Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help with an issue I've been trying to track down for some time. Backstory, engine has 20k ish miles since the full rebuild and less than 3k since head was upgraded. Upgrades to head are Kelford 214B cams, ferrea standard size valves, GSC beehive springs and retainers, Magnus exhaust mivec delete, upgraded timing chain and new timing guides/tensioner.

Engine upgrades are eagle rods, wiseco pistons, Map cast manifold, map i/c kit, ams dp, ams extended cold air intake, gtx3576r bb turbo, tail bov, map catch can. ID1700x injectors, grimspeed ebc. supporting fuel mods including 340lph pump and nrgops flex fuel kit.

Parts replaced so far cam position sensor with oem twice, coils, spark plugs. Testing performed, leak down and compression.
Leakdown is perfect, no loss at all. Compression is low, approx 100 across the board. Boostleak test is good up to 30 psi.

Tuning is in progress with 91.

Problem: evoscan reads timing at -36 on exhaust vvt, car runs rough when goes into open-loop. CEL for over advance exhaust code is on.

Troubleshooting done to sensor, checked for resistance and continuity to exhaust cam sensors wires to ecu.

Looking for some help here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I decided to have a physical look under the valve cover just to be sure. I found only one thing concerning, when the engine was cold the timing chain had a good amount of play in it. after a few rotations, all the play was gone.

Strange thing though is after just looking at the sensors and the cams, wires. I saw nothing of note. I re-installed the valve cover and all of the sudden the timing problem was gone. It's not 100% at 0 but it within half a degree. it is kind of weird that it fluctuates but I don't know what the allowable fluctuation is.

Now the problem of the car bucking under cruise has returned when the car gets fully warmed up. If anyone wants to take a look at the logs and provide some feedback it would be great. My tuner is slow at responding and takes about two weeks to get back to me to send a revision

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts