Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, I was in an accident and destroyed my BBS wheel tire, Brembo caliper, rotor, control arms, shock & spring etc. Now I am finally getting my car back after a month, hard to find OEM parts for MR in the states, I was curious since one side is going to have brand new tire and the other side used, is that going to effect anything? Some people tells me that it could mess up my rear diff, is that true? Any input will be great Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have you had the frame measured to make sure none if the mounts got tweaked? I've seen that happen to a lot of cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
37 Posts
IIRC, there was a thread somewhere where someone said Mitsu told them if the tread is within 3/32 difference it'd be fine. Personally I think that's too much of a difference. You can also get the new tire (or a used one) shaved down to the same depth.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
His point is valid. IF you have two new tires with two old one, you could end up with the same issue front to rear or when it comes time to rotate. That said, as long as they are within spec, you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is anybody reading? First of all why would I have two new tires if my insurance replaced the damaged one? You want me to replace three other tires that are fine out of my pocket? Does that make sense to you? If you are not going to read please do not reply thanks.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If one tire is new and the others are used there is going to be a difference in diameter. If that difference is to much I will put alot of stress on your drivetrain. Everyone who posted in this thread did read your post and their trying to help, so stop being a dick.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If one tire is new and the others are used there is going to be a difference in diameter. If that difference is to much I will put alot of stress on your drivetrain. Everyone who posted in this thread did read your post and their trying to help, so stop being a dick.
Thanks for the advice, you have been a lot of help!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Your welcome

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IIRC, there was a thread somewhere where someone said Mitsu told them if the tread is within 3/32 difference it'd be fine. Personally I think that's too much of a difference. You can also get the new tire (or a used one) shaved down to the same depth.
Where can I go and get it shaved to same diameter?
I bought all four tires from Discount Tires, can they do that?
Also its All season tires, it should be ok right?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If you are buying a new tire you should have it shaved down to match the rest. I blew one of my winter tires last year so I purchased a new one off tirerack and had them shave it for something like $20. Call them up before you place your order and tell them the tread depth.
If you are using stock tires they are pretty expensive brand new so check the Evo forums for used ones. I think they go for $350 brand new on tirerack and sometimes are sold on the forums for $400 for all 4 used. You can probably find a local tire shop that can shave down the tire you need then sell the 3 you dont need or save them for possible future blow outs.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are buying a new tire you should have it shaved down to match the rest. I blew one of my winter tires last year so I purchased a new one off tirerack and had them shave it for something like $20. Call them up before you place your order and tell them the tread depth.
If you are using stock tires they are pretty expensive brand new so check the Evo forums for used ones. I think they go for $350 brand new on tirerack and sometimes are sold on the forums for $400 for all 4 used. You can probably find a local tire shop that can shave down the tire you need then sell the 3 you dont need or save them for possible future blow outs.
Thanks, I got Continental DWS all season tires which I got it last Thanksgiving and the new one is on my car now and the bodyshop test drove it today....I am going to pick it up tomorrow and bring it straight to Discount Tires and have them shave it for me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
There's been a lot of hype and nonsense published about the Evo X AWD and tire matching. Please know that the diffs are designed to handle tire circumference differences of somewhat more than 1% (it's not the diameter you are after, it's the circumference). In a stock tire size this amounts to about a 1/2" and is the difference between a bald tire and new one. For example, we are constantly rotating fresh tires onto the, using the most worn on the right rear and best on the left front. And, by the end of a race the tire wear is VERY different at each corner.

So, depending on your existing tire wear you are likely more than fine to replace just the one new tire. You can shave it if you want but the diffs won't care.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
WTF r u talking about? Please stay out of my threads please please, I'm sure I'm speaking for a lot of people at this forum.....
Well apparently I was the ONLY one that cared to tell you they need to be the same diameter. :) noob hate is ok i can take it.

Is anybody reading? First of all why would I have two new tires if my insurance replaced the damaged one? You want me to replace three other tires that are fine out of my pocket? Does that make sense to you? If you are not going to read please do not reply thanks.
Yes we are able to read but you are a retArd :neener:

Thanks for the advice, you have been a lot of help!
Oh so it starts to sink in now ;)

Where can I go and get it shaved to same diameter?
I bought all four tires from Discount Tires, can they do that?
Also its All season tires, it should be ok right?
Well yes I could have told you that if you didnt jump on the aggressive hate train. Also For future reference, if you order from The Tire Rack, they will shave any new tire(s) to the spec you provide them...k.

Thanks, I got Continental DWS all season tires which I got it last Thanksgiving and the new one is on my car now and the bodyshop test drove it today....I am going to pick it up tomorrow and bring it straight to Discount Tires and have them shave it for me.
Well look at that, after you shut up you can start to get the problem solved.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry about that before trick3d, I am just frustrated that I did not have my car for a month and finding about this tire issue now got me exploding. Thanks for all your advices, I take back everything I said, THANK YOU ALL!

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
Sorry about that before trick3d, I am just frustrated that I did not have my car for a month and finding about this tire issue now got me exploding. Thanks for all your advices, I take back everything I said, THANK YOU ALL!
What he calls you a retard and you appologize?

Let's break down his reply:

1)
Well apparently I was the ONLY one that cared to tell you they need to be the same diameter. :) noob hate is ok i can take it.
Umm, that's just not true. No where in his only other post before this did he mention anything about them needing to be the same diameter. Here it is just to make sure no confusion.

If you need 1 tire you should buy 4

:beatingdeadhorsethreadxinfinity:
Not only did he not mention that, but his statement was dumb and ill informed.

And lol to him calling you a noob, even though you probably know more practical information about these cars then he does.

2)
Yes we are able to read but you are a retArd :neener:
Ah, tricked in his full glory.

3)
Oh so it starts to sink in now ;)
still being an unhelpful ass

4)
Well yes I could have told you that if you didnt jump on the aggressive hate train. Also For future reference, if you order from The Tire Rack, they will shave any new tire(s) to the spec you provide them...k.
You can buy that he could have told you that. Although that then begs the question as to why he didn't just do that to begin with...

5)
Well look at that, after you shut up you can start to get the problem solved.
And more of tricked's awesomeness. So helpful isn't he.

But thank you CJ, cause this made this thread Epic:
WTF r u talking about? Please stay out of my threads please please, I'm sure I'm speaking for a lot of people at this forum.....
:amen: (yes you are)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts