Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my EVC 5 (EVC 6 in US) & Defi Boost Gauge installed. I was planning on doing it myself but the shop (not Monster Motor Sports) installed them both for just $100 USD since this was their first Evo X install (grand total was $900 USD parts & labor).

First of all stock boost was about 1.2 kg/cm2 average, at times it would shoot up to about 1.6 kg/cm2 (driving up hill in 4th gear, 5000 rpm) and it would drop to about 0.8 kg/cm2 at high rpms. After installing the EVC, the initial boost only went up to about 0.9 kg/cm2. I configured the EVC's Mode A to 1.2 kg/cm2 and Mode B to 1.4 kg/cm2.

When I first test drove it the boost shot to about 1.3k in Mode A and about 1.6kg in Mode B. I reconfigured it and now it is stable at 1.2 & 1.4k. So far I haven't seen the boost drop below 1.1k in either modes so the higher RPMs feel alot better than before :thumbup:

Monster Sports needs to hurry up, I can't wait to get my ECU reflash, exhaust, and intake system next!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
:) when are you planning the re-flash and exhaust?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:) when are you planning the re-flash and exhaust?
Reflash will be sometime in April when Monster Motor Sports finishes it. The exhaust will come as soon as a company starts selling a nice exhaust system. Currently HKS is the only company that is selling one but it is ONLY the muffler. I want one with at least the center piping.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just got my EVC 5 (EVC 6 in US) & Defi Boost Gauge installed. I was planning on doing it myself but the shop (not Monster Motor Sports) installed them both for just $100 USD since this was their first Evo X install (grand total was $900 USD parts & labor).

First of all stock boost was about 1.2 kg/cm2 average, at times it would shoot up to about 1.6 kg/cm2 (driving up hill in 4th gear, 5000 rpm) and it would drop to about 0.8 kg/cm2 at high rpms. After installing the EVC, the initial boost only went up to about 0.9 kg/cm2. I configured the EVC's Mode A to 1.2 kg/cm2 and Mode B to 1.4 kg/cm2.

When I first test drove it the boost shot to about 1.3k in Mode A and about 1.6kg in Mode B. I reconfigured it and now it is stable at 1.2 & 1.4k. So far I haven't seen the boost drop below 1.1k in either modes so the higher RPMs feel alot better than before :thumbup:

Monster Sports needs to hurry up, I can't wait to get my ECU reflash, exhaust, and intake system next!
Wow...1.6 kg/cm2 while running towards a rail seems like fun times...jk..great job.

Interesting that the boost still falls off, this goes along with everyone opinion that the turbo is slighly small, thus running out of breath at the end of the rpm band.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow...1.6 kg/cm2 while running towards a rail seems like fun times...jk..great job.

Interesting that the boost still falls off, this goes along with everyone opinion that the turbo is slighly small, thus running out of breath at the end of the rpm band.
hmmm... can the housing suppost a larger turbine?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice! Can you post your EVC settings here for us?
Data as requested:
Pressure Unit of Measure: kPa
Standard Maximum Boost Setting: 90kPa (this is all it went up to with the EVC installed)
Target Boost: 120kPa
Correction Coefficient: 100%
Mode A: 130kPa (as of today after reading the AGP thread)
Mode B: 150kPa "
Offset A: 98%
Offset B: 95%
Warning Boost: 165kPa
Drop Boost: 20kPa
Map Function: 6 throttle and speed (wanted RPM instead of speed but the shop said they could only get readings that represent a 2 cylinder engine and the EVC doesn't support it:()
Speed Axis Grid: 4
RPM Axis: Not set
Throttle Axis: 4
Boost Map Correction: None
Offset Map: Not set yet (maybe this can help a little with the boost drop?)
Speed Pulse: 4
Throttle-Off Voltage: .65v
Full Throttle Voltage: 4.43v
Sampling Rate: 4 default (maybe this can help a little with the boost drop?)

I'm still playing with the settings, I'll post my settings as I test them out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Is the evc just an electronic boost controller? Does is have any other functions? Is it like a piggy back? I have a lot of experience with reflash software and a bit with piggy backs (don't like 'em), but I've never worked with the evc or done any research about it. Also, in my experience, at least with the subarus, once the car is reflashed there has never seemed to be any need for a manual boost controller or an electronic one for that matter, because the wastegate duty cycle mapping takes care of the boost increase and taper characteristics. Also, it's always been my experience that boost controllers, manual bleed-pill type or electronic, are not safe for anything beyond small boost increases as it can lean the fuel mixture out quite a bit and the timing can become too aggressive. I mean, when making adjustments to the ecu, when the boost is increased, the timing usually has to be adjusted, usually retarded, to give the right balance and prevent knock. This is correct, is it not? Also, if the boost is increased manually with a bleed pill type, like a hallman, the ecu won't know that the car is running more boost, so would this affect the compensation tables for pulling timing if the weather is hot, fuel is bad, etc.?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The EVC is basically an electronic valve (wastegate) controller. It can control the amount of pressure that is sent to the wastegate. It can actually open the wastegate quicker than stock (drop boost) or bleed off for higher boost.
In the case of the EvoX, the stock boost ranges from 90kPa to about 150kPa (on spike) on the JDM. The standard or average boost is suppose to be about 120kPa. Lets say you want to raise your boost to about 165kPa. If you were to do this with a standard bleeder type controller you will more than likely spike beyone 170kPa which is the fuel cut pressure on the JDM. If you have an EVC you can raise the boost to 165kPa without it spiking, thus preventing the fuel cut.
The EVC is also suppose to prevent boost drops and stabilize boost (not completely successful for me). You can also set boost according to RPM, Speed, and throttle position.
There is also a feature that I don't really use called SBC (scramble boost controller). This is a feature to raise the boost for a certain period of time, such as raising it 20kPa for 15 seconds by hitting the SBC button.

When installing an EVC, you do not bypass any factory pressure sensors or knock sensors so your ECU will still know the boost and adjust the timing or fuel accordingly (although not the best MAP). You are only bleeding the pressure going to the actual wastegate with the EVC, not the pressure sensor.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, just in case you want to know how the hell it can actually lower the boost, this is how it works.

On vehicles such as the Evo X, there is a factory solenoid between the wastegate actuator & turbine compressor. The ECU regulates the amount of pressure sent to the actuator by using this solenoid and controls the boost. When you reflash your ECU this solenoid only opens at the specified boost of your reflash. Now if you bypass this this solenoid the boost will actually drop, on the Evo X it will drop to about 90kPa.

Now if you install the EVC, you bypass the factory solenoid and replace it with the EVC solenoid. The EVC solenoid can open or close in finer increments and move quicker than the stock solenoid by using it's "stepping motor". If you like, you can set the EVC to open up allowing the pressure to flow to the actuator without any regulation. So in the case of the Evo X, you can open the actuator at 90kPa, which is lower than the stock boost. Hope that clears up your questions about the EVC. ;)

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
Drop Boost: 20kPa
Does this mean that once the warning boost level is reached, it will drop 20kpa?

Map Function: 6 throttle and speed (wanted RPM instead of speed but the shop said they could only get readings that represent a 2 cylinder engine and the EVC doesn't support it:()
So your RPMs will be cut in half then...if that's the case, tell the device that it's a v8, and you'll fix the issue.

Thanks for the info, SiC!

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
Oh, just in case you want to know how the hell it can actually lower the boost, this is how it works.

On vehicles such as the Evo X, there is a factory solenoid between the wastegate actuator & turbine compressor. The ECU regulates the amount of pressure sent to the actuator by using this solenoid and controls the boost. When you reflash your ECU this solenoid only opens at the specified boost of your reflash. Now if you bypass this this solenoid the boost will actually drop, on the Evo X it will drop to about 90kPa.

Now if you install the EVC, you bypass the factory solenoid and replace it with the EVC solenoid. The EVC solenoid can open or close in finer increments and move quicker than the stock solenoid by using it's "stepping motor". If you like, you can set the EVC to open up allowing the pressure to flow to the actuator without any regulation. So in the case of the Evo X, you can open the actuator at 90kPa, which is lower than the stock boost. Hope that clears up your questions about the EVC. ;)

So in other words, the wastegate itself is a 90kpa (13psi) wastegate?

·
Registered
3 Posts
SiC, nice set up, I am kind understand what you are saying, but can you explain more in detail by useing the following EVO X dual boost solenoid pictures(as you can see the EVO X has two boost solenoid), how you install the EVC 5 ?? thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.