Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my tuner install a down pipe and straight pipe added and a tune for my 2011 EVO X.

Not sure if this is normal but there is the smell of exhaust off and on in the car. I figured this may be normal because the exhaust gases are not converted with the catalytic converter gone. Or is there a leak in the exhaust system? Obviously my concern is Carbon Monoxide getting in the cabin. Any of you guys experience this in your modified cars? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pretty typical but, yeah, you should double check for leaks. Most likely when you're idle the wind is blowing it back towards you and that's what you're smelling. And if you keep getting headaches while you drive then maybe cat-less isn't for you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yea it is probably just driving catless and then having windows down or the air not on recirculate mode and smelling it from outside.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yep pretty normal stuff . If you had a leak you will smell it all the time and
it would be pretty strong.
I drove around with a leak on The test pipe for a month and it was bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! NO CO

Thanks for all your responses. I placed a Carbon Monxide (CO) detector in the car just to make sure. Windows close and even with no recerculation... No CO!
Just have to get used to the smell and drive with windows closed and recirculate on (thanks).... The engine breathes better and well worth it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts