Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have a few simple questions here today. One, if I were to get a K&N Typhoon Intake <http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=69-6546twr>, would I need a tune? Could it be tune from an access-port? Or does it have to be from a dyno? Also, I have a cat*delete pipe that I'm looking to get bolted on to my car. But same question, do I need a dyno tune? Or would it be easier for me to use an access-port? I guess the main subject here is can I tune my car, using an access-port, to fit a cat*pipe and an intake, or does it have to get a dyno tune?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes you need to adjust your MAF calibration tables for the intake you are running. This can be done via the AP by following the guide on Cobb's site. No need to dyno tune. Just make sure your LTFT's are +/-5% afterwards. If not, I can show you how to do a proper MAF cal.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
^ What he said.

One thing though, if intake is using stock MAF body, the tune is not necessary, though recommended, but you don't need to re-calibrate your MAF - IF INTAKE IS USING STOCK MAF BODY which looks like it does.

With test pipe though, it's a really really good idea to get tune, because it's knows to throw off boost a bit, and can cause potential engine failures.

Tune can be from the predefined maps in the AP, or you can go eTune way, which is cheaper than dyno and waaaay better than AP maps.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Get a wideband and tactrix, do datalogs, otherwise you will have no idea what is going on in your engine. I would not have installed these without a tuner assisting me.
When I did my boltons, my tuner gave me a base safety map, and I limped home, I did not use the boost until he checked the LTFT idle and LTFT cruise and STFT with a 5 min warmed up idle and 5 min highway cruise, only after that he gave me boost gradually and did the pulls.
Stay out of boost until you get tuned or you can have a very expecieve repair bill waiting.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have to ask why you chose the typhoon intake?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts