Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys ,

I think its the time for me to build my engine , ill keep it 2.0l
am thinking to get new pistones , connecting rods , bearing , oil pump and gaskits whateva it takes fot the build .

my question is my car doing 43495 Miles now . so shall I take stock size pistons and drop in , or i have to take 0.5 bigger and do and honing job to the core ?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
:rock:

ok I do respect your knowlege bro , so u suggest u do all the core treatment which i like to do like hot tank and honing and smoothing .

but yet still shall i stick to the piston OEM size the 86 or 86.5 and why ?
86mm is good, unless you have sleeve damage dont bother with 86.5mm. u wont gain power and only weaken your stock sleeves.

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
If you're going to build your engine your best bet is to contact an engine builder, take your car in, and have them assess what needs to be done. We all can armchair build your engine. Even me, who knows very little about the actual work. But, since we're not able to inspect your car, check everything out, and make an educated decision, you should take it to an expert. In person. IRL, if you will.

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,500 Posts
find a reputable shop with EVOs, no civics mustangs etc. then stay in the 2 or 2.2 liter . talk to them about build your engine. that is best idea.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Drop in pistons is never a good idea
I'd agree with this except in the case of when you buy a new mitsu OEM short block...then its not a bad idea to just do 86mm pistons as you haven't made the initial ring sealing bond yet. So no need for honing or boring :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
What kind of parts are you looking to drop in?

Also +1 for having an engine builder check it out before you buy the parts.

Also OP where are you located?

·
Vendor
543 Posts
With a new OEM block 86mm pistons (depending on the manufacturer) may yield a near perfect piston to wall right out of the box. With 40k miles I would strongly recommend honing, but as mentioned above going 86.5mm makes the sleeves a bit too thin for our liking. I would recommend a custom piston that is just over 86mm that would allow for a good hone without the need for an overbore. I would be happy to help you out :)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
At the OP: how much power are you making with your current mods?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd agree with this except in the case of when you buy a new mitsu OEM short block...then its not a bad idea to just do 86mm pistons as you haven't made the initial ring sealing bond yet. So no need for honing or boring :)
yes i agree

What kind of parts are you looking to drop in?

Also +1 for having an engine builder check it out before you buy the parts.

Also OP where are you located?
I located in Bahrain so far away from you :)

With a new OEM block 86mm pistons (depending on the manufacturer) may yield a near perfect piston to wall right out of the box. With 40k miles I would strongly recommend honing, but as mentioned above going 86.5mm makes the sleeves a bit too thin for our liking. I would recommend a custom piston that is just over 86mm that would allow for a good hone without the need for an overbore. I would be happy to help you out :)
Hi Chris , well yeah i guess ill stick to the stock pistons size , am in contact with Adam and Nate from Map to get this done . all my parts came from Map , Adam was great help so I might take a risk and build the engine here and take some tips from Nate or i might ship my core to MAP but as u know shipping core from where i live @ least will cost me 800$ one way .

At the OP: how much power are you making with your current mods?
X Army based on Mainline dyno my car doin 389 whp which = 460 in Dynojet that was before installing Map manifold

Dyno vid

you may think the numbers are high in dynojet but mainline is a heart breaker , i mean my friend evo 7 int he vid doing 11.14 sec using street tires , with proper tires its 10sec car and mainline reading was 498 whp

here a drag strip vid of the black evo 7

·
Vendor
543 Posts
Hi Chris , well yeah i guess ill stick to the stock pistons size , am in contact with Adam and Nate from Map to get this done . all my parts came from Map , Adam was great help so I might take a risk and build the engine here and take some tips from Nate or i might ship my core to MAP but as u know shipping core from where i live @ least will cost me 800$ one way .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rxMg7csCvo&feature=related
If I was you I would source a new core to have us build for you so that we only have to ship one way and then try and sell your existing shortblock locally (if it is still intact that is lol)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I was you I would source a new core to have us build for you so that we only have to ship one way and then try and sell your existing shortblock locally (if it is still intact that is lol)

i guess am going to keep my shorblock and order new one , because shipping my block alone to you guys will cost me a new core :duh: .

·
Vendor
543 Posts
We have several customers in Bahrain :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts