Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got the chance to do a little over 120 miles of track today, in both the wet and dry. All I have to say is wow. This car, hands down, smokes the US VIII and IX's around our 12 turn track.

It takes a bit to get used too though. The car feels a bit out of control at first, and your tendency is to try and do correction steering, like you would with a RWD car, but the reality is this only makes things worse. If you do make any adjustments, when the ECU swings your back end out and starts vectoring around a turn, the result is you end up losing the line that would have been held, perfectly, if you had made no adjustments. Once you get over this though, you are in for a very special treat.

Every turn in this car brings a huge smile to your face. And just when you think you have found the limit, you test it by turning in a little steeper to find that the vehicle has even more to offer. I truly believe this cars capabilities, in stock form, is greater then 95% of the people that will ever drive it.

The other thing you find with this car is that there is no under steer. This was especially noticeable in the chicane, where in my VIII, I would feather the throttle to maintain a line, and unwind the steering and drift wide, as the car refused to turn in. With the X, you simply point in the direction you want to go, and the car goes, exactly on the line you point, good or bad. This took me the longest to get used too, as it is by far, the most radical change over the previous models. I can only imagine what it must be like to drive the lighter, and potentially more agile, JDM versions of the VIII and IX that came with the ACD/SAYC setup. I am now truly jealous.

The brakes held insanely strong on the X as well. I have the optional brake cooling guides on the car, and I found that I didnt have any brake fade on the car throughout the entire day. This was truly amazing to me, because on the much lighter VIII, brake fade was very common around the 15 minute mark of a track event. I even had a couple cases of boiled brake fluid, on those hot summer days, which made my track sessions end early
I can see that this problem has been resolved on the X, and now maybe I wont have to put new brake fluid in after every event

Overall this is a much improved machine over the previous US Evo models. Everyone on the track couldnt help but notice the cars unique way of gliding through the turns, and everyone that rode in it was simply blown away. The X is definitely living up to its high standards of supreme handling in stock form.

On a closing note, I did not find any issues with the handling in the wet. The car performed beyond my expectations, and I had little to no traction issues. I found that the car outperformed my previous car, in every way accept acceleration, in both the wet and dry. I also found that I had to disable the AWC system in order to get better times. However, I didnt do the "hold the button for 3 seconds" disable, I just simply hit the button to disable it. In this mode, the PCM no longer did a fuel cut when it detected traction loss, which was a huge issue for me at first. The AWC on mode is too defensive in my opinion, and robs the car of its most enjoyable aspects around the track. Also, +1 to the new tires, they handle phenomenally!

I am compiling all the video, and will have links posted soon!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This one was $197, and that got you 4, 30 minute sessions. They range from a little over $100 to as high as $300, but it depends on the club, type of event, and number of drivers. The more drivers they allow, the cheaper the day, but its also a little more crowded.

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,500 Posts
Nice looking track . Where is that?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Portland International Raceway (www.portlandraceway.com). Its a great track, and I find myself very fortunate to have access to it.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Very cool. I like how when u get on the guys butt on a straight away he will move over and allow u to pass. Seems really fun and a great way to safely test the cars limits.
How do you get into this? I know you have to join a club that rents the track out for the day and such but I'm guessing theres more to it. I plan on getting my X in June and very much so want to get into taking it to the track every now and then. First thing I need is a local club that goes tracking. Do you need to take a course, get a helmet, special license, special seatbelts or equipment?
What do us new people need to be able to have as much fun as you just did?

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
*screams with glee*

Great write up! Glad you only had to push-off the S-AWC rather than hold it in to get the desired effects on the track.

The video was a fun watch! Props for repping the site. :)

I saw you were late apexing in the corners, and doing quite well. Was that an Audi S4 you were stuck behind for awhile?

@Malves - In the track subforum here, look for the thread on Thunderbolt raceway. It's a track opening in South Jersey this summer. Also, try to become a member of a track club...it will allow you to drive at their events. One that I've been to was mazdadrivers.com. All types of cars are welcome, btw, but expect to see a lot of miatas.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was an Audi day, so there were quite a few S4's there. Some of them were insanely quick, but they were running in the pro group, which had all the instructors.

Alot of the corners at PIR, are late apex turns. Its a pretty technical track, which is why I like it so much. The track is also really hard on the brakes though.

Malves, like Kooldino said, all you need to do is find out where a suitable track is located in your area, look at what clubs are renting it out, and join that club.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Great write up. Glad to hear that your experiences and thoughts were very close to my first trackday impression! bring on the mods!

·
Registered
51 Posts
that rattle does get annoying.

That track day looks like fun. I had the experience of riding in a few 400hp evo6's in england from the lancer register. That video reminded me of those evo's.

I am hoping to get down to mid-ohio with my x once the season is right.

keep it shiny side up!!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
PDX.. Just curious, did you hit your speed limiter on the track?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.