Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Well after having fun with BMW guys in the school several months back, this weekend I managed to be at my first official SCCA event. Did some changes to the car before which pretty much brought it back to the stock trim. Basically, swapped back my OEM tires instead of DSW all seasons and flipped the crash bolts in the front to get additional degree of camber. All of that was completed with alignment (0 toe in the front and 0.04 degrees of toe-in (basically at the manufacturers edge) in the rear). Car definitely felt more grippy in the front with new tires and extra camber. I wish I also increased the camber in the rear, but that will happen at the other time, I guess.

Event it self was interesting since several other guys I used to race with back in late 90s made it there for the first time in ages. So, I left trainy in S-Sport and manual. AWC was in Gravel, and traction was in OFF-OFF position. It was pretty hot with temps in high 90s. After few runs I was a bit frustrated because transitioning was very difficult with the car. Even slight steering inputs would bring the tail out and I just couldn't keep it under control. Steady state was pretty good and rear end was coming around pretty nice. Unfortunately, I was not ready to drive that car as fast as it should have been. All my runs were pretty safe and I just couldn't bring my self closer to that edge.

One of the reasons for it is the noise that those street tires make. Now, the OEM Yokos make much less noise compared to the DSWs, but compared to the race tires, the noise was horrible. With race tires (that means last few generations of Hoosiers), once you get more noise you are already over the edge and you need to correct what you are doing. With street tires, they start to scream quite early on, but then they need to be pushed even further in order to get maximum traction from them. I just could get my self to go there mainly by not knowing what the car will do once it gets there! If I had driven my old car with old setup that I know I could have thrown into the corner hard and it would come out of it the way it should, with this car I just don't trust it yet. Any other attempt to do the same with the street tires doesn't come appealing at all and unless I get some race rubber for it, it will be hard to do this again.

Still, I was able to see some interesting things. First one is about OEM tires. They hold the heat in them incredible long! Even after not racing on them for 3 hours after the morning runs, they where still at 130 to 140 degrees. I was spraying them down with ice water, but it just didn't help much. I believe that two driver setup on the hot day and 6 runs each would probably destroy the tires completely.

Second thing was about traction control. I was running it at OFF-OFF, but I think now that OFF position would work much better for the street tires. Race rubber might require more action so OFF-OFF position might be better, but for the tires I have, I don't think so any more. I also did the test the very next day on the on ramp that I usually use for testing and with traction in OFF position I managed to go the faster ever through it. Of course, more of testing on the autoX course is needed, but I do believe at this time that keeping the AYC Break ON, might keep transition under control a bit better, which would be of great help.

As of going after other cars in BS, it is still to hard to say. Street tires give you quite different feel from the race rubber that any comparison is almost impossible to make. Down the line, I am still slightly optimistic, but more testing is definitely needed. Then, with addition of race tires (and 5 mm offsets for the wheels), then shocks, and finally front sway bar, things will be more clear. We did have one of the top guys in the country in their GXP and they where about 4-5 second faster then me and other EVO driver that was there. The thing is their car is making 260 HP and 260 ft/lb of torque and it weights 2850. That makes it 600-700 lb lighter then EVO X. So, potentially capable of 330 HP and about as much of torque with AWD might be too hard to match. They also have lower CG and at least as much rubber we could get in the stock trim. Still, sometime sum of all parts is greater on one car then the other, so lets see how the dice will be rolling in the future!

Fedja

·
[X Performance Mod], [Racing Mod], [Local Team Mem
11,761 Posts
Time to start gutting yours I guess.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time to start gutting yours I guess.
Not sure what to do about that, though. I have been grease monkey for a long time while racing with my 2G DSM and I just don't want to do that much of work that was needed to keep that one running well.

The idea was to get a car that would be raced in Stock instead, because they don't allow you to change that many things anyway. We will see how much of this plan is feasible.

Fedja

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more thing that I forgot to mention. Stock rules don't allow that much to be taken off anyway, so if I make it below 3500, I would be very happy!

Fedja

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was 1.1 to 1.4 seconds behind the Kozlaks and 0.8 seconds behind Jadrice, per day, in Toledo. The only modifications I have are a catback, alignment and A6s.

Shocks and swaybar will be absolutely necessary on this car if I want to trophy.
I plan on having a bar and at least the rear shocks for Nationals.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was 1.1 to 1.4 seconds behind the Kozlaks and 0.8 seconds behind Jadrice, per day, in Toledo. The only modifications I have are a catback, alignment and A6s.

Shocks and swaybar will be absolutely necessary on this car if I want to trophy.
Nice to know!!

What size tires where you able to fit under the car?

Also, did you use stock wheels? Wheel spacers? Aftermarket wheels with right offset?

What did you find out about the shocks/struts? Anyone willing to make something that would be good and still use stock perches?

Thanks!

Fedja

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you allowed a tune?
Of course you are!! You can run AC on any setting you wish in order to tune to the right temps inside the car! Oh, wait! We have to run with open windows...scratch that part! :)

We can't touch anything inside the ECU, so no tune on the end. The only things you can change that have something to do with the tune are any air filter (as long as it is in the stock box), and any cat-back exhaust (you can save some and not run the muffler and end it with the straight pipe as long as noise is under the max level, which it should be). There is nothing else that you could change that would affect the tune.

Fedja

·
Auto-X-phile, [Auto-X Moderator], [Marketplace Mod
3,612 Posts
Are you allowed a tune?
Nope...

NJ Drive said:

Awesome driving as those are some excellent drivers. :)

Are you going to the NE Divs?

·
[X Performance Mod], [Racing Mod], [Local Team Mem
11,761 Posts
Looks like this is the perfect case for an RS. If only we had that available..............

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, SE model is kind of RS with SST trainy! :)

Fedja

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nice to know!!

What size tires where you able to fit under the car?

Also, did you use stock wheels? Wheel spacers? Aftermarket wheels with right offset?

What did you find out about the shocks/struts? Anyone willing to make something that would be good and still use stock perches?

Thanks!

Fedja
I'm running 295 A6s on Enkei PF01s 18" x 8.5" with a +35 offset. Tire Rack didn't list this as a working offset before the season started so I made the call to have them check it. It fit, and was then placed as an available working offset for the Evo X.

I got very minor rubbing on the front strut at the NJ Pro Solo. I now run 3mm spacers up there. At the rear, the inside tread about an inch wide starting from the sidewall rubs something, also very minor.

I have someone who is currently putting together a package for the Evo X which uses their own cartridge placed inside our front Bilstein strut(MR/SE) and a Penske rear shock. It is still in development and said to be 12 weeks before a final product. This is good news for anyone looking to pursue B Stock with any hope of catching S2000s and Solstices. We are so terribly under-sprung though it's sad.

I have a campsite in Loop 3 for the NEDivs but don't know if I'm going yet.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm running 295 A6s on Enkei PF01s 18" x 8.5" with a +35 offset. Tire Rack didn't list this as a working offset before the season started so I made the call to have them check it. It fit, and was then placed as an available working offset for the Evo X.

I got very minor rubbing on the front strut at the NJ Pro Solo. I now run 3mm spacers up there. At the rear, the inside tread about an inch wide starting from the sidewall rubs something, also very minor.
So, those wheels that you have mentioned are 3 mm lower then the stock ones which are with 38 mm offset. By adding 3 mm spacers you are now 6 mm off of the stock allowance. I know I am splitting the hair here, but I also know how anal some of the competitors could/will be if car gets any of the trophy positions at the Nationals or any other National type event.

Do you think that having 285s instead of your 295s would help in that rubbing issue at all, because they shorter and tiny bit narrower as well?

I have someone who is currently putting together a package for the Evo X which uses their own cartridge placed inside our front Bilstein strut(MR/SE) and a Penske rear shock. It is still in development and said to be 12 weeks before a final product. This is good news for anyone looking to pursue B Stock with any hope of catching S2000s and Solstices. We are so terribly under-sprung though it's sad.
Any more news on this one? Is there a chance to have double adjustable units? How about the external tanks?

Thanks!

Fedja

·
Registered
103 Posts
So, those wheels that you have mentioned are 3 mm lower then the stock ones which are with 38 mm offset. By adding 3 mm spacers you are now 6 mm off of the stock allowance. I know I am splitting the hair here, but I also know how anal some of the competitors could/will be if car gets any of the trophy positions at the Nationals or any other National type event.

Do you think that having 285s instead of your 295s would help in that rubbing issue at all, because they shorter and tiny bit narrower as well?

Any more news on this one? Is there a chance to have double adjustable units? How about the external tanks?

Thanks!

Fedja
I am running what is effectively +32 in the front, using the +35 PF01 and 3mm spacer. It is already at the legal limit since +38 is stock.

As for the shocks, I believe they have every intention of adding those options if so desired. They haven't proven themselves to me though as a shock builder, since they just sold a Penske setup to another 'Hamfist' member with less-than-stellar fitment and design. He is very disappointed to say the least... they better rectify the situation quickly.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am running what is effectively +32 in the front, using the +35 PF01 and 3mm spacer. It is already at the legal limit since +38 is stock.
Thanks a lot for the clarification since I was under the wrong impression all this time by thinking that only 5 mm spacers are allowed, instead of 0.25".

As for the shocks, I believe they have every intention of adding those options if so desired. They haven't proven themselves to me though as a shock builder, since they just sold a Penske setup to another 'Hamfist' member with less-than-stellar fitment and design. He is very disappointed to say the least... they better rectify the situation quickly.
Hmm, that is not a good news! Hopefully, they will come around! Let us know if things change in that sense!

Thanks again!

Fedja

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

I'm guessing that these are 295/30/18's, I've been trying to figure out which size to go with A6's on stock Enkei's and I'm excited to hear that you can get such a wide tire in there. I have some questions that I hope you can help me with.

Do you feel the difference in gearing with the 295/30's? I guess the slight difference in tire circumference helps with the "short" gearing on the X.
and
Do you feel any sidewall rollover during cornering at all with the wide tire/narrow rim?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Well, SE model is kind of RS with SST trainy! :)

Fedja
The 8/9 RS had no power windows, no radio and no AC i believe...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm guessing that these are 295/30/18's, I've been trying to figure out which size to go with A6's on stock Enkei's and I'm excited to hear that you can get such a wide tire in there. I have some questions that I hope you can help me with.

Do you feel the difference in gearing with the 295/30's? I guess the slight difference in tire circumference helps with the "short" gearing on the X.
and
Do you feel any sidewall rollover during cornering at all with the wide tire/narrow rim?
Well, the 295/30/18 A6 is shorter than any 245/40/18, so gearing is slightly shorter. The gearing I found was perfect for Pros but you'll need 3rd for Tours, which is a breeze with the SST.

A6s require smooth inputs and do not like being over-driven. Thankfully the X gets decent camber up front(I managed to get -2.1° to -2.2°) which resulted in pretty even tire wear. I also got 50+ runs out of them with no signs of cording, and half of those were without a front sway bar upgrade.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thanks for the input, I'll be the guy stalking your car at the next NYR or NNJR autox!

I'm going to run a couple of events on stock setup to get some feedback from the car then I will be putting on some A6's. I just picked up a set of stock Enkei's for a track set.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts