Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wrapped up installing the new clutch in my car and noticed that my car is now making this strange vibration noise in the driver side wheel well. It sounds rotational and gets louder as I accelerate. It sounds like I ran something over but I can't pinpoint the source. I replaced the struts, cv axle, and wheel bearing but it didn't fix the issue. The noise gets louder if I turn to the right or accelerate, but pretty much goes away if I turn left and shift the load. Could a motor mount be the issue? I did strip one of the bolts and had to use a helicoil to repair it. Perhaps it's not torqued down all the way? I'm really lost here and have been losing my mind for over two months now trying to figure this out.

Here's a video of the noise that I hear within the cabin:

https://youtu.be/vu4yWVjp7ZA

·
Registered
862 Posts
is it louder on acceleration only, or speed dependent (louder as you get faster)

Speed dependent would lean towards more wheel/axle/transfer case issue

RPM dependent would lean towards engine/trans, or a RPM dependent vibration/harmonic.

What clutch did you install?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Hm, what if you raise car in the air and accelerate to see what starts to vibrate. May be raise it by the control arms or on a lift so that suspension is still somewhat loaded.

Sounds like a bent axle or something along those lines.

If you rev it in neutral, do you have this vabration?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s definitely speed dependent since the noise doesn’t go away if I shift in to neutral or rev the engine. I got the original axle repaired by a reputable shop so I’m hoping it’s not the transfer case. I didn’t have any issues before this with my case. Could it be that’s something is loose that’s connected like the driveshaft? What’s weird is that it goes away when I turn left.

I got an ACT HDSS

is it louder on acceleration only, or speed dependent (louder as you get faster)

Speed dependent would lean towards more wheel/axle/transfer case issue

RPM dependent would lean towards engine/trans, or a RPM dependent vibration/harmonic.

What clutch did you install?
What fluids are you referring to? The transfer case fluid? I think I might have overfilled it a little but would that cause this noise?

I would check fluid level and then recheck the work that was done.

I tried raising the car on jack stands and accelerating but I got a warning light. That’s when I decided to stop doing that. There’s no vibration if I rev in neutral.

Hm, what if you raise car in the air and accelerate to see what starts to vibrate. May be raise it by the control arms or on a lift so that suspension is still somewhat loaded.

Sounds like a bent axle or something along those lines.

If you rev it in neutral, do you have this vabration?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Noise or vibration that goes away when turning usually leans towards an outer CV or wheel bearing. I would put the car up in the air like suggested, just make sure the suspension is loaded and level so you don't ruin an otherwise good axle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a noise like that twice before it was fender liner rubbing on the tire. Other time it was the brake line rubbing the tire. I would lift the car on four jack stands throw it in first get under it.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
If you say axle was repaired I would think imbalanced, or bent axle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we ended up lifting the car on jack stands and ran it while jacked up. We were unable to replicate the noise with both the wheel on and off the car. We turned it in the air and there was absolutely no noise. I don’t know if it was because it wasn’t under load but this would lead me to believe that it’s a suspension issue. Would the bad axle have made noise while in the air even with no load?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Suspension would certainly not cause cyclical sound that is speed dependent. I recommend doing what you did, but put jack stands under control arms to load the suspension.

If you left the wheels hanging, there is a chance that angle would not be the same.

Another point is may be check you wheels mating surface on that side. May be there is some debris and when lugnuts were torques, the wheels is crooked? What about lugnuts - are they tight?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ll try to give that a shot and report my findings. Would a bad output bearing or bent input shaft on the transmission cause that type of noise? The reason I stated I suspected it to be suspension related is that the noise completely goes away when I turn left. Similar to a bad wheel bearing when the load is shifted. I’m just hoping I didn’t break any transmission or t case components. The car shifts fine and I don’t feel any issues in the gears.

Suspension would certainly not cause cyclical sound that is speed dependent. I recommend doing what you did, but put jack stands under control arms to load the suspension.

If you left the wheels hanging, there is a chance that angle would not be the same.

Another point is may be check you wheels mating surface on that side. May be there is some debris and when lugnuts were torques, the wheels is crooked? What about lugnuts - are they tight?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
If sounds goes away when you turn, it's unlikely to be a transmission because it's fixed in place. Most likely a bearing or axle. How do you know bearing is ok?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do the earlier cotter pin style axles work on later models? I know a guy that’s selling his used set from a 2008 GSR but I’m not sure if they would work on my 2014.

If sounds goes away when you turn, it's unlikely to be a transmission because it's fixed in place. Most likely a bearing or axle. How do you know bearing is ok?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
No idea mate. I had no idea that axles were upgraded since 2008 on our cars. Is that what happened? I knew timing chain and relays were updated, but axles???

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
It will work. As long as he supplies the nut that takes a cotter pin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts