Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, brand new to this forum and I'm more or less getting an Evo X by either years end or January. The question I have though which has probably been asked on this forum before is, which is better the MR or the GSR. The reason is that I love the convenience of the MR with its 6 speed semi auto gearbox. The GSR of course is a manual, but it's a 5 speed. Is the MR still easy to upgrade/tune or should I stick to the GSR for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depends on what you want. I test drove an MR and it was great. But i preferred the "drivers" car. The 5 speed manual will feel like you have more control of the car. Trust me, once you get that exhaust on you want to hear your own shifts not the automatic/paddle ones. For the sake of having a 6th gear, it isnt all that benefical other than lower rpm highway driving. Infact you get 22mpg highway on the MR as compared to the GSR that gets 23. Another thing id consider is if you drive in a traffic dense area. The more traffic in manual=more use of clutch, which may cause extra wear. For me I went the a 2014 GSR mainly because of the 5 speed manual. The wing and wheels look great too but those are things you can easily change if you got an MR.at the end of the day, an evo is an evo. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
78 Posts
One isn't better than the other per se. It all comes down to your goals and what you want. When you bring up upgrade potential, the general safety zone for the MR is 300/300 because of the stock clutch packs. I personally have the MR. Sometimes I wish I got the GSR so I could feel more comfortable upping the HP and TQ, but when I bought it I was still in high school and not thinking of dropping serious money into the engine. So if you're planning on doing some serious upgrades, its something to consider. But the big plus side to the MR is that it can be automatic when a situation call for an auto. The mix of practicality from the automatic and shifting time of the twin clutch is nice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm on team GSR.. But I like having a clutch and a manual gear box. Gives my limbs more to do while driving, feels more 'in control' of the car. I haven't driven an MR, but I do know they can be just as involved for driving experience - so like everyone else has said it depends on what you want more. I drive in stop-and-go traffic occasionally, and its a tad annoying, but nothing that will make you really wish you didn't have a stick shift. (unless you only spend time in stop and go traffic..)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased MR because there are times where I and my wife have to switch the cars. Teaching my wife how to drive manual car wasn't an option. lol

·
Administrator
24,209 Posts
If you think you might do anything beyond some basic bolt ons and a tune, go with a GSR, your life will be much easier.

If you want to keep it basic, the MR is a good option. It's nice when you don't need to manage a 3rd pedal on the track.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I am with GSR camp. I like to modify my car and love the simplicity/realiability of a manual transmission.

I drive in traffic all the time and it's not annoying in any way in my opinion. I have driven an MR, and I found it more boring than GSR.

·
Registered
575 Posts
This is my 2nd GSR. I bought a 2008 when it first came out. This time I wanted to test drive the MR just make sure I wanted another GSR. After test driving it I was sold, it was great other than the hesitation upon acceleration then I test drove the GSR again and I went with the GSR. Its so much more fun to drive IMO.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I only drive this car in the city. and after 4 years of it and a twin disk clutch the stick has gotten the best of me. i would have prefered a MR with bolt ons. But i still love my gsr

·
Registered
10 Posts
people crying about driving a manual. the clutch is light, and easy to drive (test drive both). But i'm coming from an s13 sr20det with a heavy-duty pressure plate for 8yrs so anything stock feels light. I never drove an MR, but i've seen some tuned with the launch control and they fly off the line. I'm a clutch and shifter guy. i can imagine you feel more connected in a GSR than an MR. This is definitely a drivers car. I wish the gsr had a 6th because at 80mph i'm around 3800rpm and would improve the highway gas mileage. I have the ams stx300 flash and tomei titanium cat-back. engine completely stock. not the fastest car on the road but it's fast enough.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had a GSR, now we have a MR. I am a hardcore 3 pedal guy, we got the MR because it is my wife's DD. Its 90% as fun as my old GSR with no traffic, but in Houston traffic, the MR was the right choice.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hi, brand new to this forum and I'm more or less getting an Evo X by either years end or January. The question I have though which has probably been asked on this forum before is, which is better the MR or the GSR. The reason is that I love the convenience of the MR with its 6 speed semi auto gearbox. The GSR of course is a manual, but it's a 5 speed. Is the MR still easy to upgrade/tune or should I stick to the GSR for that.
Both great platforms, the MR's convenience is also it's limitation. If you plan on going high power than GSR hands down, but if you want something moderate and want the convenience then the MR will do just fine.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I love my MR. Wouldn't trade it for a GSR any day of the week. The convience of the auto is so nice. If your building a GSR odds are your going to put a heavy clutch in it and ruin its daily driven/street manors. MR trans will be fine with anything the stock block can handle. I am not sure why people complain about having to upgrade the clutches. You have to do that in a GSR with just bolt ons. Mine has been making over 400WHP for about a year now with regular abuse and launches like this....

https://youtu.be/BjvXDNURyxk

- Robert

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I've owned an FBO GSR and now currently have an MR with some mods. I actually do prefer the GSR. You feel more engaged. And hearing the sound of your own shifts (as another member mentioned) is far better. Especially because you get more pops an bangs, when you add an exhaust. I had the ETS Extreme. So there was lots of that in my GSR. Also the GSR looks better out of the box, with its wing, black vents and grill etc, and I like the wheels better. And it's cheaper!

HOWEVER, I recently picked up an MR because where I live now is basically on a road course. The car was a one owner, extremely clean, low miles, and had all the mods I wanted already. So I decided to switch it up and try it out. My drive is very twisty and very smooth and I just missed having an awd sports car to drive around and have fun with. My car has a wing, is lowered, wheels etc. So it looks like a GSR, minus a couple chrome pieces that I'm going to blackout. The MR does have the two piece rotors up front, the Bilsteins shocks, and I love the Recaro seats with the alcantara inserts. I believe the MR is a little nicer on the inside compared to the base model GSR. This, iirc, would depend on the years you are comparing though.

My biggest let down with the MR is that the shifts are not as quick as I had hope they would be. I've always heard good things about the SST but since I own an FBO E85 GTR, it shifts about the same speed as my GTR when it's in normal mode. When I put the GTR in RACE mode, the shifts are so fast, so engaging, and there's just no comparison. So when you have such a powerful car, and the shifts happen in a blink of an eye, it's very engaging. And I think that's where the MR disappoints a little bit.

But it's still an Evo! I still haul ass and take names! I also take 35mph corners at 60. So they're both a lot of fun. I do miss the 5 speed manual, although I do not miss being on the freeway for long distances with it. The MR with its 6th gear seems wayyy better for that. My biggest thing when I first got an Evo X was, the GSR is cheaper and looks better. That's what sold me. So unless you're set on an MR, because you have traffic, or prefer auto cars, or whatever, then get the GSR. But the MR, to me, isn't really a true twin clutch, paddle shift car. It's more of a middle man between and auto and a real TC car, like a GTR, M3, Porsche, etc

·
Registered
13 Posts
I owned a MR and have a GSR.

The MR essentially drives like a regular automatic. And an automatic with a 4 cylinder turbo just doesn't have the grunt down low to get it off the line quickly.

Yes the MR will be a lot easier to live with especially in traffic. And it's got a 6th gear which lowers the rpms at cruising speed.

But the trans is an expensive power limiting option which can be a problem if you track the car.

The GSR's biggest problem is its gear ratios. They are just way too short. Cruising down the freeway at 4k rpms gets old fast. I'm going to be changing my R&P out soon because of this. But other than that.... I really enjoy the GSR far more than I ever did my MR.

TonyG

1 - 20 of 47 Posts