Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
I would love something like that. But I think my car sits too low for anything like that

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't see why an Evo sitting on 4 jack stands is any safer than this? I think as long as you use quality materials, and make it as durable as you can it should be safe. I just thought it was a pretty neat idea coz it gives you plenty of room under the car.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
They should be strong enough but it seems like it may be less exensive just to buy something like a low rise bendpack lift used. i may ditch mine and replace it with a alignment rack at somepoint but they work well

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
How long do you think a 3500 lbs. car would last on the roof of a house?
LMAO!

I would be terrified every second I'd be under neath a car on those pieces of plywood.

Get a lil bit of sideways instability and there's not much stopping those things from toppling over sideways, that's what I'd be worried about. Sure they should be alright holding the weight directly up and down, but put any lateral force on them and I can see the whole thing slanting slowly, and at that point it's too late and the car comes crashing down.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Im not saying making a sturdy set of wooden ramps is a horrible idea, but there are options out there. The race ramp system looks like my car can get on to them without rubbing the front end. They are probably also a lot lighter to lug around and easier to store than wood. I've been using jack stands on the car for the three years without issue. I'm looking for an easier solution.

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
How long do you think a 3500 lbs. car would last on the roof of a house?
nobody builds a roof to support that much weight. :freak:

LMAO!

I would be terrified every second I'd be under neath a car on those pieces of plywood.

Get a lil bit of sideways instability and there's not much stopping those things from toppling over sideways, that's what I'd be worried about. Sure they should be alright holding the weight directly up and down, but put any lateral force on them and I can see the whole thing slanting slowly, and at that point it's too late and the car comes crashing down.
How much side load do you need? these things are almost a foot wide each, much better than any jack stand I've seen.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I feel perfectly safe under my ramps I have truck jacks stands underneath as a secondary. There is no way these ramps could tip they are 12" wide and 14" high almost a perfect square. I even considered that if they did collapse those boards are 2 inches thick which would mean even if I laid them one ontop of another that would be 8" between the ground and the tires, so I would at least have 12" of clearance before I would get squished if everything else failed. The trickiest part is driving the car up onto them but if you have a buddy that can stick a wheel chock behind your tires as you drive up them its alot easier (no roll back).

PS - the plywood is only on the sides as a cover and not part of the structural integrity

These ramps cost me $220 plus $80 for 4 truck stands that are rated at 8000lbs each from harbor freight.

So far Ive had 4,000 lbs explorer, an evo 9, evo 10, and a 95 mustang on these ramps without anykind of problems. Ive built these ramps because I just dont feel like lifting my car by side supports is good for the frame especially when you go one side at a time, but thats just me. (im sure its perfectly ok to lift your car up by the sides its only my personal opinion)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.