Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I will be purchasing an Evo X next month and wanted to know the reliability in the model and Mitsubishi in general.
I'm coming from owning Hondas all my life and currently own a 2011 Civic Si so this a pretty big move for me and I'm hoping they're decently reliable. I'm over how slow my Civic is and no point in dumping money into it as the limit on power is not very high.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you service them regularly if its stock and if its modded with mild mods and a good tune they are very reliable.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Head for the hills man and don't look back. Go back to honda land where the car will last you until eternity lol. In all seriousness though, find a good local tuner for the evo x. If you cant find one then get a different car lol. not jokin. Best advice ever given to man right there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Head for the hills man and don't look back. Go back to honda land where the car will last you until eternity lol. In all seriousness though, find a good local tuner for the evo x. If you cant find one then get a different car lol. not jokin. Best advice ever given to man right there.
I agree. Mine has sat there broken more often than not. Its sitting there right now with a cracked manifold and a blown turbo. Oh and dont get me started on the AYC pump.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am surprised by all the negative answers. Certainly a modified EVO won't be as reliable as an unmodified honda civic. However, my car is over 500hp at the wheels. I take it to the track 4 or 5 times a year. Other than replacing the fluids every year it has never broken. Knock wood.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a "stock" 2013 X that I purchased new and haven't had any major issues with it other than having the ACD pump replaced at 97k miles under warranty. I put "stock" in quotes because the only mod I've done is add a K&N air filter. Other than that bone stock. They're reliable as hell and I've changed the oil and filter roughly every 10k miles and haven't had any knocks on wood issues to this point. Good luck

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am surprised by all the negative answers. Certainly a modified EVO won't be as reliable as an unmodified honda civic. However, my car is over 500hp at the wheels. I take it to the track 4 or 5 times a year. Other than replacing the fluids every year it has never broken. Knock wood.
Yea, ran at that power level for years over 40K miles with no issues. However, when you start hunting into the big hp leagues (700+whp) and get into motor builds with high end turbo kits and high end fuel systems, then reliability tends to take a shit. Car starts sitting more than running. Sure you will have a small number of cars run for a time with no issues. Some of those cars are weekend only cars that don't see much mileage. Honestly, I feel like mid 500's is the sweet spot for reliability and power. Not being negative, just keeping it real. Ever wonder why you see so many people build there motor and sell the car shortly after?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm hoping they're decently reliable. I'm over how slow my Civic is and no point in dumping money into it as the limit on power is not very high.
Just keep it mild and you'll be fine. Your biggest obstacle will be finding a really good tuner. That will dictate your cars future. If you live in a state that has a super high rep tuner that has been well known in the community that tuned a high number of evo x over a long duration of time (minimum of 8 years) with a low failure rate then you're golden. If you're gonna do some mild mods such as basic bolt ons and tune then you can venture into the E-Tune option if you don't have access to mentioned tuner. Stop there, do some suspension mods (coilovers) and exterior mods to enhance the cars visual appeal and viola. Enjoy a clean fairly quick and well handling machine. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Luck is with you then. So far I have owned mine 2 years and have replaced the water pump twice, the second was due to a failed gasket, the clutch, alternator, battery, the ayc pump has failed 2x, and now I have a no boost problem which I believe is the turbo. Mines an 08 GSR with 140k on the clock and about 400whp. When it's good, it's good, and when it breaks its expensive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have more money in the car on mods than I paid for it 6 years ago. 2 of those years it sat on jack stands lol. I had to buy another car while I rebuilt my evo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
08 with 42k miles

i got to a point and stopped modding it, havent had any issues worth mentioning since. few small things, torn vaccuum cap, etc... all easy fixes that i can do myself

·
Registered
2017 Audi RS3 Stage 2 Unitronic Tune 93 Octane
1,941 Posts
I know there is plenty in the search function, but I had my Evo X FBO, 214C cams on pump gas for 7-8 years 103k miles I believe when I sold it. If you know how to drive it, service it will last forever. Don’t big the motor.
And I used to race shit out of my Evo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Trust me man, this car is very reliable with a great tune. You just have to know how to drive it. Just dont launch it and redline when its not a full operating temps. Stay on top of oil changes every 3k miles. Listen to your car for any odd noises and address them. So many people own these nice cars and dont know how to treat them. Getting crappy tunes, not monitoring AFR's, shifting really bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll give you my thoughts.
  • Evo's AWD system is the in the league. This equates to phenomenal grip, and at times it is so compliant that you feel the car isn't fun (especially, if you come from RWD/FWD platforms).
  • Many people start chasing power to make the car more fun (plus, its a turbo car with strong motor reputation so why not).
  • More power requires lots of dialing in + thought out plans + extra maintenance = $$ and unfortunately, many Evo/STI owners skip all these steps which leads to problems.

My solution to this is very few bolt-ons + professional tune from the best. Evo will be just as reliable as Civic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts