Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one here dive as a hobby or work? I did this dive in 2011/01/18 in Cozumel, Mexico. It was Epic. :D

Looking to pickup some gear, probably just BCD and Reg at this point.

NEWB

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
I used to dive a lot, actually. I did the Cathedral in Hawaii.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
Wow, stunning dive.

I need a BCD and Reg. any recommendations?
Not really. I mostly did college trips and rented gear. I live in Ohio so I never got into owning my own stuff.

How do you manage the pressure on the ear? I've never been able to go below like 13ft when I was a kid free diving at the pool. Is the difference in the diving gear?

Take a class. They teach you how to deal with pressure. It's pretty easy. I have trouble with some of it because I have an inner ear condition from a wrestling injury in high school, but I can deal with it now.

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
One way is to pinch your nose and try to force air out of it. It'll help you deal with the pressure.

Open water isn't bad, but you do need a good person to teach you how to keep safe. I grew up going to the ocean every summer so I love swimming past the breakers. Plus, I've always been a strong swimmer. I'm more scared of heights.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
One way is to pinch your nose and try to force air out of it. It'll help you deal with the pressure.

Open water isn't bad, but you do need a good person to teach you how to keep safe. I grew up going to the ocean every summer so I love swimming past the breakers. Plus, I've always been a strong swimmer. I'm more scared of heights.
Oh I can swim....swam competitively for probably 12 years and lots of vacations at the beach. I just, I dunno. I don't like being in water I can't see and even then. Lakes? Rivers? Fuck that. Tried swimming in Hawaii and still had issues.

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
I can understand it. I've had some unknown things come up and bump me in Hawaii. Most likely just large fish, but I always worry that it's a shark or a wild dolphin (which can be really dangerous, too). I don't like going too far out without goggles, either. I like to be able to see what might be coming at me.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I can understand it. I've had some unknown things come up and bump me in Hawaii. Most likely just large fish, but I always worry that it's a shark or a wild dolphin (which can be really dangerous, too). I don't like going too far out without goggles, either. I like to be able to see what might be coming at me.
When I can look in local creeks and find baby Hammerheads (and I did) the odds of me jumping in past the breakers fall to zero.

Hawaii is THE place to go if you like surfing and shit. Or just for photography. I REALLY miss that aspect of it. Being IN the water? Yeah I think not. Not me, anyway. The Hammerhead and Tiger sharks breed in Kaneohe Bay on O'Ahu which was where I was stationed.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
oddly some of the best diving is Hawaii

My next trip in 2012 i hope :)

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Very awesome. I don't dive but would like to try it someday.
I was down in Cozumel area several years ago for a couple days. Did some snorkeling down on a couple reefs in Tulum. Got some incredible views of some beautiful tropical fish, alone with a serious back-only sunburn haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts