Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today was Boston's first, real snow storm. I've been waiting all winter for a good one so I could take the Evo out and have some fun. Being from the South, this was also the first time I've ever driven in snow so I was kind of nervous. I wound up going to my office parking lot where there were no cars and no plows and I had an absolute blast! I drifted around for about 40 minutes and burned all kinds of fuel, but it was worth it. I took tons of pics and some videos, which I'll post once I find out the forum's guidelines on such things.

The main reason for this post was pure excitement, but I also have a question about the handling. Like I said, I've never driven in snow, so I have no point of reference as to how awesome AWD is in the snow or how the Evo compares to other cars in it. I'm running a set of Blizzak WS-60 in "Snow" mode and I was not as impressed as I was expecting. I had a couple close calls with turns and stops (finally experienced ABS) but nothing major. So, I'm wondering what the explanation is:

1. I just plain don't know how to drive in the snow yet - very probable
2. The roads were just very bad, because they were extremely slushy. I felt like it handled better in the powder off main streets.
3. The Blizzaks aren't in prime condition since I bought them used with about 5,000 miles and some camber burn. There's still plenty of tread, but there is uneven wear (pretty bad in some places) from the camber - I put those tires in the rear
4. I set my standards too high, and that's just how it is driving in snow.

What are your guys' thoughts? All in all though, amazing fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Im new too at driving in the snow i live up in chicago and i just got my gsr 2012 and i too wanna no..but to tell u the truth i dont think that snow was an issue it depends on how slushy.The parking lot i had fun was packed snow with little slush but still had awesome time till 2 squads come rolling up i got out of there lol

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
less grippier tires are better for drifts.
Keeping in Snow mode is important to keep AWD engaged even with the steering wheel turned.
Turning ASC to full off is necessary for a good drifting experience.

As far as grip is concerned, you can experience more stability driving on the freeway faster than others. But be careful, braking would be just as dangerous in the evo as in any other car.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Glad you had fun! I grew up elsewhere too so it takes some time but you get more use to it with practice. I would do the o Neil winter rally safety school if you want to accelerate your skills.

Post up videos o your fun when you get them!

·
Premium Member
6,689 Posts
Keeping in Snow mode is important to keep AWD engaged even with the steering wheel turned.

As far as grip is concerned, you can experience more stability driving on the freeway faster than others. But be careful, braking would be just as dangerous in the evo as in any other car.
:excellent:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

yea i played around with ASC on, 1-click off, and 3-second off. i definitely noticed the drifting was much more fluid when fully off. that's also exactly what i experienced: good control on straights, extreme caution on turns/braking. good to know i was doing something wrong or that nothing else was wrong!

Im new too at driving in the snow i live up in chicago and i just got my gsr 2012 and i too wanna no..but to tell u the truth i dont think that snow was an issue it depends on how slushy.The parking lot i had fun was packed snow with little slush but still had awesome time till 2 squads come rolling up i got out of there lol
the roads were veeeerrrry slushy. it was soft powder, so when water joined the mix it was pretty bad. i kept an eye out for cops, but it was a private lot and no one was around luckily.

Glad you had fun! I grew up elsewhere too so it takes some time but you get more use to it with practice. I would do the o Neil winter rally safety school if you want to accelerate your skills.

Post up videos o your fun when you get them!
haha i can't wait to practice again. i've also heard all kinds of good things about o'neil. i need to look into it.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice! I wanted to do that last night, we got 8 inches by me, but I didn't have winter tires yet...
good call on waiting for winter tires. i was slipping enough with blizzaks, i couldn't imagine driving on the summers.

also, OP updated with video! don't know if it's considered "reckless" by the forum. i'll be glad to remove it if so.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
Looks like you were taking it real easy. A full drift would have you turning your steering turned in the complete opposite direction of he turn. You were doing it a few places, but once you get a full hang of it, you will be doing the same thing faster.

Props to you though for having fun. Much better than my first time!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like you were taking it real easy. A full drift would have you turning your steering turned in the complete opposite direction of he turn. You were doing it a few places, but once you get a full hang of it, you will be doing the same thing faster.

Props to you though for having fun. Much better than my first time!
thanks! yea i got progressively faster, but wasn't looking to go all out on the first day. it's funny how slow it looks in the video though - it felt much scarier inside the car!!!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey Zumbido what were your expectations ??
i guess i didn't think i'd have to maneuver so carefully. i figured AWD+blizzaks+Evo meant asphalt-like handling in snow. it only took 5 minutes for me to learn otherwise as i accidentally drifted through an intersection soon after leaving the apartment!

·
Registered
754 Posts
snow tires are really just to help you get going .. this is why i got spend a lot of money on them .. you start turning and you start slinding .. and braking is much harder thing to learn i think .. the biggest thing is not "slamming" on the brakes and slowly brake a little earlier that you normally would .... and yes it has to do with you sucking at driving in snow !! and since your not comfortable driving in the snow you are really uncomfortable drifting or snow drifting .. but the good news is pratice is fun .. untill you crash !!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PORICAN
where did you do that at???
I did it on an empty parking lot on base, but if you meant Zumbido I dont know. lol
haha if this was meant for me - i went to my office parking lot. a coworker from nepal actually drove up while i was parked and checking out a video i just took...i don't think he knew what the hell i was doing!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.