Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

· Registered
2,132 Posts
Got a track update with the cooling mods on my car...

Logged an entire 25 minute road course session from this weekend at VIR. Was running a 96 octane mix of fuel for safety at 26 psi boost tapering to 23 psi by 7k. Had zero knock despite 85*F ambient temps and 130*F track temps. With the fans keeping the underhood temps in check on the grid I was always at 180-183*F with the fans on low so underhood temps were never soaking the engine bay that badly.

Once I started the hot laps I never got hotter than 203*F at the end of the long straights which I think is great considering how hard I was pushing the car with 2:03-2:04 lap times and hitting 145-146 mph on the back straight. Temps would dip down to as low as 195*F at a few parts of the road course where there was less high speed boosting but every time I hit the back straight pull from 3rd up through 6th gear the temps climbed back to 203*F. :)

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Nice. How much did they pay you for that?
maybe a fruit basket on Christmas?

Got a track update with the cooling mods on my car...

Logged an entire 25 minute road course session from this weekend at VIR. Was running a 96 octane mix of fuel for safety at 26 psi boost tapering to 23 psi by 7k. Had zero knock despite 85*F ambient temps and 130*F track temps. With the fans keeping the underhood temps in check on the grid I was always at 180-183*F with the fans on low so underhood temps were never soaking the engine bay that badly.

Once I started the hot laps I never got hotter than 203*F at the end of the long straights which I think is great considering how hard I was pushing the car with 2:03-2:04 lap times and hitting 145-146 mph on the back straight. Temps would dip down to as low as 195*F at a few parts of the road course where there was less high speed boosting but every time I hit the back straight pull from 3rd up through 6th gear the temps climbed back to 203*F. :)
Thanks for the update. Curious what your hot lap temps were without the fan table mod. Couldn't imagine it's much different.

· Registered
2,132 Posts
Thanks for the update. Curious what your hot lap temps were without the fan table mod. Couldn't imagine it's much different.
I had my 80+ mph tables set to run high speed fans at 198 and then shut them off at 194 so it's possible they didn't hurt. According to my logs temps would climb as I accelerated to 145 mph, then recover to 194*F - 196*F range in the braking zones and technical areas.

Definitely very helpful for controlling coolant temps on the cool down lap as every time I pulled in after a full lap cool down the underhood temps were VERY reasonable, almost as if I wasn't doing time trial laps just a few minutes earlier! Pulling into the pits it showed 183*F Coolant temps, 98*F Intake Manifold temps, 88*F Intake Air temps on an 85*F day which is amazing. :rock:

With some infrared laser temps the ceramic coated Full-Race tubular headers were at 600*F but the heat shielding and DEI reflective heat tape was doing it's job. I may still wrap those in the DEI Titanium exhaust wrap for good measure but we will see. :shades:

· Registered
1,028 Posts
Bump for an awesome thread.

I modified my A/C fan to turn on at the same time the engine fan turns on.

· Registered
10 Posts
awesome thread !! THANK YOU~
a MUST have for those installed SST Heated Transmission in MR to use coolant cool & heat.

I've SST Heated Transmission installed , but on a hot summer day sitting on traffic, with ECT around 200 - 212 and the SST will still overheat, lock me out of manual mode. (I had to put on the AC to avoid it),

with these tweak should be good to resolve the issue,( without AC on )
Thank You~! bellacotim !

41 - 53 of 53 Posts