Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was going a decent speed, about 100mph for not very long, span of minute or less. after that i drove very soft going home, about 3 minutes or so. my question is, is this 3 or 4 mins enough time for my engine to cool down before i shut down my car?

i only ask because when i restarted my car, approx 45mins after shutting it down, my coolant temp(i think thats what the display temp is) was at 89*, and i had never seen it that high.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
so i was going a decent speed, about 100mph for not very long, span of minute or less. after that i drove very soft going home, about 3 minutes or so. my question is, is this 3 or 4 mins enough time for my engine to cool down before i shut down my car?

i only ask because when i restarted my car, approx 45mins after shutting it down, my coolant temp(i think thats what the display temp is) was at 89*, and i had never seen it that high.
Your coolant temp should be around 170-190 the 89 may have been IAT's from being parked and yes 3 to 4 minutes is good for that little bit of spirited driving.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your coolant temp should be around 170-190 the 89 may have been IAT's from being parked and yes 3 to 4 minutes is good for that little bit of spirited driving.
thanks you. if i was driving really aggressive for a longer period of time, how long would you suggest i baby it before i shut it down?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Personally, I drive easy for the last 3-5 minutes before parking, then I let it idle for another 1 minute or so before shutting it down. Better safe than sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts