Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an accident today and my car needs some serious repairs, my question is what if instead of an oem kit i wanted an fq400 kit, will the insurance company pay for it or maybe i can just add some money if they are going to pay for the oem parts to get an fq400 kit instead? Would that be possible?

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
To get the fq400 kit you have to order it through the UK. In order to do that, I believe you have to have a special code. Its expensive as hell as well.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
When i got into an accident they gave me the option of finding my own company to fix my car. then they will pay you the amount they feel is reasonable to fix the car. The rest is up to you. plus you can argue with them to pay the rest of the amount from the body shop you chose.
I have scene a few others with the FQ400 kits on this forum, type it in the search and they usually will say were they got it from.
All the luck brother its an amazing looking kit!

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
Just get the Test and Service kit. Valdi Sport helped design the FQ's kit.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah they told me i can choose whichever shop i want. What i want to know is would they pay the shop directly or would they give me the money then i would pay the shop myself? That way i can choose whichever part i want to install and just add some cash to get the kit i wanted instead of getting an oem kit then eventually i would upgrade to the fq400.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Typically here's what happens... You get an estimate from an adjuster or a body shop approved by the insurance company who will foot the bill to do the estimate.

If the shop you intend on using (based on local recommendations) can do the estimate, they can take the car apart and give a detailed breakdown of costs and paint. You will be reimbursed that amount and if the shop underestimated, they take extra pictures and explain why they need what's called supplement. You should get a check for the original estimate, then the shop gets money directly for the supplement. You can cash your check then pay the shop or you can save the check and sign it over to the shop when you pick up your fresh new car.

Getting aftermarket body panels is no problem. Your car will be down longer for ordering the parts and usually the price difference is very very close because brand new oem is expensive for MSRP. Talk with the body shop, don't go to the dealer...

Oh and a rental car won't be covered if you're having to wait on aftermarket parts instead of oem.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
(I just got my car back from the shop a week ago under similar circumstances, I had shop A lined up to do the work, eSurance didn't allow shop A to do estimates so I took it to shop B. Shop B didn't take off the bumper and assumed it could be salvaged and repainted along with the rear diffuser, so they quoted $1040. Took car to shop A who was highly recommended and I've seen their quality work, they took the bumper off and said nope, we need $900 more because this bumper has broken tabs and the diffuser is fucked, so they dealt with eSurance to prove it and get the money, I didn't have to do a thing... then 2 weeks later I pick up the car and sign over the $1040 check I got from eSurance and drove my car home.)

I'm not sure they would've been ok with my enterprise rental car another week for waiting on aftermarket rear bumper... I didn't want to deal with it so I got 100% oem

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
In short, your insurance company by-policy owes you for "the replacement cost of the damaged part" and they are not REQUIRED to put that same part back on. Have them inspect it, and you can apply the money owed TOWARD aftermarket stuff if you wish.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
pm me. This could go on forever if we keep it here. I'm an insurance adjuster in Pasadena. I know 'em all. I'd need to discuss other stuff though in regards to details to figure out where's best for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.