Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a "whiny" sound from about 2.5 RPM - 3.5 RPM. It sounds like a pin hole in a tube or a tube that is pinched. Sounds to me like a turbo type whine. Happens in all gears.

I've changed out the alternator, pulleys, and belts. Neither has resolved or gotten any better. I've searched and read about transfer case & turbo breaking, but nothing sounds like it.

I installed gauges and had an exhaust leak fix, after that I noticed it.

Any ideas guys? I tried posting a clip but it's not loud enough to hear on my phone. My last resort is taking it to the dealership but this sound is driving me insane.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Could be your BOV staying slightly cracked when its moving from atmospheric to boost pressure.

I know on some cars they actually had a recall for the side mirrors due to a spacer installed at the factory. It kept the trim out just enough that it caused a whistle noise at speed. Their remedy was to just "remove" that spacer.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Is it coming from an audio by any chance? Does it happen on throttle or off throttle? With boost, without boost? In gear, out of gear? When parked and just revving? Please provide more details.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it coming from an audio by any chance? Does it happen on throttle or off throttle? With boost, without boost? In gear, out of gear? When parked and just revving? Please provide more details.
I did change my BOV to a Tial QR and that didnt resolve the issue.

It's not coming from audio, it happens on throttle in and out of gear. It happens when parked and revving, noticeable at 3k RPM.

As far as boost goes, honestly I can't tell. I personally don't think so, but I could be wrong. With just slight throttle until about 2.5k I can start to hear it. Gets worse above 3k and I stop hearing it around 4k but that could be because the engine is just louder and it drones the sound out.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
So when you are parked and revving, boost is not present except a second or so when you just blip the throttle - I doubt it's a boost leak.

Is it a constant whistle or a whirling sound? There is a whirling sound coming from an oil pump in most cars - it's just a "feature". Is that something you hear? From the pasenger footwell?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So when you are parked and revving, boost is not present except a second or so when you just blip the throttle - I doubt it's a boost leak.

Is it a constant whistle or a whirling sound? There is a whirling sound coming from an oil pump in most cars - it's just a "feature". Is that something you hear? From the pasenger footwell?
Constant whistle. It's there when on throttle, goes away when off. Both sides of the car can hear the sound. Just for more info - my battery died awhile ago, when we jumped the car and after drove it the sound was even more apparent.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Perhaps check to be sure you don't have leaks in your piping. Like you said, it could be masked by engine noise.

Also, it could be something with the idler pulley. I would assume that would be more a squeak/grind, but the plastic one is known to cause issues for some over time due to wear.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Well, if it's on throttle and not audible when off throttle, that points more towards an air leak. May be try a boost leak test?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, if it's on throttle and not audible when off throttle, that points more towards an air leak. May be try a boost leak test?
Yeah, I'm going to do that. I'm starting to think it's a boost leak. The noise is more apparent when driving around those RPMs rather than sitting idle while giving it gas. I'll report back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a whine that I am diagnosing also so I share your pain. Comes on at 10psi and whines to peak boost at 27. Tried tightening all couplings and checking boost lines but no luck. Beginning to think its the stock BOV leaking by as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wasn't a boost leak. I've also determined that it happens when off throttle, even at higher RPMs it's just more apparent above 2.5k. If I get to 5k RPMs and completely let off, the noise is still there and goes away below 2k.

At this point I'm starting to get concerned because I have no idea what it is. I've been told it could be my wastegate, or something with the intake and putting my air box back on but I really don't think it has anything to do with boost at all based off the whine is there when letting off throttle, any more ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How are your fuel trims. I would check them at ldle and at around the RPM and load when you say it's loudest to see if they dramatically change

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Alternator whine? May be water pump or oil pump? Belt drive?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Alternator whine? May be water pump or oil pump? Belt drive?
If its RPM dependent only and not load based, this is a good possibility. There is an issue with some of the OEM idler pulleys as well, the stock plastic one is known to cause problems. I can't recall if I've expressed this before.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
If its RPM dependent only and not load based, this is a good possibility. There is an issue with some of the OEM idler pulleys as well, the stock plastic one is known to cause problems. I can't recall if I've expressed this before.
Yes, I remember about those as well. Though my car is 2012 and still has stock belt since day one at 110k miles. I check it regularly, also have a spare one, but it keeps going without issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you guys running the engine cover? That things masks a good bit of noise.

Mine makes a bit of whine when the engine bay gets heat soaked and no engine cover.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys, cannot believe I've been dealing with this for so long.

So the problem is coming from the rockford fosgate radio, specifically right at the area where the time is displayed. I remove the fuse and the sound has gone away. However I want my radio, so I purchased a new rockford fosgate radio display in hopes this would fix the problem, and I have the same result.

The only thing I recently added prior to this issue was gauges (VLS) in the car, but the issue didn't pop up right away. I spoke with the guy who installed them and stated the gauges have nothing to do with it.

Does anyone have ideas on what can cause this and how to fix it?

·
Registered
855 Posts

So the problem is coming from the rockford fosgate radio, specifically right at the area where the time is displayed. I remove the fuse and the sound has gone away. However I want my radio, so I purchased a new rockford fosgate radio display in hopes this would fix the problem, and I have the same result.

The only thing I recently added prior to this issue was gauges (VLS) in the car, but the issue didn't pop up right away. I spoke with the guy who installed them and stated the gauges have nothing to do with it.

That whine is likely "ground loop interference" Often caused by power wires running parallel to audio wires, or electronics that transmit audio. It sounds like you need a power conditioner, or perhaps a shielded power and ground wire to the radio.

Is it at all possible to check wiring and see if the issue persists with the stereo in another car? It could also be an issue with the factory amp, so don't rule that out either. You could test that out by disconnecting the amp and keying the car on/starting it. Or pulling the amp fuse, relay etc.

·
Registered
128 Posts

That whine is likely "ground loop interference" Often caused by power wires running parallel to audio wires, or electronics that transmit audio. It sounds like you need a power conditioner, or perhaps a shielded power and ground wire to the radio.

Is it at all possible to check wiring and see if the issue persists with the stereo in another car? It could also be an issue with the factory amp, so don't rule that out either. You could test that out by disconnecting the amp and keying the car on/starting it. Or pulling the amp fuse, relay etc.
Yup, my stereo did this straight from the dealer. I never cared to fix it, but I knew the sound as soon as I heard it due to doing a crappy job installing and grounding a stereo in my first car. haha
Any idea what the guy grounded to and tapped for power on the gauges? Most people wire into the fuse box in the front driver side, but he could have done something funny behind the stereo in the center.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts