Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the scenario, I had my car at the tuner the other day and he could not get the afr to stop trending up towards thetop of 4th gear, turns out it was a bad fuel pump relay. So we grabed another black fuel pump relay out of a 2010 gsr and that fixed the issue. The question is..... is that black relay out of the 2010 ok to keep in my car or is it a risk for failure? My car is a 2008 gsr

And if I was to change it to a new blue relay will this screw up my tune???

· Registered
1,490 Posts
Ok here is the scenario, I had my car at the tuner the other day and he could not get the afr to stop trending up towards thetop of 4th gear, turns out it was a bad fuel pump relay. So we grabed another black fuel pump relay out of a 2010 gsr and that fixed the issue. The question is..... is that black relay out of the 2010 ok to keep in my car or is it a risk for failure? My car is a 2008 gsr

mitsu released yet another relay version "back to black" a few months ago. they are to new to tell if they will fail like all the others have. swapping relays would not impact your tune at all unless one was faulty to begin with.

· Registered
509 Posts
From what I've read, the relay only fails in the sense that it does not send more power to the fuel pump at WOT. So, it might be wise to keep your old relay in the event that your new relay one day fails completely. In that case you might still be able to get around safely at partial throttle on your old relay.

Just ordered my "new black" relays. Should be in today! I ordered two so i could have a back up.

Here's the thread about the new relays....

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58941&highlight=fuel+pump+relay

As far as I can imagine, the relays all perform the exact same function (they are just switches) and the only difference between any of them is their reliability. So a different relay should not have any effect on your tune. Someone should confirm this though.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the tsb on the other relays got blue ones, the black relay for the fuel pump that we took out of a 2010 gsr. I want to check to see if this is the new "back to black" relay. What is the part number for this new relay?

Also can anyone confirm that a new relay will not screw up my tune?

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a way of checking a relay with a multimeter/ comparing a new relay to an old. I wanna be a 100% certain that this new relay will not cause my tune to go rich, which from my searches on here has happened to a few people

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.