Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of replacing my exhaust manifold with the MAP cast one. I have had a lot of troubles with the studs and nuts that connect into the head. They were rusted on there so bad I ended up snapping one in half and another stud tore the aluminum threads off in the head. I am attempting to fix the threads with a time sert, the head is still in the car so it’s pretty hard to get a good look and maneuver back there. This is the first time sert I put in and don’t think it was done right, it’s not flush with the counter bore, will this be fine or should I take it out and use a big sert and attempt to fix it again? Sorry if in the wrong thread, this is my first time using a forum

·
Registered
998 Posts
In order to replace that, drive an easy out into it and turn it out. You should be able to get away with re-doing the installation by tapping the hole further and trying again with a new insert. If it does not fit flush with the head, stop and remove the new one before locking it in place with the TIME-SERT tool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In order to replace that, drive an easy out into it and turn it out. You should be able to get away with re-doing the installation by tapping the hole further and trying again with a new insert. If it does not fit flush with the head, stop and remove the new one before locking it in place with the TIME-SERT tool.
I will remove it and give it another shot, if the original threads that are tapped into the aluminum head are angled and not straight, will I need to use a big sert? Or could I run the drill bit provided with the kit in there again and retap the threads again straight?

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Best to remove the head nd use a drill press or mill to make the holes correct. It is next to impossible to get the hole drilled straight and to the proper depth by hand in that area. Once that oval hole with the non-working insert becomes worse, it gets much more expensive to repair. (welding, machining a new hole, etc)

·
Registered
998 Posts
I will remove it and give it another shot, if the original threads that are tapped into the aluminum head are angled and not straight, will I need to use a big sert? Or could I run the drill bit provided with the kit in there again and retap the threads again straight?
It's entirely possible you could repair it with a BIG-SERT, but you need to be absolutely sure you get it straight, like suggested above. If you do not, then you're in for even more hassle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.