Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently purchased an EVO X the car has light mods and a flex fuel tune on it from the previous owner. I do not know what the car was tuned with but I took it for safety and emissions yesterday. It passed the safety but on the emissions side of things it failed the readyness tests. the fail reasons are 02 sensor heater: not completed, catalytic converter: not completed & evap system: not completed. It doesn't have any check engine lights on in the car. Here is the list of mods can anyone advise what i need to do to get these fail reasons updated so that they will pass. I initially thought it was possibly because of the ets test pipe but when i looked at it online it said that it has a high flow cat unless they once sold it without the cat and that's the version I have. Any helpful tips and information would be much appreciated. Here is the parts list I got with the car

flex fuel tuned,
1300cc injectors
dw300c fuel pump
flex fuel kit
ams down pipe
ams intercooler
ets test pipe
mishimoto radiator
ets upper intercooler pipe
ets intake
KWV3 coils
ZE40 18*9.5 +22
reinforced rods and pistons

·
Premium Member
11 gsr self tuning noob - Tp, Cbe, intake, uicp, GM 3 port and crushed BOV
151 Posts
Either find a tuner to look at your rom or buy a tactrix and look yourself if not your gonna have to put it back to stock or find someone in your area to help with smog

·
Premium Member
11 gsr self tuning noob - Tp, Cbe, intake, uicp, GM 3 port and crushed BOV
151 Posts

·
Administrator
3,383 Posts
What is a tactrix and do you have a link for it?
Here's one from a forum sponsored vendor:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you in Cali? You need a few fixes + an extra step if in Cali

1. Put OEM catalytic converter back on
2. Remove Flex Fuel kit, this disabled your evap
3. If you're in California, you must go back to stock tune. This means removing flex fuel and injectors, all other mods should be ok but just stay out of boost

Should've done your research before buying bro, good luck!

·
Administrator
3,383 Posts
Are you in Cali? You need a few fixes + an extra step if in Cali

1. Put OEM catalytic converter back on
2. Remove Flex Fuel kit, this disabled your evap
3. If you're in California, you must go back to stock tune. This means removing flex fuel and injectors, all other mods should be ok but just stay out of boost

Should've done your research before buying bro, good luck!
A tune can bypass the disabled EVAP monitor. And you only need the cat if they do a visual inspection.

·
Registered
11 Evo X MR
82 Posts
From what I read, it looks for checksums to match, apparently this changes when you mod the rom idk i'm not a tuner, also they look to see if the rom id matches what is in their system.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No one knows how they do it for sure yet but there's definitely solid evidence of people passing then later getting a BAR notice to go get state reffed

The main theory is that they've been collecting stock tunes over the past decade or so and matching it with those they've collected. That is why people pass no problem even with a "hot" smog and then 3 months later receive a notice in the mail

I am pretty sure they don't do any sort of check to see if you altered the ECU because I've done it and passed on stock tune

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No one knows how they do it for sure yet but there's definitely solid evidence of people passing then later getting a BAR notice to go get state reffed

The main theory is that they've been collecting stock tunes over the past decade or so and matching it with those they've collected. That is why people pass no problem even with a "hot" smog and then 3 months later receive a notice in the mail

I am pretty sure they don't do any sort of check to see if you altered the ECU because I've done it and passed on stock tune
Im not in california I am in MO so if all I need is a tune to correct it I will let my tuner know. I bought the ets testpipe with the high flow cat because I found out that the car didn't have one just the test pipe without one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
+ Following
As an update the car is at a shop here getting a tomei ti exhaust with the ets midpipe with the high flow cat and a bunch of other go fast goodies and a retune. They say they can take care of the emissions issue and give me an inspection at this shop as well and the shop has 75 reviews and all but one of them are 5 stars so I am anticipating great things. All I really want out of the car is 400whp on the stock turbo on E-85 so we will see. Its got pretty much full bolt ons and a built bottom end with the exception of the turbo which is my next big upgrade once everything is sorted out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts