Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so iv never driven this car in the snow. this is gonna be my first time in this car driving in the snow.

what should i expect?
i was driving home 30 minutes ago, i have snow tires, traction control off(one click), and in tarmac mode. theres about 1/4 inch on fresh powder and i was going about 15mph and hit the brakes to see how slippery the road was and ABS instantly kicks in.

im assuming this is normal. should the car react differently if i havent turned off traction control?
how about while in snow mode, what should i expect?

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I dont really notice a gigantic difference with the tarmac.gravel/snow settings. I switch them around when applicable but i just dont see a huge difference - maybe cause im paying more attention to the road. Its good you have traction control off - i think its unsafe to have it on in general.

I suggest you go hit up an empty parking lot with some fresh powder and learn your car.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well im kinda used to driving with it with just TC off but havent really done yet in the snow. and well i notice at that slow of a speed by ABS kick in soo fast.
would i not eperiece that if leave everything alone and just keep the car in all normal mood. plus i never change my mode out of tarmac

·
Registered
845 Posts
I dont really notice a gigantic difference with the tarmac.gravel/snow settings. I switch them around when applicable but i just dont see a huge difference - maybe cause im paying more attention to the road. Its good you have traction control off - i think its unsafe to have it on in general.

I suggest you go hit up an empty parking lot with some fresh powder and learn your car.
this. it's good to learn how your car controls and how much power it can handle turning before slipping. I haven't one clicked turn off my traction yet, might be good for deeper snow so it doesn't cut power when you don't want it to...

well im kinda used to driving with it with just TC off but havent really done yet in the snow. and well i notice at that slow of a speed by ABS kick in soo fast.
would i not eperiece that if leave everything alone and just keep the car in all normal mood. plus i never change my mode out of tarmac
I find ABS kicks in quite fast too. may depend on the tire and also what type of snow you get.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Not an insane difference between switching through tarmac/gravel/snow. The priority of torque shift changes.

If you are out there in a parking lot for "fun", keep it in gravel, turn off the AYC (hold for 3 sec) instead of just pressing it and start doing figure 8s. Yes, you can do figure 8s if you have the SST, sport + manual + hand brake is the formula.

If you are out there to "learn". Start with the traction control ON and try to controllably loose your traction by gassing up and turning the wheel at one way then another. Then try it with the TC turned of (one click) same thing then do it with AYC off (hold for 3 sec).

I will suggest you this, do it in a parking lot with NO poles too close to each other in case you loose too much control ;)

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not an insane difference between switching through tarmac/gravel/snow. The priority of torque shift changes.

If you are out there in a parking lot for "fun", keep it in gravel, turn off the AYC (hold for 3 sec) instead of just pressing it and start doing figure 8s. Yes, you can do figure 8s if you have the SST, sport + manual + hand brake is the formula.

If you are out there to "learn". Start with the traction control ON and try to controllably loose your traction by gassing up and turning the wheel at one way then another. Then try it with the TC turned of (one click) same thing then do it with AYC off (hold for 3 sec).

I will suggest you this, do it in a parking lot with NO poles too close to each other in case you loose too much control ;)
i have the SST. one click just disable my traction but it still does partial throttle cut. AYC off basically means balls out lol. but still my main question does does any of this affect the ABS? i thought it kick it too fast or is this all normal?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Like with any car, FWD, RWD, AWD, always drive with a sense of caution for the inevitable. Keep a open cushion on all 4 sides...especially the sides, because people are morons. I'm always cautious to who's driving around me. I never let anyone on my sides for too long...I usually will just drop back a little on my speed. I've seen idiots sliding around in their lanes and then taking out other unsuspecting cars next to them.
I've seen way to many people smack up because they thought they were invincible rally drivers.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this. it's good to learn how your car controls and how much power it can handle turning before slipping. I haven't one clicked turn off my traction yet, might be good for deeper snow so it doesn't cut power when you don't want it to...

I find ABS kicks in quite fast too. may depend on the tire and also what type of snow you get.
nankang viva sv-1 snow tires. and i was in fresh poweder snow. 1/4 inch of snow, the road had a nice fresh coat. the abs kicked in soo fast it startled me. but im unsure if its normal on an evo. i used to drive a slammed accord with no ABS

What's snow?

Seriously upset I'll never get to experience snow driving in this car, but glad at the same time since I hate cold weather and the effects salt has on such a machine.
i was born in LA and was raised in Ontario california. i missed the roads there. but know i will never live there because of the strict emissions and inspection. never knew what snow was till i moved to michigan about 12 yrs ago lol

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
i have the SST. one click just disable my traction but it still does partial throttle cut. AYC off basically means balls out lol. but still my main question does does any of this affect the ABS? i thought it kick it too fast or is this all normal?
Doesnt affect ABS, and btw Tarmac, gravel, and snow are misnamed that confuses ppl. It's should be low, med, high. There's a thread devoted to it... Don't get hung up on what each is called, they
Are three different modes of TC that allow different amounts of slippage to the wheels. The three modes somewhat correspond to what normal ppl look for when driving in snow/gravel/Tarmac, but like I said earlier, they are just different modes of computer aided
Involvement

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like with any car, FWD, RWD, AWD, always drive with a sense of caution for the inevitable. Keep a open cushion on all 4 sides...especially the sides, because people are morons. I'm always cautious to who's driving around me. I never let anyone on my sides for too long...I usually will just drop back a little on my speed. I've seen idiots sliding around in their lanes and then taking out other unsuspecting cars next to them.
I've seen way to many people smack up because they thought they were invincible rally drivers.
im a very cautious and almost a paranoid F**KEN driver in the snow. i do the same as you when people are close to me.

·
Registered
817 Posts
it doesnt cut the throttle if you constantly keep your RPM's high and keep pushing down the pedal. Just a bit more than usual. AYC is balls out haha, but you will want to see how it is. If you have driven a RWD, AWD is still so much better even with everything off. Meaning it is still very hard to just spin out every time you gun it.

ABS will always be kicking in as there is no way you can just "click this for off", I actually never had the ABS kicking in "too fast". It might be because if I am doing something like this in a parking lot or closed course, I do not brake. I just cut the throttle and let the car stop itself. Plus braking = very bad on ice/snow thus I learned to avoid it when I first started driving.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doesnt affect ABS, and btw Tarmac, gravel, and snow are misnamed that confuses ppl. It's should be low, med, high. There's a thread devoted to it... Don't get hung up on what each is called, they
Are three different modes of TC that allow different amounts of slippage to the wheels. The three modes somewhat correspond to what normal ppl look for when driving in snow/gravel/Tarmac, but like I said earlier, they are just different modes of computer aided
Involvement

yeah this is what i kinda get confuse about when people say slippage to the wheel. so im guessing the ABS is very sensitive in this car. does turning off AYC disable ABS too? just wanna know, chances of me doing that is slim to none. only traction control off is enough for me

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Btw I also have an SE with the SST, and the post about getting her loose it correct, yank the e brake and control throttle input, just remember not to smack the throttle limiter... I had similar yet different problems with over boosting my SST n my clutches opened up and I over reved through my block. It was a tuning issue. But just letting my fellow SST owner to b careful

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it doesnt cut the throttle if you constantly keep your RPM's high and keep pushing down the pedal. Just a bit more than usual. AYC is balls out haha, but you will want to see how it is. If you have driven a RWD, AWD is still so much better even with everything off. Meaning it is still very hard to just spin out every time you gun it.

ABS will always be kicking in as there is no way you can just "click this for off", I actually never had the ABS kicking in "too fast". It might be because if I am doing something like this in a parking lot or closed course, I do not brake. I just cut the throttle and let the car stop itself. Plus braking = very bad on ice/snow thus I learned to avoid it when I first started driving.
never driven an rwd in my life. only a slammed accord with no ABS and bald summer tires. and for about 3 months last year i drove my brother's 06 330xi. maybe i forgot what ABS feels like and im just paranoid

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
never driven an rwd in my life. only a slammed accord with no ABS and bald summer tires. and for about 3 months last year i drove my brother's 06 330xi. maybe i forgot what ABS feels like and im just paranoid
Here's a solution... Don't brake and just power through it.......

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Btw I also have an SE with the SST, and the post about getting her loose it correct, yank the e brake and control throttle input, just remember not to smack the throttle limiter... I had similar yet different problems with over boosting my SST n my clutches opened up and I over reved through my block. It was a tuning issue. But just letting my fellow SST owner to b careful

i'll only be pulling ebrakes in a HUGE EMPTY lot. i wont do it on the streets and more (learned my lesson with wayyyy to many close encounters now im scared)

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
i'll only be pulling ebrakes in a HUGE EMPTY lot. i wont do it on the streets and more (learned my lesson with wayyyy to many close encounters now im scared)
Not going to lie. Ive pulled her
To do a u turn onto an on ramp. It works....as I'm posting this maybe i realize I'm beating on my car
Too
Hard

1 - 20 of 69 Posts