Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the evo x mr was being driven and about 10 miles down the road the car suddenly lost fuel and the gas pedal did nothing. Pulled over and had the car towed home. The fuel pump is still working and there was no visible fuel spills underneath the car. Checked both relays and fuses and none of them are blown. Disconnected battery to rest ecu and still nothing. Car seems to me like it is not getting enough fuel? I have tried putting it in reverse then turning key and you can hear the pump working. Here is a video attached to what it is doing. Thanks for the help. And I have tried cranking it with the gas pedal down and nothing either.

Mods are uicp, ets intake, test pipe, exhaust, id1000cc, walbro 450 on 91.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this may sounds stupid but did you make sure you actually have fuel in the tank?
I know in the vid it shows 1/2 a tank, but I would pull the fuel pump assembly out to physically check the pump, fuel line, filter and make sure the fuel level is working properly.
Also I would check fuel pressure at the rail to make sure you’re getting adequate/ consistent fuel pressure. Just to make sure nothing is clogged or anything.
Hope this helps!👍

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yea make sure the motor is getting gas. Even though you "hear" the pump working, check and make sure your pressure is good. It could just be a bad pump.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yesterday the evo x mr was being driven and about 10 miles down the road the car suddenly lost fuel and the gas pedal did nothing. Pulled over and had the car towed home. The fuel pump is still working and there was no visible fuel spills underneath the car. Checked both relays and fuses and none of them are blown. Disconnected battery to rest ecu and still nothing. Car seems to me like it is not getting enough fuel? I have tried putting it in reverse then turning key and you can hear the pump working. Here is a video attached to what it is doing. Thanks for the help. And I have tried cranking it with the gas pedal down and nothing either.

Mods are uicp, ets intake, test pipe, exhaust, id1000cc, walbro 450 on 91.
Had the exact same symptoms some years back and it happened to be a clogged in line fuel filter. Replaced it with a stainless steel element (before it was from paper) and everything fine. If you don't have an external fuel filter at all, check the in tank one. It's definitely lack of fuel either way

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this may sounds stupid but did you make sure you actually have fuel in the tank?
I know in the vid it shows 1/2 a tank, but I would pull the fuel pump assembly out to physically check the pump, fuel line, filter and make sure the fuel level is working properly.
Also I would check fuel pressure at the rail to make sure you’re getting adequate/ consistent fuel pressure. Just to make sure nothing is clogged or anything.
Hope this helps!👍
I did check and

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I did check in tank and there still is fuel. Pulled the fuel rail and everything seemed to check out even checked and swapped injectors to make sure one of them was not clogged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had the exact same symptoms some years back and it happened to be a clogged in line fuel filter. Replaced it with a stainless steel element (before it was from paper) and everything fine. If you don't have an external fuel filter at all, check the in tank one. It's definitely lack of fuel either way
I installed a new fuel filter in tank and nothing changed. Have an extra walbro 255 that I will try to install next. The current walbro has been in less then 15k miles. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the fuel pump and as you can see the line just completely was torn apart and felt like a piece of rubber. Replaced it with new fuel injector line and the car started right up on the first try. She went completely lean immediately and began wanting to die. Will replace the injectors back tomorrow and see what it does.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts