Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had new wheels put on recently, and just after I started hearing a squealing noise and assumed it was the tires rubbing. I couldn't see any signs of rubbing though. I just got back from my tire shop, and after 3 hours, we concluded it is NOT the wheels/tires. It's the axle or diff or something there-abouts.

When the car is cold, it doesn't make the noise. After about 5 mins of driving, it starts. It mostly happen when the wheel is straight and at low speeds. It's a VERY loud rub/squeal sound, the slower I go, the louder it gets. It's loud enough that when I come up to stop lights it gets the attention of people on the sidewalk.

If i tap the brakes at all, it stop for a couple seconds, then starts again. If i left-foot brake a bit while driving, it never happens.

I changed my front center diff and trans fluid a bit over a month ago. The noise started a couple weeks ago. I don't think that's related since I even had a track day on the new fluids well before the noise started.

The guy at my tire shop thinks its the front diff clutches and suggested driving in a tight circle for 20+ laps in each direction. I did that and it seems better, but still happens.

Any ideas what the noise is and how to fix it?

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a couple videos on the drive to the tarck, but I'm gassed so I'll upload them earlier.

I'm pretty sure its the brakes, not the diff. The noise was totally absent after my first track session. it came back after the 5-hour drive home once I had to start doing stop/go city driving.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
One possibility is that it could be your transmission transfer case. Happened to me a few weeks ago and just got my car back recently and that was my problem. I had squeeling coming from the front tire areas. Fortunately, warranty covered it. Might want to look into this.

·
[X Performance Mod], [Racing Mod], [Local Team Mem
11,761 Posts
Damn! Is it coming from the front for sure? You probably know this already, a lot of these noises could be originating somewhere else and just getting transmitted through the drivetrain causing you to think its the diff etc. Since the frequency initially goes up with speed, I am tempted to think that maybe your pads are worn too much and they are rubbing against your rotor. Or, your brake shoes in the rear drums may be pushing a little more than they should against the drum housing.

I'm just trying to rule out the easiest ones before assuming the worst. Check this if you haven't already.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the pads have over an inch of meat left on them :) im not on the stock calipers, and the current setup is free-floating. there's a spring between the two pads that pushes them apart so they don't rattle when you're not on the brakes. The spring on the front driver caliper broke a few months ago and i never bothered replacing it since it wasn't rattleing.

This doesn't sound like a rattle, but everything else still suggest brakes. I'll swap out to my street pads this week. If that clears it up, then problem solved. Still, sounds a bit odd for a brake noise. Maybe its just wishful thinking :)

·
[CEEvo Treasurer]
1,705 Posts
Yeah I say brakes as well. Used to do this on one of my cars and I found the brake pad was worn down to the metal and was only audible at low speeds. I think the spring problem may be part of the cause of the sound.

lol!!! "how ****ed up is that any ideas?"

Kris

·
[X Performance Mod], [Racing Mod], [Local Team Mem
11,761 Posts
If it is the brakes, you may be hear the noise even when you turn the wheel by hand when the car is jacked up and in neutral. Try it on all 4 wheels to rule out ANY brake issues.

·
Registered
118 Posts
the pads have over an inch of meat left on them :) im not on the stock calipers, and the current setup is free-floating. there's a spring between the two pads that pushes them apart so they don't rattle when you're not on the brakes. The spring on the front driver caliper broke a few months ago and i never bothered replacing it since it wasn't rattleing.

This doesn't sound like a rattle, but everything else still suggest brakes. I'll swap out to my street pads this week. If that clears it up, then problem solved. Still, sounds a bit odd for a brake noise. Maybe its just wishful thinking :)
Listening to the vid and reading this I would guess that with that retainer spring between the pads broken, it sounds like when you are not on the brakes, the pad is leaning against the rotor causing the rubbing noise. Then when you apply brake pressure, it straightens out and goes away.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea, thats my guess. seems obvious now, but when it first started happening, it was literally 20 mins after I had my new wheels and tires installed. I assumed it was tire rub, fixed all that with no luck. Then thought maybe the wheel was flexing a bit and rubbing the caliper, but no marks on the wheel or caliper. Then though the wheel inside edge might be rubbing the strut... again, no rubbing marks after pulling the wheels.

Maybe the timing was just a coincidence, maybe it has something to do with the new wheels altering the airflow in the wheel well, who knows :) I'll try to swap the pads out tonight and put a new spring in to see if that clears it up.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
finally got to swapping pads out and replacing the broken spring today. Seems like that was the problem :) Took it for about a 20 min test drive to bed the street pads back in and the noise was non-existent! I love it when potentially huge and costly problems end up being simple and free to fix :D

·
Registered
941 Posts
i found the same problem recently, had the car checked today and my guy told me it sounds from front diff/axle..but we are not sure.

the noise can only be noticed at very low speed, going straight or reverse, it happens after driving a while, the noise is very very hard to notice in my case, and it sounds like rubbing... but i am so sure it was not from tires.

i changed new pads about three weeks ago, car is a MR, only DD, about 23k miles on it. i cant understand why it comes from the brakes? what should i do now?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts