Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating which Evo i should get the MR or GSR, I've made a list of advantages and disadvantages the GSR has compared to the MR, what do you guys think?

evo GSR

Pros: Manual transmission is funner, ability to launch car at 5500 rpms, faster 0-60 times,

Cons: No 6th gear, slower lap times, slower shift times, lacking of MR suspension and front 2 piece rotors

What do you guys think? I'm only 19 so i'm leaning towards the GSR because I want to experience the fun of a manual transmission. However I heard the MR shifts faster than the GSR so it would be better acceleration times. But than i hear that the MR's launch control should not be used.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well from gambrose's review he said that the mitsu people told him the sst can only handle 3 launches before severe damage and that it logs the launches in the computer so mitsu knows if you were abusing the transmission or not

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
From a mod at another evo forum:

"BTW, I have some more technical info on MR:

There is data that shows the MR is slower from a launch but faster from a roll (over 45mph) than the GSR.

Repetitive launchs do not cause permanent damage, but rather force the tranny into a variable preservation mode. To make this happen, it requires repeated standing start launches back to back. According to sources, it takes several before the first affects kick in making the car slightly slower. If you continue to do back to back starts, the launch rev limiter will drop. Keep doing it, and it will stop you all together. It does this based on clutch surface temp, so once it has cooled, its fine again. This is also not typical drag race scenarios. This is launch stop launch stop......"

·
Registered
236 Posts
well i'm not going to be taking it to the drag strip, or anything, but i'll probably get an intake exhaust and a good tune.
This is going to be your main problem.From what we found out so far.

CharlesJ; said:
First, you CANNOT mod it without being able to tune both the ecu and transmission ecu. If you do, it will shut down. Tuning the main ecu is not that big a deal and will be available in probably not too long. The transmission computer not only seems to be harder to crack, but also a completely new thing to tune, and as such it will be a while before people get it right. Being that this is an expensive unit to replace and there is no repairing it, this is something to be very careful with tuning. If you have that computer tuned and blow your tranny, don't expect Mistu to warranty it.

The second problem is heat. Once you do tune the computers and add power, the clutches will produce more heat. The transmission senses surface heat on the clutches and makes adjustments to how the car reacts accordingly to preserve itself. By adding a lot more power, it will make heat quicker when pushing it hard. Without an aftermarket solution to deal with the added heat, more power wont always net you faster acceleration.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm debating which Evo i should get the MR or GSR, I've made a list of advantages and disadvantages the GSR has compared to the MR, what do you guys think?

evo GSR

Pros: Manual transmission is funner, ability to launch car at 5500 rpms, faster 0-60 times,

Cons: No 6th gear, slower lap times, slower shift times, lacking of MR suspension and front 2 piece rotors

What do you guys think? I'm only 19 so i'm leaning towards the GSR because I want to experience the fun of a manual transmission. However I heard the MR shifts faster than the GSR so it would be better acceleration times. But than i hear that the MR's launch control should not be used.
Don't forget to mention the MR has better interior and wheels as well. IMO the MR is worth the extra 4 or 5 grand. I'm locked into getting my Phantom black MR at 35k.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Don't forget to mention the MR has better interior and wheels as well. IMO the MR is worth the extra 4 or 5 grand. I'm locked into getting my Phantom black MR at 35k.
You & me both:rock: I'm looking forward to finally seeing the upgraded interior on the MR, I haven't had the chance to actually see the difference between that & the GSR.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.