Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... well i've tried alomost everything to make ecuflash work before posting on here w/ no luck so i'm hoping someone can help me resolve my issue.

Ecuflash recently stopped working... I've tried un installing and re installing and nothing... Also tried erasing and re loading my windows7 and still nothing.

Ecuflash is giving me a "unknown rom" message... then I go to golden's site and identify my rom and it gives me the tephra rom 52680122 which I then download as a .xml file from "the other site" and then it gives me a "ecuflash has stopped working" message once I install the tephra 52680122 file into the rommdata folder under the evo directory.

Ecuflash was working great for days and then just stopped out of no where...

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.....

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Reinstalled Windows? Ouch, I've got nothing for you if you went as far to do that.

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Actually: It's kind of a noobish suggestion, but try running EcuFlash as an administrator to rule out file system permissions issues.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Ughhh.. I had a bitch of time with ecuflash when I first started tuning back in the spring.. Did you try all this below?

; for Windows XP users we recommend to install the EcuFlash 1.42
; for Vista/Windows 7 users we recommend to install the 1.43 beta version
; accept all defaults when prompted, do not install to a different directory
; best practice is to install EcuFlash first, after drivers are loaded, then plug in the Openport 2.0 (it will install it's drivers)
-------------------Uninstall/Reinstall-------------------
; EcuFlash recommended steps to de-install/re-install to the beta version (1.43)
; steps must be performed in the exact sequence for optimal results
; use the DEEP SCRUB procedure to completely eliminate previous files
1. Make sure the OpenPort cable is NOT connected to your computer
2. In Add/Remove Programs, uninstall all versions of EcuFlash and all drivers with OpenPort, Tactrix, or FTDI in the name. (SEE DEEP SCRUB)
3. In program files, delete the OpenECU folder.
4. Delete any EcuFlash shortcuts that you have on the desktop or elsewhere.
5. Reboot.
6. Download and install the latest version of EcuFlash 1.43 (beta). http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=65. For Vista/Win7 users, right click the EcuFlash installer and select “run as admin”.
7. Plug the OpenPort cable into a USB port on your computer.
8. When Windows asks to connect to windows update, select NO, then select “install the software automatically”. This may occur twice before the driver install is finished.

DEEP SCRUB:
Sometimes the driver just won't work no matter how much you install/uninstall EcuFlash. This happens 1% of the time, and to fix this, you need to go into the c:\windows\inf\ folder and do a windows search "in file contents" for the word FTDI and delete just those specific inf files. (On my PC I found oem10.inf oem11.inf oem12.inf oem14.inf.) Then reinstall from the EcuFlash installer, then it will work.
(Remember x86 means 32bit windows, and x64 means 64bit version of windows.)
On some strange situations, when plugging in the "FTDI USB to Serial COM" cable it pops up a message informing you that the driver was not digitally signed correctly and will be disabled. This can be fixed by going to the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder and deleting ftser2k.sys and then UN-installing the driver, plug the cable back in, and reinstalling if requested, using the FTDI driver that comes with ECUFlash in the drivers folder.
BTW, if you are looking for the drivers, EcuFlash has a spare copy of the drivers in their installation folders in case you need them again.
Here are those folder locations:
32-vit version of Windows ->
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenEcu\EcuFlash\drivers\openport 1.3\
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenEcu\EcuFlash\drivers\openport 2.0\
64-bit version of Windows ->
C:\Program Files\OpenEcu\EcuFlash\drivers\openport 1.3\
C:\Program Files\OpenEcu\EcuFlash\drivers\openport 2.0\
double click DPInst.exe to run this driver installation program.
Also if windows asks for a driver folder, you can point it at the right folder above.
Also, make sure that everytime you run Ecuflash, you run it as administrator - you can set it up to do this every time by modifying the EcuFlash

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually: It's kind of a noobish suggestion, but try running EcuFlash as an administrator to rule out file system permissions issues.

Tried that and it gives me the "ecuflash stop working message" :(

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also couldn't get 1.43 to work with W7.. I use 1.42

It seems like 1.42 loads the map but I cant see data... Is that normal for the 1.42 ver.?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Okay so I seriously just got done having a lot of the same damn issues. It drives me absolutely nuts. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program so so so many times it wasn't funny. It just seemed like no matter what I did it kept same settings on the thing even when it was redone.

But make sure that the thing is using the proper folder for your rommetadata. Mine kept trying to use the desktop. I also redownloaded all of the xml for my car. Anything that said 2008 USDM SST I redid. Then with tephra mod I removed the beginning to it so that it only said 52690122 rather than tephraXMOD-52690122. After all that and still running in admin mode it worked. I wrestled with this for a long time and I hope that that helps you out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ughhh.. I had a bitch of time with ecuflash when I first started tuning back in the spring.. Did you try all this below?

; for Windows XP users we recommend to install the EcuFlash 1.42
; for Vista/Windows 7 users we recommend to install the 1.43 beta version
; accept all defaults when prompted, do not install to a different directory
; best practice is to install EcuFlash first, after drivers are loaded, then plug in the Openport 2.0 (it will install it's drivers)
-------------------Uninstall/Reinstall-------------------
; EcuFlash recommended steps to de-install/re-install to the beta version (1.43)
; steps must be performed in the exact sequence for optimal results
; use the DEEP SCRUB procedure to completely eliminate previous files
1. Make sure the OpenPort cable is NOT connected to your computer
2. In Add/Remove Programs, uninstall all versions of EcuFlash and all drivers with OpenPort, Tactrix, or FTDI in the name. (SEE DEEP SCRUB)
3. In program files, delete the OpenECU folder.
4. Delete any EcuFlash shortcuts that you have on the desktop or elsewhere.
5. Reboot.
6. Download and install the latest version of EcuFlash 1.43 (beta). http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=65. For Vista/Win7 users, right click the EcuFlash installer and select “run as admin”.
7. Plug the OpenPort cable into a USB port on your computer.
8. When Windows asks to connect to windows update, select NO, then select “install the software automatically”. This may occur twice before the driver install is finished.

DEEP SCRUB:
Sometimes the driver just won't work no matter how much you install/uninstall EcuFlash. This happens 1% of the time, and to fix this, you need to go into the c:\windows\inf\ folder and do a windows search "in file contents" for the word FTDI and delete just those specific inf files. (On my PC I found oem10.inf oem11.inf oem12.inf oem14.inf.) Then reinstall from the EcuFlash installer, then it will work.
(Remember x86 means 32bit windows, and x64 means 64bit version of windows.)
On some strange situations, when plugging in the "FTDI USB to Serial COM" cable it pops up a message informing you that the driver was not digitally signed correctly and will be disabled. This can be fixed by going to the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder and deleting ftser2k.sys and then UN-installing the driver, plug the cable back in, and reinstalling if requested, using the FTDI driver that comes with ECUFlash in the drivers folder.
BTW, if you are looking for the drivers, EcuFlash has a spare copy of the drivers in their installation folders in case you need them again.
Here are those folder locations:
32-vit version of Windows ->
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenEcu\EcuFlash\drivers\openport 1.3\
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenEcu\EcuFlash\drivers\openport 2.0\
64-bit version of Windows ->
C:\Program Files\OpenEcu\EcuFlash\drivers\openport 1.3\
C:\Program Files\OpenEcu\EcuFlash\drivers\openport 2.0\
double click DPInst.exe to run this driver installation program.
Also if windows asks for a driver folder, you can point it at the right folder above.
Also, make sure that everytime you run Ecuflash, you run it as administrator - you can set it up to do this every time by modifying the EcuFlash
Tried this... No luck :(

Okay so I seriously just got done having a lot of the same damn issues. It drives me absolutely nuts. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program so so so many times it wasn't funny. It just seemed like no matter what I did it kept same settings on the thing even when it was redone.

But make sure that the thing is using the proper folder for your rommetadata. Mine kept trying to use the desktop. I also redownloaded all of the xml for my car. Anything that said 2008 USDM SST I redid. Then with tephra mod I removed the beginning to it so that it only said 52690122 rather than tephraXMOD-52690122. After all that and still running in admin mode it worked. I wrestled with this for a long time and I hope that that helps you out.

Tried this as well... Besides replacing all my 08 evo x .xml files and no luck either....

I'll see if i can do that today or maybe try everything again...

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Make sure you have a new 52680015.xml file from my site.

To debug what is crashing your EcuFlash, open your T-Mods xml file 52680122 and comment out the include line.

Before:
<include>52680022</include>

After:
<!-- <include>52680022</include> -->

Then try to open it. That should open it just fine, as there really aren't any tables to crash on.

Lastly, make sure you don't have any old xml files in your RomMetaData folder, like 52680015.save.xml. EcuFlash may be reading that file instead of your real 52680015.xml.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make sure you have a new 52680015.xml file from my site.

To debug what is crashing your EcuFlash, open your T-Mods xml file 52680122 and comment out the include line.

Before:
<include>52680022</include>

After:
<!-- <include>52680022</include> -->

Then try to open it. That should open it just fine, as there really aren't any tables to crash on.

Lastly, make sure you don't have any old xml files in your RomMetaData folder, like 52680015.save.xml. EcuFlash may be reading that file instead of your real 52680015.xml.
Still not working... Gives me the same messages :(

Any other suggest...Thanks?

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Make a new folder in your Ecuflash folder, right next to rommetadata. Name it rom test. In there, add the 3 files that you need. Point EcuFlash to that new folder. That should work or help you figure out what is happening.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help guys :thumbup:

We where able to figure it out :rock:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice!! Curious how you got it working??
We tried everything and finally Hollywood came up w/ replacing ALL the .xml files and BOOM :D it worked...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL but isn't that what I told you I did and you said no such luck?
Lol... Yeah. It was strange cause I tried doing that twice w/ files from different sites and it didnt work at that time. But once i jumped on the phone w/ Hollywood, he trouble shooted it w/ me and it ended up working that time. Honestly...i think i was doing something wrong the 1st couple of times...

Thanks for the help tho :thumbup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Haha I just had to give you a hard time. I erased and put in the xml files about three times before they finally read like they were suppose too!!

ECU flash is a PITA but its still and amazingly amazing program. Especially for FREE! Thats why I try to run Ubuntu on almost anything. I like the idea of freeware.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts