Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I would like to discuss something that happened to my EvoX MR.
EvoX MR 2008 ~99k Miles

So about Jan 2020, I was out on a fun drive. At some point, going up hill I accelerated, the car downshift, upshift, and then it got stuck on second gear. I parked, turned off and back on, everything was fine. It threw a code but I did not pay attention and reset it with the Cobb AccessPort thinking it would return if there was a serious issue.

Then later on the same day, going uphill, the same thing happened, except this time the transmission would not engage. I pulled over, no codes this time, turn off and on, got it home.

After this I changed the SST Fluid, the filter was dirty.

I have been driving it for about 1 week after the oil change. Today I accelerated, it downshifted, upshift into 5th, then it got stuck there. It would not downshift to 4th or lower, but it would go into 6th. No codes. I pulled over, turn off and then back on, working "fine". Overall the whole shifting has been jerky, it is not changing gears properly. Something seems certainly off.

Any experience with this. I searched the forum but could not find a similar issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like your SST is fucked.
whatever you do don’t go to the stealership.
I recommend Kozmic FTW!
I am afraid it is. I read some post and people saying their SST acts funky when the MAF is damaged, but it did not really mentioned the SST getting stuck I believe. The transmission is almost 100k, guess it is time for a rebuild. Any suggestions of shops in the MD,VA,DC area?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm amazed your 08 SST has held up this long and for 100k miles. They usually give out around 60k-80k. I had an 08 MR and got an SST kill code (forget the number) at 80k miles in 2014. It was doing a lot of what you described; gears jumping around, etc. Respectable dealer told me it would be $15k to get replaced. Instead, I just bought a new 2014 MR. But then 4 years later in 2018 I got that same kill code at 65k miles. It was grinding going into 4th amongst other little problems. This time I researched and found out about Jack's Transmission in Colorado Springs. My dealer took the SST out and shipped it to Jack's ($2000), and Jack's rebuilt it with better than OEM parts and upgraded the clutch plate for 400hp ($5000). Then they shipped it back and my dealer reinstalled. So that cost $7000 and it's still my dd. 107k miles. Side note: a few months after getting it fixed the SST started acting up again, but it turned out to be the mechatronic (valve body) so I had to get that replaced too.

As I recall when I was looking into SST shops, there is Buschur somewhere in Ohio and they're generally considered the best in that part of the country. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm amazed your 08 SST has held up this long and for 100k miles. They usually give out around 60k-80k. I had an 08 MR and got an SST kill code (forget the number) at 80k miles in 2014. It was doing a lot of what you described; gears jumping around, etc. Respectable dealer told me it would be $15k to get replaced. Instead, I just bought a new 2014 MR. But then 4 years later in 2018 I got that same kill code at 65k miles. It was grinding going into 4th amongst other little problems. This time I researched and found out about Jack's Transmission in Colorado Springs. My dealer took the SST out and shipped it to Jack's ($2000), and Jack's rebuilt it with better than OEM parts and upgraded the clutch plate for 400hp ($5000). Then they shipped it back and my dealer reinstalled. So that cost $7000 and it's still my dd. 107k miles. Side note: a few months after getting it fixed the SST started acting up again, but it turned out to be the mechatronic (valve body) so I had to get that replaced too.

As I recall when I was looking into SST shops, there is Buschur somewhere in Ohio and they're generally considered the best in that part of the country. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing your experience with it mrcynkilla. Sorry to hear your first one dying out like that. Quick question, since the SST was bad, you said you got a new MR. What did you do with the old MR with the bad SST? Junk it, part it out? Dealer took it?

Yeah I imagine that whichever shop I take it around my area would need to ship it to someone to get it rebuilt. I am certainly not getting a new SST or an used one. Seems rebuilding with stronger internal would be the better option.

I do wish I could drive it to one of those main shops, Buschur, Kozmic, Jack's, rather thank having a middle man looking at it.

I will certainly be keeping the Evo longer if I have to rebuild it.:):)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quick question, since the SST was bad, you said you got a new MR. What did you do with the old MR with the bad SST? Junk it, part it out? Dealer took it?
I traded it in. It should have been worth ~$20k, but due to the SST they gave me $13k.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh
My SST is still running strong at 170000 plus miles.
Original one? No rebuild? Either way, glad it is working out for you. Any tips or trick?

After this, I feel like I will be keeping the Evo for at least that long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update. I do not have the full information on what happened, but here are some pictures of the transmission being fixed by SSP.

From what I gathered, something else broke, which caused metal flakes to grind down others parts.

I will update as I have more information for future reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oh

Original one? No rebuild? Either way, glad it is working out for you. Any tips or trick?

After this, I feel like I will be keeping the Evo for at least that long.
Yes original SST
Also modded with full boltons since 50k mikes too.

I changed the filter and fluids 3 times.
I only drive her in sport auto 99% of the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So below are the items SSP ended replacing.
SSP Evo X SST Stage 1 Transmission Build:
Evo X Repair/ Cleaning Labor
Evo X OEM Stator Hub Replacement w/needle bearing
Evo X OEM Clutch Hub Repacement
SSP Evo X Stage 1 Clutch
Evo X OEM Clutch Piston Seals
SSP OEM External Transmission Filter and Seal
SSP OEM Internal Transmission Filter with Magnet

Not sure what much of them mean or look like. I have some homework to do to understand it a little better. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts