Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed this front tow hook on my friends MR today...much simpler than drilling into the front of the crash beam route.

We used a 3/8" spacer to get the hook below the plastic bumper cover. Also had to cut out a slot for the tow hook to feed through the grille mesh and plastic air deflector.

Install takes about 1 hour.

STEPS:
remove bumper
drill a couple holes
cut out slots with a Dremel and snips
Mount hook
and replace bumper

Attachments

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
Are these those hooks somebody was trying to sell without a merchant label? There's another thread about the rear one, too...

Also, I'd rather drill one hole in the hidden crash beam than cut the plastic.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I'd rather drill one hole in the hidden crash beam than cut the plastic.
Is this the way you mean to mount it? Through the front of the beam, right? The one pictured here is mine...wish I did it the other way ^^though

Drilling into the front of the beam is WAY harder and less functional than this other way to mount it. When you drill into the front of the beam youre playing with different angles and it's tougher to make the hook look correct coming out of the bumper. Mine looks good and I get comlements on it (ppl think it's oem). But I took a long time doing it..AND you have to cut the plastic tab anyways.

This other way you don't cut any visible plastic on the car.

This gives ppl an easier option to mount a functional front tow hook to their X

Attachments

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
All you need is a drill press to drill the beam. Not hard at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All you need is a drill press to drill the beam. Not hard at all.
If you want your tow hook sticking out at a 30 degree angle, then sure, that's all you need to do. But if you do it properly it's a diff story. The beam bends and doesn't provide a flat surface to mount to.

I've done it both ways as you can see in the pics, the flat tow hook is way easier, plus you can take it off and nobody would know it was there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.