggle for grip at Pennington Field, which the surface is like 80 grit sandpaper somethings wrong. Even after washing them that white film and cracking doesn't go away. I only ran them for around 10 months and had PTP take them off and hopefully made some little person somewhere a nice swing.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Yea they did wear quickly on my car, maybe a bit faster than the star specs did. So far ad08s are by far my favorite non-slick tire.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Yea they did wear quickly on my car, maybe a bit faster than the star specs did. So far ad08s are by far my favorite non-slick tire.
Ballin! Yeah, I hear the same thing about them. The AD08's are not fairing as well on the lots. Several have tried them and gone back to RS-3's and Z1's. The track guys sure are liking them though. I think those 3 are all great tires and it all comes down to how you are going to use them. The Z1's were awesome in the colder months, the grip when cold is awesome. Summer time I had to start watering them down to keep them where they like to be. Also, SCCA gives you plenty of time between runs to have the tires cool down, Z1 is awesome for that, the other groups hot lap 8-14 runs then the RS-3's are nice. Based on that, I am thinking of running the Z1's half the year and the RS-3's the other half since they need more heat to get in their comfort zone.

Have you tried the NT01's? If so did you like them?

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,500 Posts
R888's. or simular like the Advan's

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
NT-01 is my next tire. My only issue is if it rains, I'm screwed.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Don't go by the treadwear rating, it isn't always accurate.
I believe the way the treadwear rating works is it is how well that tire wears vs other tires in its class. The challenge is often figuring out what other tires the manufacturer considers to be in the same class as their model. :D

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
if you had to choose between hankook ventus v12 vs bfg g force kw2(both summer tires) which one you would choose? sorry for off topic I dont wanna open another thread....
I need something in 280 thread range:p

·
Registered
399 Posts
I bought a set of R-S3s for $700. Check gender section.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts