Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to the forums and to the car-tuning scene in general. As I mentioned in my intro post, I bought my 2010 PB GSR back in October, and have the following mods:

AEM intake
AMS Intercooler
Whiteline Rear Sway bar
Tomei Upper Intercooler Pipe
ETS v2 Catback
Cobb Accessport with custom tune

So far I am happy with the power, but from what I've read, you can really eek a lot more out with some simple modifications. I don't know how crazy I want to go in terms of price-- I'm really focused on quality parts. My tuner owns a 2008 RR and he suggested a MBC and maybe a testpipe? I don't know if I could deal with the smell...

Any advice is appreciated. I've used the search function but haven't really found a set-up that fits my needs. I want safe, reliable power, and I may go to a few AutoX days.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
706 Posts
Id stick with stock EBC or get a 3 port ebc if your looking to upgrade the BC. im not fan of MBC.

if your not fan of the test pipe get HFC will get around same hp and less smell.

get a downpipe when you change out that cat to get you full 3" allway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I sat in my friend's car the other day and drove it around a bit... Needless to say it seemed a bit overpowering when we were at stop-lights.

Edit:

I apologize for my noobish-ness... But why not a MBC? What is a 3 port?

·
[Local Team Member], aka JDAVID-EVO X
16,650 Posts
AMS downpipe, 3-port and Tune

Welcome to the forums

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Demon X!

It looks like the downpipe is the portion of the exhaust that attaches to the turbo, is that a difficult process?

Also, what is your recommendation on Test-Pipes and High-Flow Cats?

I am still confused on the 3-port.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Start a fund for a blown motor just in case....

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

What do you mean, exactly? I am planning on building the motor at a later date, or doing a swap for one that's already built.

Is there something wrong with my modifications?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The smell of the test pipe isn't really bad at all if you dont have exhaust leaks.
I have no cats for 2+ years and have never smelt rotten eggs except for when i shart

·
Registered
241 Posts
What do you mean, exactly? I am planning on building the motor at a later date, or doing a swap for one that's already built.

Is there something wrong with my modifications?
Welcome!

I don't think they are implying anything is wrong with your car, they are just recommending a new motor as an insurance policy. That's all. A 3port is a type of electronic boost controller. It requires a tune after install to work properly.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Start a fund for a blown motor just in case....

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

i have one already is my furture childs college saving fund.:thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome!

I don't think they are implying anything is wrong with your car, they are just recommending a new motor as an insurance policy. That's all. A 3port is a type of electronic boost controller. It requires a tune after install to work properly.

Oh okay... I will keep that in mind. Is it easier to tune than a MBC?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oh okay... I will keep that in mind. Is it easier to tune than a MBC?
I have no idea, I'm a noob as well, lol.

·
[Local Team Member], aka JDAVID-EVO X
16,650 Posts
3-port could be safer too.. Everyone in here uses them on the X

AND if you have the right tools and patience to install the downpipe you will get it done with no problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh okay.. Is the downpipe harder than an intercooler? I was surprised we got it done in 4 hours. What is the benefit of a downpipe?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Oh okay.. Is the downpipe harder than an intercooler? I was surprised we got it done in 4 hours. What is the benefit of a downpipe?

Depends on the DP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about the AMS one Demon X suggested? What is the difference between this and comparable DPs?

·
Registered
321 Posts
the ams is massive compared to any other dp. MAP's divorce DP is a popular choice too. Test pipe over DP because i saw almost zero gains when i changed the 02 DP. you will see the gains from a DP when you go with a bigger turbo. If you cant stand the CO2 get a 3" Highflow cat- metallic substrate.

The short downpipes are easy to install compared to the long 02 ones. you will need a retune for the 3port. I'm in the same boat too, i just got tuned and i am wanting a bit more but the next logical step in this power progression always points to supporting a larger turbo. so i am saving the pennies and collecting parts to do it all at once no half steps.
nice mods BTW

·
Vendor
543 Posts
MAP's divorce DP is a popular choice too.
Thanks for the referral :) OP: Here are some examples of what these guys are referring to, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. As others have mentioned you'll definitely have to get tuned after making these changes.

http://www.maperformance.com/map-stainless-steel-o2-eliminator-downpipe-for-evo-x-o2e-ss-evox.html

http://www.maperformance.com/map-stainless-steel-test-pipe-mitsubishi-evo-x-map-evox_tp.html

http://www.maperformance.com/grimmspeed-3-port-electronic-boost-control-solenoid-evo-x-057019-x.html

1 - 20 of 35 Posts