Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately I've noticed that something is wrong with my S-AWC System. Whats happening is the icon that reads Tarmac, Snow, Gravel.... Flashes nearly all the time. I read in the book that this will flash if agressive driving is detected. However It flashes on me nearly all the time reguardless of how tame I drive the car. Even on normal takeoff from being stopped it will start to flash. Anyone have any ideas?

Just an FYI I have no other indicators or codes that pop up using Cobb AP

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
what picture is being displayed? that should give you a clue. Also, check your brake fluid level.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no picture displayed. The text Tarmac or Snow and so on...... is the only this thats flashing. No other indicators are present.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
It's never flashed at me at auto x or on the street. I wonder how "aggressive" you have to drive. Or perhaps I'm just to busy driving aggressively to notice :p

Sounds like a sensor issue of some sort.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Just read my manual and I don't see it mention it anywhere. Is the car driving normally? Any abnormal sounds?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did find it, in there somewhere not sure what page.

Just that small section that says tarmac is flashing. And the center line under S-AWC disapears. When this happens im unable to change the settings between tarmac and snow or gravel. Otherwise cars drives normally no issues or sounds.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Just found this:

(Read page 7)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tarmac gravel snow mitsubishi flashing&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CHMQFjAH&url=http://www.motec.com/filedownload.php/MDC2%20Manual%20A4.pdf?docid=3242&ei=0rPzTuGEPIbZ0QH2r_3DAg&usg=AFQjCNHXYEWKBBIbWAVDuZ6KjiF0qTmR6g&sig2=7aXDcz7fOifyKzbqr3ziyQ

Fault indication
Faults are indicated by flashing the following message on the dash centre display.

<Image of Tarmac/Gravel/Snow message>

This display will continue to flash until there have been no faults present for 2 seconds.
Fault codes and diagnostic codes are included in the CAN diagnostic messages, as described in Appendix A – Fault Codes.

5,198 Posts
There is a fault in the ACD. On the 7/8/9 the Tarmac/Gravel/Snow where three dots and all three would light up and blink when there was a fault.

Most of the time it was because of low fluid, or air in the system after a Tcase/trans install.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Read codes, it's a problem with the SAWC.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it based on how many times it flashes similar to some check enginge lights or do I need a scanner of some sort?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Do you have a code reader? AP or Ecuflash/tactrix?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Check to be sure again, but here is what I would suggest:

Check out the fluid level in the hydraulic unit reservoir. It's located in the trunk behind a panel on the passenger side wheel well. Check to see if fluid is between the lines.

Are you under warranty? Was there any service where the lines or pump was removed or someone fiddled with it?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok thank you guys for all the help! I checked and no Codes but when I checked the fluid...the level was very low. After picking up some fluid from the dealership and topping it off. The flashing went away. So problem fixed. Im just curious as to how it got so low? I recently had my clutch replaced and am curious if the fluid could have been leaked during this process. Is it possible? I have no leaks so im not sure how it could get so low.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Yeah, when you do the clutch you gotta take out the transfer case and those lines like to leak even when you try to clamp them off (That stupid shit leaked all over me once). Also, it's technically supposed to be bled, but whatevs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a similar problem but the thing that flashes is the middle bar that shows all the bars when u accelerate fast the problem is it lights up w bars when I'm driving normal .

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They probably did just that but never filled the resavoir back up.
Im just glad that it did casue any further damage.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Check the rear diff (AYC) bleeder nipples and the single bleed nipple on the T-Case. See if they are weeping any ATF fluid because they are loose. They look like a brake bleeder on the caliper, etc.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts