Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 gsr that just had a replacement engine and turbo put in because of a faulty waste gate actuator. It was warrantied, but my evo has 50,800 miles on it and I am thinking about getting a new one. My question is will this warranty work hurt the value of my car? In good condition kbb says 25k but I would be happy with 22-23k? I have never had to sell a car with a replacement engine and just wanted to see if anyone out there has. I have been reading this site since I bought my evo and I am thankful for a resource like this one. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think some people would be weary of a engine replaced just for the simple fact of what caused the engine failure. If cause is unknown I would some people might be worried about more underlying causes and future problems. BUT if work was done by mitsu then their work should be warrantied which should satisfy any potential buyer. Guess in the long run it depends on who is buying it. If the new engine extended th power plant warranty than I would be all for it. Even though the day after I bought it the warranty would be voided due to the mod bug.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
OP, not really.

I mean... If I went to a dealership to buy lets say for example an Evo X 08 and lets just say there is two at this dealership, and one has just had a brand new engine installed and the other one is still running its original engine, I would take the Evo X with the brand new engine every time!

I think its a good selling point.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
It really depends on who you're trying to sell the car to. What type of person they are, and how much they know about these cars - or cars in general.

Obviously if you take it to some fool who doesn't know a thing about these cars they're going to be suspicious and think it sucks cause the motor had to be swapped.

If you try to sell it to someone who has alot of knowledge with throwing on parts and trying to grab power from a car like this, that person will most likely see the new motor as a huge bonus - i know i would.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
It really depends on who you're trying to sell the car to. What type of person they are, and how much they know about these cars - or cars in general.

Obviously if you take it to some fool who doesn't know a thing about these cars they're going to be suspicious and think it sucks cause the motor had to be swapped.

If you try to sell it to someone who has alot of knowledge with throwing on parts and trying to grab power from a car like this, that person will most likely see the new motor as a huge bonus - i know i would.
:+1: Totally agree with this BTW

·
Registered
168 Posts
In my opinion, I say look at it as if you were trading it in. A car dealer is going to say your car sucks because of A, B, & C. People are going to try to make it a big deal simply because they don't want to pay what you want. They would probably use it as an excuse to chew you down on the price. Just keep the receipts from the replacement and prove that it was done legitimately and not shade tree or driveway style, and you should be good. This is an Evo, by the way, and it takes a lot to depreciate these cars. I say just put it on the market, be honest about it, and stick to your guns.

·
Registered
888 Posts

this^

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I know if it where me buying it I would be thrilled to get a new engine. I was just curious what everyone else thought. What is the best way to sell this car? I will post pics when I get home tomorrow of the hole in the block it is pretty crazy. Thanks again for the replies

·
Registered
168 Posts
well best way is a relative thing. Are you looking to get something else or just looking to unload this car? I say try all your options and see what comes from it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the delay guys work has been crazy. I am looking to get rid of the car. After much thought and anguish it is time. The EVO is MY favorite car of all time and it has been a blast owning it. However, my dream EVO would be 500 whp and ready for the track. I do not have the money to make it like that now as we are getting ready to build a house. I have loved her since day one and there is just something about the EVO that it will always have a place in my heart. The EVO was stock by the way. Here is a picture of the block.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
note to sell the car on here, you'll need to have over 50 'meaningful' posts or more.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just my 2 cents. new engine is a big +, especially with the chain stretch issue all taken care of with a new engine.No worries!!I'd definately be more likely to pay a little more for one with a new engine over one with 50,000 miles!

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
The problem with a new engine is whether or not people believe it blew because of a bad tune or other uncontrollable problem. Most often people will figure the car was driven by a crazy person who just hooned it constantly, thus they wonder how the condition of the rest of the car is.

I, personally, wouldn't buy a car with a new engine unless I knew the previous owner. That's just me, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.