Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, well i know I need a professional to look at my car to really figure out whats wrong, and I have every intention of having my evo towed to the dealer asap.

I thought I would post here though and see what you guys think this might be?

Well, i think i have some bad news. So today was the first day I had the chance to change my oil. From my other post, my engine had an oil leak, from the filter (you can see why below) and there was only about 1 quart of oil in the evo, and the engine started to make a clanking sound (as heard in the video) on my way home from work one night. Car starts up fine, but you can hear that noise sometimes at idle, and always when you touch the gas. There are 4.5 fresh quarts of oil in her now, and a new oil filter.

I pulled the drain plug and about 1 quart of oil came out. Put the drain plug back on, and then took off the oil filter. Oil filter was a bitch to get off, but once it was loose it came off with ease. I found the cause of my leak/problem I believe. As you can see in the picture below, i believe the gasket from my old filter was still up there when I put the new one on. I didnt see this, and hence that explains why i had a leak. My solution for this was to tighten the living shit out of the filter, and doing this kept it from leaking and i have been driving arround for almost 2 months that way. I guess something happend to cause it to suddenly start leaking, and hence my problem.

Now, I did get the new filter on there, and got new oil in the car, but it sounds like not having the oil in there did some serious damage. It sounds like either rod knock or maybe piston slap, but honestly I dont know enough about engines to tell. I think I shouldnt drive it, and will probably need to have her towed to the dealer to find out whats really wrong, but I figured I would post here to get an idea of what the deal might be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTx-kw7rV9g&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
That's not a good noise. At all. I agree with your initial assessment of possible rod knock, and as such, the car shouldn't be driven in its current state. IF it's rod know, it's engine build time.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
damn man. id say get it towed to the dealer and see what they can do about that. who changed the oil?
that sound made me cringe and puckered up my butthole lol.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the oil.... Yea it made me cringe too. Not happy right now.

So if it turns out a rebuild is needed how much $$$ are we talking ballpark. Should I rebuild with aftermarket parts, and what can I get done to make more reliable and more power, and will rebuilding engine components require a retune since I am tuned with an aftermarket turbo and would I need to take it to maybe a tuning shop to have this done and not the dealer for the best bang for the buck? Problem is i live in DE not much here... My tuner was in NY i could only imagine the tow bill to tow from here to there.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
If you do a 2.0 build and stay with the same compression ratio, you shouldn't need a new tune immediately, though if you upgrade components, you could probably tune for more power. The route you take is going to depend on your budget. At the very least, the motor will need pulled and if it's a rod bearing, you're looking at replacing all the bearings and machining the crank. Gonna be a couple of grand at least, mostly because of the labor involved.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ouch, doesn't sound good at all. Rebuild price would really be determined by how much damage there is. It's definitely going to run you several thousand dollars for the rebuild. I would go ahead and upgrade the internals while you're in there. No sense in putting stock parts back in. Pulling the motor and opening it up is quite a bit of work. Let us know if we can help in any way.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, im gonna request a tow monday for my evo. Lucky im in a good place right now with a spare car to drive, and coming up with money will suck but wont be life changing.

1.) I will be sticking to the 2.0 compression. If I am rebuilding, I asume ill need all new rods, valves, and pistons right? With just those parts added and a retune can I expect a decent ammount more power from the evo? Will she be more reliable assuming I make sure going forward she always has oil....

2.) Are there sleaves in the stock evo's block? aka could I have only damaged the sleave, and not the actual walls?

3.) If i take it to the dealer, are they gonna have to open the engine up to diagnose the problem and are they going to charge me for that?

4.) just debating if I want a third party shop to do the work, but I know I can get it towed to the dealer for free atleast for a diagnosis.

5.) It should be closer to $3000 then $6000 for a rebuild I hope?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
answer is rod knock. Took it to a local shop, started the car, and he identified it on the spot.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
there's a for sale thread that just went up that included a stock short block with 25k miles on it... just sayin.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do i need a short block? Like i know I am gonna have to pay $$$ for repairs regardless, but if I bought a nice set of pistons and rods would that work out and would I net some extra power from that via a retune? I have a green, so its not like I could make big power without a turbo swap to a bigger one.

are there any other parts I should get replaced while I am at it and the engine is open?

He only said its rod knock off sound, hes going to open her up, and tell me whats really wrong once he has a chance to see it.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
with rod knock, you could be looking at a minimum of rod bearings and crank machining with nothing else needed to a full blown rebuild with new pistons and all. your mechanic will probably pull the oil pan and some bearing caps to inspect that damage and then the head to see if there's any damage to the cylinder walls (which I doubt). It just depends on whether you're looking to just fix it or build it up stronger than before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts