Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've searched and didint find anything other than a guy saying it was his timing chain. i had it checked out at the dealer and they said it was an over rev code and that they could take it off for $125 but that it would clear my tune and put me back to stock settings. i've had this light on for almost a year it goes away sometimes but usually is on every day all day just wondering if the dealer was telling the truth or if anyone knows how to take this light off .

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
could be a number of things....it sounds like you don't have an accessport...how much would Advance Auto Parts charge to clear it...?

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
Can you get the code number? Without it nothing can be done.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm i'll check the receipt the dealer gave me to see if they put it on their. they just said it was an over rev code .

·
Registered
898 Posts
Harbor Freight has a pretty decent OBDII reader, the one I bought last fall was even updated with latest codes through 2011. It doesn't just read, it will clear and do real-time logging plus recording. Get yourself one -- I used (over-used) the reader at my local OReilly to the point they stopped asking me for a credit card or license to hold while I went outside and used their tool. I've never heard of an over-rev code, and at the track I frequently had the rev-limiter step in and keep me from abusing the engine while in 3rd and 4th gears.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Harbor Freight has a pretty decent OBDII reader, the one I bought last fall was even updated with latest codes through 2011. It doesn't just read, it will clear and do real-time logging plus recording. Get yourself one -- I used (over-used) the reader at my local OReilly to the point they stopped asking me for a credit card or license to hold while I went outside and used their tool. I've never heard of an over-rev code, and at the track I frequently had the rev-limiter step in and keep me from abusing the engine while in 3rd and 4th gears.
Since it's not a check engine light nut a engine service light I don't think it can be read by the OBD2. They guy told me he had to go into the computers and clear it back to stock settings . I was kinda shocked when he told me cuz I've only over revved twice since I had the car but when they light came on it had been over a year since I had over revved it

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
when you mean over rev'd do you mean you bounced it off the rev limiter?

So you have been driving round for a year with the SES light on? Am I correct? or have I misunderstood?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when you mean over rev'd do you mean you bounced it off the rev limiter?

So you have been driving round for a year with the SES light on? Am I correct? or have I misunderstood?
Was never really bounce off rev limiter but got close. And yes I have the red light is annoying now cuz it covers the whole screen .

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
SST by any chance? or 5 sp?

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
I looked it up, all I could find was Map barometric pressure low. Don't know if that's right...

·
Registered
898 Posts
thanks for checking it im gonna try to look into it more
FWIW, I do not trust the dealer's conclusion on codes. I had them pull my first and they told me they flashed my ECU to fix a "throttle position calibration" error code and listed a P num with it. Upon my own lookup, it was a MAF overboost code that they reset. Resetting codes via an ECU reflash will work, but it's a bit too extreme for my taste as the first recourse. Take it to the local parts place that will let you use their OBDII and do it yourself. It is NOT rocket science, it's about as easy as plugging in a memory FOB into a PC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts