Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See page 3 for the bolt and what happened - picture included!

I am pretty sure one of the bolts on my downpipe to manifold is pretty messed up. Every other bolt is coming out fine, but one of them turns really rough, almost like it is cross threaded, but it is coming out - slowly...once I start backing it in and out, it loosens up and is fine until I get to a "new area" trying to take it out and it seems to seize right back up again.

So I am guessing I need to replace this bolt, correct? The size is M10x1.25 - so 10mm, 1.25 inches long? I am guessing most stores would have this. What grade do I need or type of bolt do I need?

Also - if anyone has the part number I could try calling a dealership.

I don't have a car now, haha, so I need to try and get a friend to pick me up the part.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Run a tap through it man. If you have dye run, it through the bolt. If don't have dye wire brush it good and lube it up and see how goes back in after you run a tap through the threads.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Run a tap through it man. If you have dye run, it through the bolt. If don't have dye wire brush it good and lube it up and see how goes back in after you run a tap through the threads.
I hear you - just thinking, why not get a new bolt if I can. Plus, don't think I have wire brushes, definitely not a tap.

·
Doesn't live on Mercury
924 Posts
def. run a tap through. Replace the bolts. I'd get the OE ones (they're kinda expensive for such shitty bolts, but w/e).

According to the ASA
12797Q -> MN119783 (you need 6)
12797X -> 1515A156 (you need 2)
12739X -> MR385722 (you need 2)
12739 -> MD132933 (you need 5)

Not sure why the discrepancy in numbers.

Attachments

·
Doesn't live on Mercury
924 Posts
Go buy a tap.. but it's hard to do on the car and you run the risk of f'ing it up worse. That bolt will HAVE to be replaced... if you run a new bolt through the jacked threads you're going to likely break the bolt on the way in and then you're f'ed. Try and retap it... the threads on the o2 housing SUCK.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should mention - I'm replacing the turbo and this is on an AMS downpipe. So are the threads on the turbo itself or the AMS downpipe?

It's totally seized now. I've soaked it in PB Blaster and called it a night (i.e. made a vodka tonic and said F' it). This is the ONLY bolt I have problems with. Just this one. Everything else is off and ready to go! Dammit.

So right now the bolt is stuck right now - what do I even do? Forget the tapping, how the hell do I get this thing out?

·
Doesn't live on Mercury
924 Posts
You're pulling the turbo that's in there? and replacing it with another one?

Crank that mother fucker till it breaks (which isn't much)... then let the new owner of your old turbo deal with getting the bolt out of the hotside (protip, buy lots of bits because as shitty as the mitsu bolts are, they take an act of god to drill out -- I've got about 12 hours under my belt doing it).

Those threads are on the turbo hotsize...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Since you're letting the bolt soak for the night, you might have some luck in getting it out, but don't hold your breath.

When replacing my downpipe for the first time, two of the bolts seized up. After trying to ease them out for a couple hours, I finally said screw this and broke them off. With the available drill I had, I had to remove the turbo to drill them out. Took 3 sets of bits, 2 days of drilling and 2 cases of beer!

The threads are on the turbo housing, so if you have to drill the bolt out, make sure you don't take too much metal out, so you (or a shop) can tap new threads in the housing.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
You're pulling the turbo that's in there? and replacing it with another one?

Crank that mother fucker till it breaks (which isn't much)... then let the new owner of your old turbo deal with getting the bolt out of the hotside (protip, buy lots of bits because as shitty as the mitsu bolts are, they take an act of god to drill out -- I've got about 12 hours under my belt doing it).

Those threads are on the turbo hotsize...
lol love the wording man!

It really should not break when its out that far man. But like Goofy said turn that bitch till she comes out or breaks since your swapping the turbo.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Exact same problem I have with the exact same bolt. Its been 2 weeks and i'm still drilling it. 2 bits a night 2 hours every night, i can't believe how hard that bolt is. I even dulled a 50 dollar carbide spade bit used to remove broken taps. I will eventually get it out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, well I'm just trying to get the turbo manifold off right now and that thing just does not want to come out.

Any tips how to pull that thing out? I'm pulling up to try and clear the top studs, but I can't and then of course its hung up on the bolts in the block. Am I missing something?

·
Doesn't live on Mercury
924 Posts
to pull the exhaust manifold...

pull the o2 housing
pull the nuts on the head
pull the bolt on the bottom of the turbo hotside to release it from the block (requires swivels and extensions)
pull the two bolts holding the coldside to the block under the intake

Then you will likely need a prybar to help lift and separate the two parts.

·
[Global Mod], ‹OO==[][]=ᴹᴲOO›
7,578 Posts
make sure the turbo is no longer connected to the brackets that connect to the block.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so I can't remove the downpipe from the turbo - so should I be able to remove the manifold with the AMS downpipe still attached to the hot side?

I believe all other bolts are off, but the drivers side seems to be catching something, or still be held on somewhere. I removed that crazy bolt from underneath that you need a swivel for.

No luck pulling the manifold though. I'm about out of ideas and somewhat dead in the water here. With that bolt on the downpipe stuck and being unable to get the rest of this stuff out of the car somehow I am not sure how to proceed.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Your saying you cannot remove this bolt

That is the only one left holding on the DP right? Put some balls on it or double over a wrench and break it off. Your doing turbo swap why worry about it.

·
Doesn't live on Mercury
924 Posts
does the exhaust manifold wiggle? Or is it still firmly in place? If it's still firmly in place then you've not removed all the nuts off the exhaust studs, the nuts off the turbo studs or the two bolts from the manifold to the turbo hot side.

If it's wiggling, pull your intake all the way to the turbo inlet, and remove the two bolts holding the cold side to the block.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Check out the Turbo removal and install instructions here, may help you identify what is hanging you up for removal:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbo_kits/turbo_kit_pdfs/Evo_Upgrade_Kit_Installation_Instructions_RevA.pdf

Also for removing that AMS O2 DP you should be able to spray PB Blaster heavily onto the threads as well as dab some anti-sieze on those threads with it half out like that. Then try turning it back in again and see if those bad threads get slicked up a bit. When removing it be sure that the bolt isn't being sideloaded as you remove since if all the weight of the DP and exhaust is hanging on that bolt as you are removing it, it's going to bind up big time.

You could put anti-sieze on one of the other easier to get to bolts and help support some of the weight or hold it up with your hand to make sure it's not binding up.

Let us know how it works out! Worst case snap the sucker off and remove it after the turbo is out of the car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok - oil drain line was holding it up - trying to pull the turbo and AMS downpipe out from the top now...standby...

Got it out - stupid of me missing the oil line. I actually couldn't get to the oil return line from the bottom of the car so I went at it from the rear where the turbo was and was able to get it in there. Then we got it all out be separating the hot side from the intake side of the turbo which made the hot side + AMS downpipe small enough to pull out from the top (otherwise we could not get it out from the top).

What an ordeal! Thanks so much for everyones suggestions, and especially taking the time to reply - seriously, I might have just given up, but getting any kind of response of suggestion kept me going and looking for ways to solve all of this.

Pictures of the bolt on page 3, or here: http://www.yourpicturehost.com/f_bolt.jpg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts