Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Merry Christmas, and please enjoy this little stocking stuffer. I've been trying to get a handle on how/when my cooling fans turn on, mostly to keep the temps stable during traffic on my commute. I've managed to discover this thermo fan temperature tables, and tweaking the values has proven effective. The table axis descriptions should be pretty self explanatory.

Here are two logs superimposed. Car comes to a stop and is left to idle. Red is the stock fan cycle, blue is modified.

To add this to ECUFlash, you'll need to define new scaling factor for 1byte temperature, either in Evo10base.xml or directly in your particular vehicle's metafile.

Code:
  <scaling name="Temp8" units="Fahrenheit" toexpr="1.8*x-40" frexpr="(x+40)/1.8" format="%.0f" min="-40" max="350" inc="1" storagetype="uint8" endian="big"/>
  <scaling name="TempC8" units="Celsius" toexpr="x-40" frexpr="x+40" format="%.0f" min="-40" max="215" inc="1" storagetype="uint8" endian="big"/>
Then add this blurb to your vehicle specific ROM:

For 52680015,
Code:
  <table name="Thermo Fan Temperature" category="Fan Control" address="5639A" type="3D" swapxy="true" scaling="Temp8">
    <table name="Conditions" type="Static X Axis" elements="3">
      <data>A/C Off</data>
      <data>A/C On</data>
      <data>A/C Max</data>
    </table>
    <table name="Speed(kph)+Accel" type="Static Y Axis" elements="12">
      <data>0-40 Cruise Fan OFF</data>
      <data>0-40 Cruise Fan ON</data>
      <data>0-40 Accel Fan OFF</data>
      <data>0-40 Accel Fan ON</data>
      <data>40-80 Cruise Fan OFF</data>
      <data>40-80 Cruise Fan ON</data>
      <data>40-80 Accel Fan OFF</data>
      <data>40-80 Accel Fan ON</data>
      <data>80+ Cruise Fan OFF</data>
      <data>80+ Cruise Fan ON</data>
      <data>80+ Accel Fan OFF</data>
      <data>80+ Accel Fan ON</data>
    </table>
  </table>
For other model years, copy the above but tweak the table address to suit your ROM.

For 55570005_2010_UDSM_5MT, modify above code to read: address="5643E"
For 56890009_2011_USDM_5MT, modify above code to read: address="5643E"
For 58010005_2012_USDM_5MT, modify above code to read: address="56456"
For 59590004_2013_USDM_SST, modify above code to read: address="56456"

Attachments

· Registered
6,438 Posts
Nice find. Why would you want to change them though?

Also, how do you do it? Is there a how to to search for tables?

· , [Potential Scammer]
999 Posts
nice work. thanks!

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Is ECT engine coolant temp? If so, I thought there was a benefit of keeping those temps around 200 or something?

Like canevo, what are the benefits of changing? And what are you going for?

· Registered
2,132 Posts
I could see this mod as being a good thing if it can keep temperatures more stable. I personally would like to keep temps right around 185-190*F instead of letting it swing between 180*F and 210*F which can change how your tune reacts to knock depending on temps. It probably won't help keep temps down on a road course any more but I would have to test that. :)

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I could see this mod as being a good thing if it can keep temperatures more stable. I personally would like to keep temps right around 185-190*F instead of letting it swing between 180*F and 210*F which can change how your tune reacts to knock depending on temps. It probably won't help keep temps down on a road course any more but I would have to test that. :)
Yes, 180-190 is all the swing I see on my DD now. I'd be surprised really if it would be much help during hard tracking, but I'm thinking some benefits for autocross especially when queued up between runs.

· Registered
2,132 Posts
Yes, 180-190 is all the swing I see on my DD now. I'd be surprised really if it would be much help during hard tracking, but I'm thinking some benefits for autocross especially when queued up between runs.
Indeed, once the return flow of your radiator is out paced by the amount of heat being put into the system by the engine, the coolant temps will rise to wherever it can still keep up with heat removal. If the thermostat is already wide open and fans at max speed that's all your cooling system can do.

Now if you kick the fans on earlier to keep temps in the 180-190*F range for a bit longer it might delay reaching the point where your temps climb past normal cruise temps. As long as you have some extra cooling capacity in the bank in your return side you should be able to control temps with extra fan duration. :)

I think the biggest gain is that you will have a bit less engine bay heat soak by keeping the average temps down 10-20*F with maybe a little more wear and tear on your fans along with the electricity they might draw.

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the biggest gain is that you will have a bit less engine bay heat soak by keeping the average temps down 10-20*F with maybe a little more wear and tear on your fans along with the electricity they might draw.
Yes, I'm resigned to the fact that my fans will give way sooner than otherwise. But at least long waits at drive-thrus and heavy, stop and go traffic bug me just a little bit less these days. :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts