Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK so my wife and I are expecting in July and I'm starting to think the exhaust might be too loud for the little one. While my car won't be the primary vehicle for the child, he/she will still be taking rides in it.

My question is for those who have swapped from a single exit exhaust to a dual exit exhaust, especially those of you who ALREADY had their downpipe and test pipe / high flow cat in place.

I currently have the AMS DP, AMS HFC and AMS Single Exit Exhaust.

I have been recommended the Magnaflow, Blitz Nur Spec C-Ti, Cobb Quad and the T1R 76S. (ETS V2 Quiet is out due to the many responses)

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the quad exhaust tips on the Cobb but I'm open to the other 3 and any other options you guys might have.

Any experiences about your before and after cat-back exhaust swaps would be much appreciated. Please say what you have before and what you got after.

Thanks! You guys/gals rock!!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Cobb quad is definitely quiet. from what I understand, the ETS V2 Quiet is not *that* quiet.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have Perrin Stealth TBE looks, sounds and fits perfect.

·
Registered
614 Posts
T1r 76s or Injen Ses are some of the quietest duals i've had or heard in person :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
When my son was a newborn the exhaust noise actually soothed him. We have our X5 for the quiet rides.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When my son was a newborn the exhaust noise actually soothed him. We have our X5 for the quiet rides.
I have heard this and want to keep some of it......which is why I'm leaning towards some type of dual instead, just to bring it down a little.

Don't get me wrong, I like my current setup......I'm just thinking it could be a little quieter.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I have heard this and want to keep some of it......which is why I'm leaning towards some type of dual instead, just to bring it down a little.

Don't get me wrong, I like my current setup......I'm just thinking it could be a little quieter.
The ETS v2 quiet is definitely not quiet when used with a test pipe, but it is a beautiful sounding exhaust. I'm betting you'll get more from adding a hi-flow cat (or stock cat) over switching to a dual, but it depends on the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I love my T1R 76S! It's absolutely perfect~ Sounds just slightly louder than stock (nothing like the loud ones out there), no drone at cruising, but opens up when you want to. I ran their downpipe, resonated TP and the exhaust. My tuner at Cobb couldn't believe I was running a test pipe since it was so quiet!

Someone's review video. I bought mine after I watched it long ago :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks OptiBlue thats good info.

pounder.....I have all of the AMS stuff now and it is not quiet enough. I love the sound it makes but I want it to be quieter.

Original post updated with the general consensus that the ETS V2 Quiet isn't really that quiet and that the T1R 76S is a better option.

Also asking if anyone has experienced the before and afters of the cat-back.

·
Registered
642 Posts
AMS is pretty quiet compared to greddy comp TIC with AMS testpipe and MAP o2/down. So damn loud ! Can't even have normal conversation in the car :-( it's pretty much straight thru with muffler at the end :eek: can't wait for AMS catback to be here already. Should have it tomorrow. Stupid loud mufflers are overrated. That's mine honest opinion.

I like how quiet your T1R is. :yay:

·
Registered
123 Posts
buschur cross flow is super quiet...I have a thread on here with a review and db levels
EDIT: sorry was on evom

Hey EvoM.net:

The Goal I had was to increase performance without increasing sound levels to still stay under the radar. After doing many, many searches and reviewing many, many sound bites i ended up buying a used Buschur Cross Flow exhaust from a member on here for my 2010 X.

Initial Impressions:

After receiving my package i throughly inspected it, knowing what to expect from a used exhaust; random dents, dings, possible cracks etc... I found 2 random dents but couldn't figure out what from but the exhaust as a whole Looked great. Even after being used the piping was in good shape no surface rust or anything.

Install:

Uninstalling my exhaust was a cinch with 9k miles it came off pretty much 1, 2, 3. When bolting up the section to the stock cat, i didn't realize i'd have to take off the heat shield, no biggie. The 1st slip joint went in perfectly, the 2nd one started off being a pain and we THOUGHT it was the design. Turned out the pipe was dented and wouldn't fit in properly, couple hammer bangs later it was fitting but some resistance. This is where i found one of the dents, the original guy couldn't slide it into place easy and just hit it with a hammer lol. i put a block of wood on and with a few good hits, it was perfect. looks great btw.

Sound:

This is the part the everyone should listen to. This being the only "X" exhaust i've tested but if they can make one quieter than this, i'd be hard pressed to find. I have a decibel reader that i used to do exact comparisons so this isn't just me saying its quiet, its actual proof.

*All tests were done same day, same stretch of roads, and tires to make weather and road noise the closest as possible* 50-55 degrees, Warm idle was after 10 min of driving at operating temp, from inside and windows up

Test one: Stock EVO X Exhaust Cold Start/Idle - Low 83db High 86db
Test two: Stock EVO X Exhaust Warm Idle - Low 77db High 86db
Test three: Stock EVO X Exhaust 65MPH cruise - Low 91db High 94db

Test one: Buschur X-Flow Exhaust Cold Start/Idle - Low 88db High 91db
Test two: Buschur X-Flow Exhaust Warm Idle - Low 77db High 80db
Test three: Buschur X-Flow Exhaust 65MPH cruise - Low 91db High 95db

Verdict:

So there you have it, i'll take pics or video of the db levels with the exhaust on if anyone doesn't believe me. Hope this helps anyone in making a decision!
I give it {thumbup}{thumbup}
*no affiliation with buschur racing* lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.