Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 4594 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you stay fit? Whats your max bench? Height/weight? Goals/Diets? Age?
Im 6'2 235lbs bench 380 im 27 years old and compete in powerlifting. My diet is a high protien high carb free for all.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
I run till I feel satisfied. Usually 3 miles or so.
I work out on a daily basis but I dont pay any attention to MAX anything. Im not a meat head so I just do what feels right. Usually I try to lift everything 10 times. But I also only use dumbells. I have a fucked up wrist so that is whats easiest for me. My ultimate goal is to just be pretty solid/ripped/healthy.

Im gonna be 30 this year so my matabolism is falling off lol.
6'1 185lbs.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that metabolism will catch up with us at some point lol thats all i keep hearing. I hate all forms of cardio i stay lean without it but eventually will have to start doing it.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
I hear ya man. I hate cardio as well but being in the military, I have to run every so often and make it in a certain time. So I kind of have to. If that wasnt the case, I could stay pretty lean by just lifting. Its just one of those things

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I run till I feel satisfied. Usually 3 miles or so.
I work out on a daily basis but I dont pay any attention to MAX anything. Im not a meat head so I just do what feels right. Usually I try to lift everything 10 times. But I also only use dumbells. I have a fucked up wrist so that is whats easiest for me. My ultimate goal is to just be pretty solid/ripped/healthy.

Im gonna be 30 this year so my matabolism is falling off lol.
6'1 185lbs.
same here

6'1 188

Run 2 miles a week
Play soccer 2-4 hrs a week
Workout with weights About two days a week.

I try and eat lots of raw nuts, fruit veggies, lean chicken and fish.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Power lifting will definitely catch up to you later in life. Keep in mind, 235 is 235, does not matter if it is fat or muscle, your heart still needs to work harder to supply that much tissue. Lifting heavy is a joint killer.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'm 23 years old and in order to stay fit I run, do alot of cardio based weight lifting, and ALOT of core stuff. The cardio coupled with core workouts keeps me pretty fit. I'm 5' 10" and weigh 180 ibs. I haven't tried maxing out on bench or anything, don't really care to do that, but the most I've done so far is five reps of 330ibs after a hour long workout. I don't really have a diet and eat pretty much whatever I want; however, if I changed that I would probably see better results. The best results I have gotten were from working out with medium weight, controlling it, and moving through each "station" with as short of a break as possible in between. Keeps you sweating balls and works best for me. :rock: Just so you know I started working out two years ago and weighed 225 ibs so hard work and dedication pays off. :dancebanana:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm 23 years old and in order to stay fit I run, do alot of cardio based weight lifting, and ALOT of core stuff. The cardio coupled with core workouts keeps me pretty fit. I'm 5' 10" and weigh 180 ibs. I haven't tried maxing out on bench or anything, don't really care to do that, but the most I've done so far is five reps of 330ibs after a hour long workout. I don't really have a diet and eat pretty much whatever I want; however, if I changed that I would probably see better results. The best results I have gotten were from working out with medium weight, controlling it, and moving through each "station" with as short of a break as possible in between. Keeps you sweating balls and works best for me. :rock: Just so you know I started working out two years ago and weighed 225 ibs so hard work and dedication pays off. :dancebanana:
i came from a 175lb frame 3 years ago so we're pretty much opposites in directions. And medium weights and perfect form will build you better and stronger than killing yourself in there for 3-4 reps of heavy weight on every exercise. I only max bench the rest is the same as you. Form and diet is key to getting max results.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
5'11" 175-180 depending on how big of a shit I take. Aiming for 200.

I'm 27 and I have a ridiculous metabolism, if I stop lifting and eating a ton, I slowly drop the pounds and level out at 145, don't get any skinnier than that. Then I eat and eat and eat and lift, gain some good weight, and if some life changing event happens and I stop keeping up with it, the pounds just melt :(

"They" all told me my metabolism would slow down when I hit 25, NOPE! Chuck Testa.

As for max, I don't do 'em. I rep 90 lb dumbbells on flat bench if that says anything. Btw, what the hell is up with bench numbers? Why does everybody care about it? Even people who don't know shit about lifting or never step foot in a gym:

"Yo bro, what's your max?"
"Uh max what?"
"Bench bro, what's your max bench?" :freak:
"Incline? Decline? Flat?"
"Ionno bro, just your bench, what do you max"
"Barbell, dumbbell?"
"Bro..."

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Think of bench pressing max, as some people think of HP numbers. Its just one of those measuring tools I guess

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
5'10 210lbs max bench is 310lbs..couldnt get 315 before my cut :( Looks like ill have to wait till Fall to go for that again..haha. Max dead lift is 405 2x and high Squat is 315(REAL SQUAT)..Im 210 now, down about 15lbs since Feb. I still have about 15 more to lose before May 29th. Diet just depends on the time of year...Fall is High Carbs High Protein...Spring is Low Low Carbs, High GOOD Fats, High protein and summer my diet is beer.

Id also like to add I have a wingspan of a 6'3 person..haha

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm 23, 5'6 165lbs...my max powerlifts are 335 bench, 500 squat and 400 dead. I have trained on and off with no real diet through my teens. Started power lifting in grade 11. I just eat everything in sight and make sure I get my proper vitamins and protein. Animal paks is the my only must supplement while training.

I've been out of gym for over 6 months so, I'm probably a little shy off my numbers. I just go and pay my membership and worked out lightly here and there all winter. Haha

I'm starting to go and lift now just strengthening doing German volume training. It really sucks.

5,198 Posts
You 2X yr olds are depressing me.

I recently got back into shape and being active over the last year. I sat on my ass (literally) for the last decade.

I'm 36 now. This last year has been a royal PITA to get back into shape and active again.

Take my advice, never let yourself get too far out of shape...

I'm currently 5'9" 156. I was 195 last year, it was all fat and nothing else. I literally had to buy all new clothes. It was expensive. ;)

So I lost 40lbs in 7 months while adding muscle. I'm shooting for more muscle, 165 lbs or so, maybe 175.

The biggest thing that helped me this last year was setting a real attainable goal. That goal was playing Lacrosse again, for the first time in over 15 years. Not only playing, but not killing myself doing it, being able to keep up with 25yr olds and not getting destroyed by lumbering defensemen.

I found a local mens team and went for it. So far I'm two months into the season. I feel like a totally different person from last year but still have a ways to go.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Bench press numbers have little bearing on actual workouts since it is all based on work. W=FxD. Short arms and big chest=little work. Long arms and small chest=large work. So you could bench only 250lbs. and actually be in better shape than the guy with the stubby arms and barrel chest benching 400lbs bouncing it off his chest wall.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts

I'm 27 and I have a ridiculous metabolism, if I stop lifting and eating a ton, I slowly drop the pounds and level out at 145, don't get any skinnier than that. Then I eat and eat and eat and lift, gain some good weight, and if some life changing event happens and I stop keeping up with it, the pounds just melt :(

"They" all told me my metabolism would slow down when I hit 25, NOPE! Chuck Testa.

As for max, I don't do 'em. I rep 90 lb dumbbells on flat bench if that says anything. Btw, what the hell is up with bench numbers? Why does everybody care about it? Even people who don't know shit about lifting or never step foot in a gym:

"Yo bro, what's your max?"
"Uh max what?"
"Bench bro, what's your max bench?" :freak:
"Incline? Decline? Flat?"
"Ionno bro, just your bench, what do you max"
"Barbell, dumbbell?"
"Bro..."
If you stay active, your metabolism will also remain high. Muscle mass is the real key. If you lose muscle you will gain fat and slow your metabolism. Has nothing to do with age, but you body does become less efficient with age. What type of foods you eat also plays a BIG part.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Bench press numbers have little bearing on actual workouts since it is all based on work. W=FxD. Short arms and big chest=little work. Long arms and small chest=large work. So you could bench only 250lbs. and actually be in better shape than the guy with the stubby arms and barrel chest benching 400lbs bouncing it off his chest wall.
Haha I love watching guys with super short arms bench press...haha seriously like a 3 inch Range of motion.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

Basically the exact same as me, but I'm an inch taller. Past few months I've been lifting pretty hard and I've dropped down to 178-180. Can't gain weight to save my ass.

I prefer dumbbells for bench, too. Barbell seems like a dick measuring tool and I just hate the way it feels.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Think of bench pressing max, as some people think of HP numbers. Its just one of those measuring tools I guess
Lol good way of putting it joe, to me its just setting and breaking personal goals nothing more than that.

1 - 20 of 4594 Posts