Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what kinda of expections we are to expect from an ECU upgrade. i don't know much about the previous generations of the EVO, since my knowledge is Audi/VW based. but with the 2.0T FSI you could expect somewhere between 30-50 in both hp and tq. can i expect the same for the 4B11T?

thanks.

· Registered
10,012 Posts
Word is that for the UK market there 'might' be a version called the FQ360.
This will be pushing 360HP. ( there has been a FQ400 in the past - but no plans have been announced for one for the Evo X).

The 360HP for the FQ360 is rumoured to be achieved with ONLY the stock ECU remapped and simple exhaust mods. Nothing else.

I had an NZ tuner contact me wanting to download my ECU ROM last week to do some more research on this. I declined as I dont really want anyone playing with my baby's ECU yet. However I'm trying to get this file direct from MMC NZ .... let me know if anyone here has that data.. would be very cool to check out what 'conservative' mapping MMC has used for the X.

Sooooo I think most people would be happy to know that they could probably get 360HP with the factory ECU with a simple re-flash.. ;) up from "280HP".

I think the stock ECU may be able to take you to 400HP but will let you know in a years time when I start playing.

· Registered
10,012 Posts
That's good news.

BTW - just from allowing him to download your ROM, he'll just be reading it, right? So it shouldn't alter anything...
Oh yes I know. The tuner wasnt too sure about where MMC would hide the interface this time and whether they would be using the same interface pins.. so I just didnt want him to fiddle under the dash.. maybe after the new car smell has gone ;). Also Im always a little cagey about how simple things might be. Being in the IT industry Ive known a lot to go wrong so I figure better to be safe until I really want to start playing. I have a good relationship with MMC NZ so will try and get the ROM through official channels although I dont know how kind they would be.

· Registered
847 Posts
The only thing I don't like about EcuTek is that traditionally, it's not end user tunable.
Neither is the HKS F-Con V-Pro that I run in my Evo VIII. Traditionally it's been well noted that the more exclusive the tunability of the engine is, the less you'll be hearing about 'Pandora's Box'.

With the advent of the Tactrix cable for the Evolution, many people are attempting to tweak their ECUs, effectively putting the scalpel in the hands of the masses to do surgery.

Many horror stories go untold due to embarassment. Engine tuning should be left in the hands of those who are capable enough of understanding that which they are doing. People try to make it seem like all they have to do is adjust an ignition map and a fuel map and they are done. They tend to overlook load maps and corellation to boost in forced induction applications. Hell, the dyno time alone to do a self tune is sometimes more expensive than going to a full fledged tuner.

I personally will be working with a very reputable tuner to unmask the secrets of the Evo ECU and we will be using EcuTek to do so. As it stands the FQ series Evo Xs will also be using EcuTek to harness their power.

· Registered
10,012 Posts
Neither is the HKS F-Con V-Pro that I run in my Evo VIII. Traditionally it's been well noted that the more exclusive the tunability of the engine is, the less you'll be hearing about 'Pandora's Box'.

With the advent of the Tactrix cable for the Evolution, many people are attempting to tweak their ECUs, effectively putting the scalpel in the hands of the masses to do surgery.

Many horror stories go untold due to embarassment. Engine tuning should be left in the hands of those who are capable enough of understanding that which they are doing. People try to make it seem like all they have to do is adjust an ignition map and a fuel map and they are done. They tend to overlook load maps and corellation to boost in forced induction applications. Hell, the dyno time alone to do a self tune is sometimes more expensive than going to a full fledged tuner.

I personally will be working with a very reputable tuner to unmask the secrets of the Evo ECU and we will be using EcuTek to do so. As it stands the FQ series Evo Xs will also be using EcuTek to harness their power.
Awesome! will be interested in your progress.

· Registered
137 Posts
This is all interesting and good news, as I think most of us will definitely want a power upgrade ! :)

May I ask, all this talk and figures mentioned here, have to solely to do with re-mapping/flashing yes ???

I assume then that the rest of the 4B11's mechanical package is up to the job - ie: turbo type/size, injectors and all internals etc.

I would assume the exhaust system needs to be upgraded as to achieve those numbers ??

Chris mentioned up to 450hp - is this re-map alone or other modifications also...

· Registered
10,012 Posts
This is all interesting and good news, as I think most of us will definitely want a power upgrade ! :)

May I ask, all this talk and figures mentioned here, have to solely to do with re-mapping/flashing yes ???

I assume then that the rest of the 4B11's mechanical package is up to the job - ie: turbo type/size, injectors and all internals etc.

I would assume the exhaust system needs to be upgraded as to achieve those numbers ??

Chris mentioned up to 450hp - is this re-map alone or other modifications also...
Evo's have always been over engineered. There are a couple of early evos in my club running 400HP with stock internals.

These are my expectations ( only my expectations until I actually start playing and get some hard data)

206 to 250 KWs..ECU reflash only
250 to 300 kws.. ECU reflash, exhaust incl decat, and filter
300-400kws.. above + (fuel pump/fuel rail/fuel system) and possible internals, possible Piggy back computer system.

· Registered
137 Posts
Evo's have always been over engineered. There are a couple of early evos in my club running 400HP with stock internals.

These are my expectations ( only my expectations until I actually start playing and get some hard data)

206 to 250 KWs..ECU reflash only
250 to 300 kws.. ECU reflash, exhaust incl decat, and filter
300-400kws.. above + fuel pump, fuel rail and possible internals, possible Piggy back computer system.

Thanks on2it :)

That answers my questions :)

250-300kw upgrade as you've mentioned above is exactly what I had in mind when/if I get one of these :)

· Administrator
24,306 Posts

That's great and all, but I'm an experienced tuner, not some random Joe. I'm simply not interested in something that is untunable.

· Administrator
24,306 Posts
I don't know much about the turbo in the X. Based on the fact that the motor is anemic at the high rpms (coupled with the fact that the turbo has more low end power than the IX), I'm somewhat worried that the turbo may be too small to breathe properly at the top of the rev band. However, this is just speculation on my part. There are plenty of other things that could contribute to that.

· Registered
137 Posts
I don't know much about the turbo in the X. Based on the fact that the motor is anemic at the high rpms (coupled with the fact that the turbo has more low end power than the IX), I'm somewhat worried that the turbo may be too small to breathe properly at the top of the rev band. However, this is just speculation on my part. There are plenty of other things that could contribute to that.
Good point, it does seem that way as it's common knowledge the X has more low down grunt with more linear delivery throughout low to midrange revs which usually = smaller turbo....

We'll have to wait and see as people and tuners 'play' with the 4B11T and find out what it's all about in terms of modifications....

I don't think it'll take too long once the cars have been released for this to happen, Evos, Wrxs etc. are always amongst the quickest cars to have aftermarket products of all sorts available :)

· Registered
949 Posts
I think the work AGP is doing right now will open up some more interesting ideas on the turbo flow etc. I am already impressed by how much power they are pulling from no ECU tuning. This ECU must be a quick responder to these changes. Personally I cant wait to see the MIVEC tables for the intake side. Thats where it will be fun to play with some values and see how the different profiles can change your acceleration curves.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.