Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
whenever changing your fuel system (ie. injectors, pump, fuel rail...anything) its a good idea to get one. And im ordering a AEM kit from MAP tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Unless you need to adjust the nominal regulated pressure, there is no benefit at all. It has nothing to do with flow.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
When is a fpr actually needed? And which kit would be the best bang for your buck option?
whenever changing your fuel system (ie. injectors, pump, fuel rail...anything) its a good idea to get one. And im ordering a AEM kit from MAP tomorrow.
Agreed^.

The OEM unit is notorious for not keeping constant pressures at times, they are also not good with high boost applications.

They also give the ability to raise base pressure, which in some cases is nice on larger injectors to maintain a smoother idle, as well as flowing more volume with higher base pressure in the upper RPM band with fueling.

I typically do not use the AEM FPR, unless the customer will be sticking with a lower flowing fuel setup (ie, single or twin 255s, 340s, etc). When you get to a point of "going big" in these cars, a single large external pump requires a higher flowing fpr unit than the aem, such as a fuel lab fpr for example.

·
Registered
56 Posts
what would be the best pressure to set if using 1000cc injector and AMS fuel rail without vacuuming it? what is the bad effect of too high/low pressure setting?

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Tool ow a pressure will result in larger droplets from the injector. That means poor atmomisation. And the flow will be slightly lower.

Too high a pressure puts more load on the pump(s) (minor issue) and the flow rate-vs-pressure is not linear. Increasing pressure makes a much larger influence on flow. The numbers beow are showing two PW values (6 and 12ms - 100 % increase) and two pressure settings (40 and 50 PSIG, a 25% increase).

Some numbers:
These flow tests were performed on a New Age Fuel
Injector Cleaner/Tester (with nHeptane as the test fluid). The results are:

Pulses set to 6 ms, 7200 RPM, 3000 total pulses
40 PSIG
SVO 30 Lb./Hr 46 cc - 9.5%
SVO 35 Lb./Hr 51 cc Reference
BOSCH 803 62 cc + 22 %
DEKA Unit 50 cc - 2 %

50 PSIG
SVO 30 Lb./Hr 51 cc - 9 %
SVO 35 Lb./Hr 56 cc Reference
BOSCH 803 69 cc + 23 %
DEKA Unit 54 cc - 3.5 %

Pulses set to 12 ms, 7200 RPM
40 PSIG
SVO 30 Lb./Hr 53.5 cc - 10 %
SVO 35 Lb./Hr 59.5 cc Reference
BOSCH 803 72 cc + 21 %
DEKA Unit 55 cc - 7.5 %

50 PSIG
SVO 30 Lb./Hr 78 cc - 8 %
SVO 35 Lb./Hr 87 cc Reference
BOSCH 803 103 cc +18.5 %
DEKA Unit 81 cc - 7%

Average:
SVO 30 Lb./Hr - 9.1 %
SVO 35 Lb./Hr Reference
BOSCH 803 + 21.1 %
DEKA Unit - 5 %

·
Vendor
543 Posts
I typically do not use the AEM FPR, unless the customer will be sticking with a lower flowing fuel setup (ie, single or twin 255s, 340s, etc). When you get to a point of "going big" in these cars, a single large external pump requires a higher flowing fpr unit than the aem, such as a fuel lab fpr for example.
I'm using the AEM with my Walbro 400lph sir, no issues thusfar. Now if you're talking Aeromotive Eliminator or something crazy that could be another story lol.

OP: Here is a link to our kit :)

http://www.maperformance.com/map-af...l-pressure-regulator-evo-x-map-afpr-evox.html

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
chris do u guys have a install manual for your kit? AMS has one on their site for their kit, im assuming its pretty much the same process, correct?

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
I'm using the AEM with my Walbro 400lph sir, no issues thusfar. Now if you're talking Aeromotive Eliminator or something crazy that could be another story lol.

OP: Here is a link to our kit :)

http://www.maperformance.com/map-af...l-pressure-regulator-evo-x-map-afpr-evox.html
I am also using the MAP AEM kit (they built it on my car) and it has worked perfect since that day.

Running a Blaqops progressive double pumper...

The AEM seems to work fine in the 550whp-600whp range for me.

·
Vendor
543 Posts
chris do u guys have a install manual for your kit? AMS has one on their site for their kit, im assuming its pretty much the same process, correct?
Not as of yet but its something I've got on my to do list as it isn't intuitive in regards to where the AFPR itself mounts. Please feel free to call if you have any questions during the install!

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Here is a few pics I took to try and help others out with MAP's mounting off my car. Not sure they help or not but you can see the mounting is a bit tricky at least.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I think I am going to have to order one of these from MAP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts