Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yeah I take supplements & still eat. Also exercise almost daily.....so yeah I agree with the author of this article as she states that you cannot eat pretty much anything and still be healthy while taking supplements.

·
[Bone Closet Mod], [Marketplace Mod]
1,851 Posts
If you have questions post them up... I ran a health food store for a while. I'm not Mr. Scientist but I've kept up with industry news from the Mr. Scientist folks.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Personally, I hate pills. I take Vit. C and Glucosamine-Chondroitin daily because I find it much easier to get those in large amounts that way, but I don't see the point in taking anything else. I like my veggies and I do eat some fruit.

·
1,851 Posts
Personally, I hate pills. I take Vit. C and Glucosamine-Chondroitin daily because I find it much easier to get those in large amounts that way, but I don't see the point in taking anything else. I like my veggies and I do eat some fruit.
I can understand this but your diet is above average. What you are lacking is essential fatty acids. The American diet does not get them in nearly high enough doses. I also recommend B-vitamins since they are the fundamental building block of everything in your body.

Additionally, I take a food based multi-vitamin, these are generally a 1/3 of the strength of your normal multivitamin. Think of this like gap coverage, an additional support to your diet.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
I can understand this but your diet is above average. What you are lacking is essential fatty acids. The American diet does not get them in nearly high enough doses. I also recommend B-vitamins since they are the fundamental building block of everything in your body.

Additionally, I take a food based multi-vitamin, these are generally a 1/3 of the strength of your normal multivitamin. Think of this like gap coverage, an additional support to your diet.
Looking at these sources, I think I'm OK on the basic levels.
B-vitamins: love potatoes, chili peppers, turkey, tuna, tempeh, and I eat lentils and bananas in recipes.
Essential fatty acids: love fish and shellfish, use canola oil a lot in cooking, I like sunflower seeds, adore leafy vegetables, and eat walnuts.

Until a year ago, I didn't take anything and I've never broken a bone or had more than a cold.

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

WTF is a food based multivitiman?

·
1,851 Posts
I just saw this on CNN this morning: Vegetables without vitamins

In a nutshell, food based vitamins are extracted from natural sources. Using a process which generally involves yeast and other things they remove the nutrients from real foods and produce them into a pill. The binding technique is similar to real food, which translate into better absorption (and often higher potency, remember milligrams are a measurement of weight).

I think its a wise idea to practice prevention rather then needing to switch to pharmaceuticals later, when something finally breaks.

·
1,851 Posts
I've noticed recently that Vitamin Shoppee (or any Health Food store) has started to carry them. I like New Chapter or Mega Foods. Purchase the mens multi (not the one daily).

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.