Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife got me a leather/magnet money clip for christmas, looks awesome and I love it. Finally got to use it the first time yesterday when I was going to get my hair cut. Got there a bit early, they weren't even open and went to grab a coffee next door while I was waiting....

Got my hair cut done, my stylist had no idea what car I was driving, I told him it's a Evo X, turbo, awd....blah blah blah....he was very impressed about it....then I paid him for my hair cut and he watched me walk out to my car..........

Went out to start my car, car wouldn't start......I was like WTF ?! So embarrassing. Car would crank, that's it.....just cranks cranks cranks....

Reached my pocket, I put the money clip and the key in the same pocket, first thought was "Would this have anything to do with it?" So I tried again, same thing, just crank crank crank....

Then finally the third time, I took out the money clip, threw it on the passenger seat, sure enough, first try, car started like normal....what a relief..........

Anyone here had similar problem before ??

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Cell phones and magnets will disrupt the signal from the key.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, my iphone will interfere with the door locks if they are in the same pocket. Sometimes if I try to start the car it wont even turn and say key not found. At least it was just the money clip :)

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Hahaha. Is it just the mitsubishi that have issues with the fast keys?
alot of manufacturers are using them now or a version.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone

·
Registered
128 Posts
No. Never had men hairstylist fixated at me. I go to a barber.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
The FAST key has a VERY weak signal - like 3 feet max. Anything metal (or live electronics or magnet) will attenuate the signal, whcih decreases the range. Iirc there at at least 4 FAST receivers in the car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It totally caught me by surprise...

The door unlocked normally, but just didn't start....

I guess the door handle found the signal...but why would I be able to crank it ? If the signal is total fail (like if you don't have the key with you), wouldn't the "key knob" be locked ?? I was able to crank it like normal...but just didn't fire up.....

Maybe the car can tell the key was there, but the magnet messed up the "Hz" just enough....

Definely will not do that again...especially it's winter now...

Car won't start is one of the worst feeling on my list.....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
When I put my laptop up sitting in the drivers seat getting ready to scan, the "no key" warning comes up. The laptop is enough to throw off the fast key signal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My iPhone did this like everyone else mentioned above. I've accidentally taken a cordless phone from work home once or twice and it's the same deal. My new cell phone (Evo by HTC) doesn't have this problem :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
I don't think the magnet was the issue. If the magnet interfered with the key, you wouldn't even hear the cranking, just a clicking sound. It happened to me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yep I couldn't figure out why my doors wouldn't open with my iPhone and keys in the same pocket... then I read online it interferes with the signal -.-

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't know if this happens to anyone else but I keep my iphone in my left pocket and keys in the right. When I reach for the door with my left hand nothing happens but if I reach for the door with my right it'll unlock every time. I've actually stood next to my car without moving my feet and just alternated hands reaching for the door just to make sure the iphone is the same distance to the door when trying to trigger the unlock. Explaining this odd dance to my baffled looking neighbors is just as embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It totally caught me by surprise...

The door unlocked normally, but just didn't start....

I guess the door handle found the signal...but why would I be able to crank it ? If the signal is total fail (like if you don't have the key with you), wouldn't the "key knob" be locked ?? I was able to crank it like normal...but just didn't fire up.....

Maybe the car can tell the key was there, but the magnet messed up the "Hz" just enough....

Definely will not do that again...especially it's winter now...

Car won't start is one of the worst feeling on my list.....
The frequency of the signal isn't changed, but as this poster said:

what's happening is that you immoblizer chip is getting interference by Magnet/cell phone signal.
And :

The FAST key has a VERY weak signal - like 3 feet max. Anything metal (or live electronics or magnet) will attenuate the signal, whcih decreases the range. Iirc there at at least 4 FAST receivers in the car.
are correct.

Electronics and magnets will create EMF (Electro Magnetic Fields). The field strength can vary, like the iPhone speaker is much stronger than the the one in my OG Droid or Droid Charge I have. However what is actually happening is when these fields are active they will "bend" the direction the radio communication travels and prevent the ignition from detecting the key.

The solution for this is to add more power to the FAST transmitter so it can get it's signal through the interference, but I'm sure that would mean shorter battery life of the FAST transmitter.

I keep my FAST key on a snapring that I clip to my beltloop, when I get in the car I put my phone in it's dock, which is located on the otherside of the steering column. I never have a problem with it working.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts