Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think its because Mitsubishi is always improving their designs, the 06 EVO was definitely a good change, though short lived.
Alot of models are short lived to keep the buyers interest, to appeal to a new market, to improve upon an outdated or unpopular design, etc.

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
Does it bother anyone that every EVO's life cycle is only about 2 yrs?
Well, it's good and bad.

It's bad because we'll "quickly" have the "old" version of the evo, but generally speaking, they don't make huge changes from one model version to the next. From the evo VII, VIII, and IX, the car didn't change very much, and it essentially performed the same.

So even when the evo XII comes out, I doubt it will really be that much better than the X.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it's good and bad.

It's bad because we'll "quickly" have the "old" version of the evo, but generally speaking, they don't make huge changes from one model version to the next. From the evo VII, VIII, and IX, the car didn't change very much, and it essentially performed the same.

So even when the evo XII comes out, I doubt it will really be that much better than the X.
Exactly.

There are lots of people unwilling to buy any first year production. I've done that and will never do it again.
You wait for a year or two for car company to work out the quality issues. While you were waiting, the newer Evo comes out...

Anyway, 10 generations in 15 years seems a lot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i wouldnt necessarily call each version of the evo a "genereation"...i think the 1st gen is evo 1-3, 2nd gen is 4-6, 3rd gen is 7-9, and the X is the forth generation

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Instead of jumping into an Evo X at this time I think I will get an interim car and wait for this model to be shaken down and for Canadian prices to come into line with the US. Harmonized regulations will hopefully make our market more competitive. Until then I think a 2007 MS6 will be a possible interim car for me (the second year for this model that significantly improved on first year problems noted on the 2006).

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
The MS6 is a good car, however, I think what you're doing is unwise. Why buy a brand new car that you're going to take a big loss on next year when you trade it towards an X?

If you're going to go the "interim car" route, get a half decent used car that won't cost much or lose much value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Instead of jumping into an Evo X at this time I think I will get an interim car and wait for this model to be shaken down and for Canadian prices to come into line with the US. Harmonized regulations will hopefully make our market more competitive. Until then I think a 2007 MS6 will be a possible interim car for me (the second year for this model that significantly improved on first year problems noted on the 2006).
That's the thing, I don't thing our price will ever be competitive with the US pricing.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The MS6 is a good car, however, I think what you're doing is unwise. Why buy a brand new car that you're going to take a big loss on next year when you trade it towards an X?

If you're going to go the "interim car" route, get a half decent used car that won't cost much or lose much value.
Well, I think you are right, but I would have done it anyway. The depreciation on any car is high, and in BC with taxes at 12% we lose 12% right off the bat! In the end my wife pushed my decision away from a sedan and into a wagon. I will not be trading it in on an X anytime soon and there is plenty of potential for modding my sleeper wagon (but the hood scoop does give it away a little).

·
Registered
461 Posts
Here's one fact about the Evo's in Japan. The previous Evo's (1-9) were limited quantity models. The Evo X is the first unlimited model, known as the "catalog model" in Japan. According to the dealer, most "catalog models" have a life cycle of about 4-5 years. Of course the dealer didn't know for sure, but he thinks that the Evo X may be around for a few more years.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
yeah i agree with you^^^^^

since they fully redevelop the evo this time around they will probably stick with for a few years.it will maybe take some time before they make something better then what they have out now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.