Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking of mixing 1 gallon of e85 in with each full tank of 93 octane just to give some added comfort. I am seeing some very rando. 1-2 counts of knock every once in a while and I just want it gone. I have heard of people mixing small amounts of e85 with regular gas with success.

Has anyone ever tried this in the evo x? I used a special e85 mixing calculator and found out that I could boost my octane up to 95 with just one gallon of e85 per fillup. Thats not bad at all! Plus the e85 station is right down the road....I am plannin on converting to full e85 at some point but not right now. Any ideas? Input? I have been wondering if this would require a marginal increase in fuel to keep AFR's stable? Im not sure 1 gallon would really make that much of a difference though? 12 parts 93 octane unleaded/ 1 part E85....Sounds good???

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
my concern with doing this, is I dont know if it would mix perfectly so every ounce of fuel is 95 octane. I guess as long as your not tuning for 95 octane and doing this and your only trying to eliminate some light knock you should be fine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed! Thats was another concern but I am going to keep my tune for 93 and then once i get a professional tune(without any knock) or tune for E85 I will just stop mixing. Im kind of surprised noone has tried this though. It seems like a relatively inexpensive and easy way to increase octane??? I wonder if I am missing something other than the inconsistencies and possibility of needing to add fuel??

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Umm, if you have access to e85 to do this, man the F up and run straight E85 lol. I always find it funny when guys do this. It will be a negligible power adder doing 1 gallon, if anything it just makes your setup more likely to f up as people will try to tune it harder.

Not trying to be a dick at all, but maybe I am since its still monday morning and I am crabby but just run E85 if you can. Don't bother mixing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Umm, if you have access to e85 to do this, man the F up and run straight E85 lol. I always find it funny when guys do this. It will be a negligible power adder doing 1 gallon, if anything it just makes your setup more likely to f up as people will try to tune it harder.

Not trying to be a dick at all, but maybe I am since its still monday morning and I am crabby but just run E85 if you can. Don't bother mixing.
:+1:

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Yes this would increase octane rating, but E-85 requires more fuel to produce the same power. As a result, if you say put in 10 or 15% e-85 the same amount of fuel would pack less of a punch than standard 93, though it may resist detonation more. Hence why everyone has to go big ass injectors for e-85.

·
aka DolEvoX
1,554 Posts
umm, if you have access to e85 to do this, man the f up and run straight e85 lol. I always find it funny when guys do this. It will be a negligible power adder doing 1 gallon, if anything it just makes your setup more likely to f up as people will try to tune it harder.

Not trying to be a dick at all, but maybe i am since its still monday morning and i am crabby but just run e85 if you can. Don't bother mixing.

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
:+1::+1::wtfsign::+1::+1:

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
The MAzdaspeed3 and 6 guys run a mix with no ill effects. They've been doing so for awhile now. Their DI injectors flow like 2100cc PI injectors so they can get away with that type of nonsense. Guys are making over 500 on stock injectors and E85 mixes. usually they do a 30-50% mix.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If the mix is strictly to reduce knock it might work out for you but i cant see a good reason to mix long term. Mix to stop your knock until you get an e85 tune if you have to but I wouldn't try to tune to a higher octane rating on a mix.

how many counts of knock are you getting and how often?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol I hear you guys...And I AM planning on doing the 100% E85 thing in the future. this "mixing" is not going to be to make more power. It is just a temporary fix for the knock I am getting on my OTS ma[p which is occasional 1-2 counts. I am NOT going to retune with this mix...I will retune to 100% E85 in a couple months when I get a chance to go and visit Clipse3gt but until then I was just going to use this to help eliminate the knock. I repeat, I am not looking for this to add power.... :) I am going to be running my regular 93 octane tune....Then once I have the 1300cc inj and fuel pump and the rest of my bolt ons I will get the e85 tune which I am hoping will be in less than 3 months so this whole "12/1 gas/E85 thing would only be a temporary solution to help improve combustion characteristics of the gas.

BTW, thank you for everyone that chimed in!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

If your going to mix you might as well use Xylene with 93 octane, or just run straight E85.
The whole reason I am considering the e85 mixing is because it is so convenient...Buying xylene would defeat the purpose and just cause more headache. E85 is 2 minutes away from me so to go and get my gas from there is no problem. Plus I really dont think the knock I am getting is a big deal because it is only occasional and not heavy amounts so I really most likely dont need anything but I am anal and would be happy to put some e85 in for peace of mind...Ya know?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
You can't avoid occasional 1-2 counts of knock when running 93. I haven't seen your logs, but I would bet your tune is running just fine.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You can't avoid occasional 1-2 counts of knock when running 93. I haven't seen your logs, but I would bet your tune is running just fine.
this. Occasional 1-2 knock count is normal. If the knock is consistent at a certain rpm or load then it might be worth looking into, but if they are just random 1-2 knock counts I would run 93 and not hassle with the mixing at all before your tune.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Moreover, if the knock is consistent in the 6250-7k band, more likely than not it's false knock which is really common with our cars in that RPM range.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.