Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well pins backed out again, was gonna have them send it to jacks. But since it was still in warranty they wanted to swap the differential to the evo 8/9 differential, they actually ordered it already. Good part about is i dont have to pay for anything but wondering how much headache it would give them when they start swapping it. I asked them if it's gonna cause any issues with the ecu, was told that it shouldn't because there's no actual electronics attached to it (only the transfer and rear diff are ecu controlled, something in that nature). So, anyone who have more knowledge in the topic pls. share. I guess what I really want to know is:
  1. is it even possible?
  2. if yes, will it mess up the ayc, or anything?
  3. any weaknesses on the 8/9 center diff? (i'm gonna search this now after i post this, since i'm already posting might as well add this question just incase i miss anything on my research)
Only bad part about this if it doesn't work is that i'm going to have to buy a new evo x diff + jacks loving tender care... and installation. (unless the shop takes care of the parts and installation, i dont mind paying for sending it for jacks work)
Before i get flamed, I am not a mechanic. I just say what I heared from THE mechanic =P. I guess if it actually work they prolly will profit from it by doing the service to other people. I missed my evo though.

·
[Local Team Member], aka pimplay2
7,791 Posts
subscribed, good question that i have never heard before. only thing i see being used from 9 is the CMC,

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
This has been asked before. But in short, unless you have like a billion dolllars to spare to make it work, the answer is no. It will not bolt up, it will not interact properly and it's just not the same setup as the older Evo's.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
^ what levi said. You can't do it. Rear diff, you can do. Center, nope. Just have jack's do their stuff and you'll be fine

·
[X Performance Mod], [Racing Mod], [Local Team Mem
11,761 Posts
So you're saying the dealership is putting a previous model CD in your X? I'm a little confused here. Who is providing the warranty?

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
So you're saying the dealership is putting a previous model CD in your X? I'm a little confused here. Who is providing the warranty?
The only way that'd be the case is if it were still an Evo X, as the 08-2011 is the same in terms of the center diff.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i find it really hard to believe that a mitsubishi dealership would ever put an 8/9 piece like center differential into an X. I cant get these fucks to change my oil if i have an intake...

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
i find it really hard to believe that a mitsubishi dealership would ever put an 8/9 piece like center differential into an X. I cant get these fucks to change my oil if i have an intake...
They WON'T, because it is IMPOSSIBLE.

Better?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
well with enough money, and a stupid enough person.....
where's mr rwd evo, he could probably do it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the incomplete info. It's not the dealer, it's ITP performance. They fixed it the first time but still broke now they will try this route... As for budget wise, zero out-of-pocket for me since it's a warranty work, only thing i lose is downtime of my car. Thanks for everyone that posted and will update as soon as info are available.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
On a technical level it's absurd to change a Evo X transfer case to a earlier version, as well as the AYC / rear diff. It's possible, sure, we have put men on the moon and it is possible.... It's like saying we are going to swap out the 4B11t for a more reliable 4G63 engine.

If you read the 2008 Mitsu technical paper you'll see that the ACD and AYC where considerably beefed up. Going backwards for more reliability??

I can do the swap for you for $150,000 (plus tax), no problem. Is it possible your shop is referring to year 08/09 transfer case, not an Evo 8/9? That is more than likely. Check to see if the fluid replacing and bleeding of the ACD clutch packs was done properly if that is the failure point.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Sorry for the incomplete info. It's not the dealer, it's ITP performance. They fixed it the first time but still broke now they will try this route... As for budget wise, zero out-of-pocket for me since it's a warranty work, only thing i lose is downtime of my car. Thanks for everyone that posted and will update as soon as info are available.
then they're morons. my budget comment mean unlimited budget. Just like I could make my evo run on a turbine jet engine with enough budget. You'd have to replace and custom make the ENTIRE awd system to switch your center diff to an 8/9 diff.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On a technical level it's absurd to change a Evo X transfer case to a earlier version, as well as the AYC / rear diff. It's possible, sure, we have put men on the moon and it is possible.... It's like saying we are going to swap out the 4B11t for a more reliable 4G63 engine.

If you read the 2008 Mitsu technical paper you'll see that the ACD and AYC where considerably beefed up. Going backwards for more reliability??

I can do the swap for you for $150,000 (plus tax), no problem. Is it possible your shop is referring to year 08/09 transfer case, not an Evo 8/9? That is more than likely. Check to see if the fluid replacing and bleeding of the ACD clutch packs was done properly if that is the failure point.
I can understand what your saying, but, rregarding those bolded sentences, perhaps the evo 8/9 center diff is weaker than the evo x diff but as long as it holds, does it really matter? Reliability wise, it's like having an iron block that keeps poping a hole vs an all aluminum that is "weaker" but holds for the power level your working with. (weaker evo 8/9 diff that prolly doesnt have much history of pins wanting to view the outdoors hehehe) I understand that there are fixes that seems to hold out and have notified them (provided links and info). I even mentioned that I will pay for the shipment and upgrade, ofcourse they will provide the differential, if my old one is toasted (warranty). In the end, as long as I get the car back before school starts, hopefully next month, i'll let them do what they want, as long as it doesn't involve replacing every single awd system hehe (love the handling, dont want to lose it).

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
ok.. you need to seriously grill the shop. Because they literally don't know what they are doing if they think they're going to put a 8/9 center diff on your car without spending 100 grand to re-engineer the entire awd system.

you need a new shop

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I can understand what your saying, but, rregarding those bolded sentences, perhaps the evo 8/9 center diff is weaker than the evo x diff but as long as it holds, does it really matter? Reliability wise, it's like having an iron block that keeps poping a hole vs an all aluminum that is "weaker" but holds for the power level your working with. (weaker evo 8/9 diff that prolly doesnt have much history of pins wanting to view the outdoors hehehe) I understand that there are fixes that seems to hold out and have notified them (provided links and info). I even mentioned that I will pay for the shipment and upgrade, ofcourse they will provide the differential, if my old one is toasted (warranty). In the end, as long as I get the car back before school starts, hopefully next month, i'll let them do what they want, as long as it doesn't involve replacing every single awd system hehe (love the handling, dont want to lose it).
If you are ignorant enough to believe that somehow they are magically going to fit an 8/9 diff into an Evo X, you deserve whatever comes of it. Five minutes of reading the INTERNET would prove that it is not possible unless you re-engineer the car. Any further talk about "they're gonna do it/ can it be done?" is a complete waste of time and I am starting to think you're either Paulekas or a complete troll.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
why do u have to be an ass for this fellow member?

If you are ignorant enough to believe that somehow they are magically going to fit an 8/9 diff into an Evo X, you deserve whatever comes of it. Five minutes of reading the INTERNET would prove that it is not possible unless you re-engineer the car. Any further talk about "they're gonna do it/ can it be done?" is a complete waste of time and I am starting to think you're either Paulekas or a complete troll.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts