Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well at first I never had an issue with fuel starvation at Auto X until I got a set of RS-3's. Two of the last 3 events I've had starvation issues right after long left hand turns. I had starvation right between 1/2 and 3/4 a tank today. Came out of a long 180 left hander, as soon as it straightened out. Car's power just died, my knock light started flashing like crazy, then a big back fire, and off I went again. I guess I won't be running any Auto X events with a tank with 80%+ fuel :(

·
aka mrubino83
4,161 Posts

·
[E-Tuner]
15,918 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait so, I've been seeing threads of people trying to fix this problem for months upon months with tons of custom solutions, but MAP has had a surge tank all along that fixes the problem? :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Wait so, I've been seeing threads of people trying to fix this problem for months upon months with tons of custom solutions, but MAP has had a surge tank all along that fixes the problem? :D
Evo D and MAP surge tank are the simplest solutions, but not perfect. They still do not solve the high pressure fuel return line problem. I drilled out my return line slightly, but it didn't help much. I'm basically at 56-57psi baseline/idle fuel pressure. The problem with the elevated baseline pressure is that once the surge tank starts to empty, fuel pressure drops back down to what it normally should be (42-43 psi). Hopefully that pressure drop isnt enough to start running lean. It's not perfect, but it's the simplest and cheapest solution other than running with a full tank all the time (still isnt perfect since I lose 1/2 tank on a track session and get fuel starvation at 2/3 tanks on big left hand sweepers).

The other solutions are big, expensive, and complex.

In short, it sucks. Issues like this and tranny overheat have pushed me away from getting another Mitsu in the future.

·
aka mrubino83
4,161 Posts
Evo D and MAP surge tank are the simplest solutions, but not perfect. They still do not solve the high pressure fuel return line problem. I drilled out my return line slightly, but it didn't help much. I'm basically at 56-57psi baseline/idle fuel pressure. The problem with the elevated baseline pressure is that once the surge tank starts to empty, fuel pressure drops back down to what it normally should be (42-43 psi). Hopefully that pressure drop isnt enough to start running lean. It's not perfect, but it's the simplest and cheapest solution other than running with a full tank all the time (still isnt perfect since I lose 1/2 tank on a track session and get fuel starvation at 2/3 tanks on big left hand sweepers).

The other solutions are big, expensive, and complex.

In short, it sucks. Issues like this and tranny overheat have pushed me away from getting another Mitsu in the future.
Joe, what size did you port to? And did you remove the tiny inline filter?

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
I have never had starvation at autox. I have done autox with 1/4 tank of gas or less as well. I did however get this when I started doing the smaller time attack events here. The banked turns really fuck with it

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Its certainly more efficient than filling up to 100% after every session.

Mine is overkill, but something like the map surge tank is a simple solution, and can be had for under 1k.

This is actually the SSP Texas Surge Tank kit, not MAPs. It's called the K27 Kit after Kozmic27.... aka, [email protected] We manufacture these kits in house at SSP Texas.

I've been running this kit for over 2 years with no issues what so ever.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Joe, what size did you port to? And did you remove the tiny inline filter?
I drilled to 5/65ths and removed the inline filter. I'm too scared to go any larger since I don't have an AFPR and don't want to lose the venturi effect.

I've been running this kit for over 2 years with no issues what so ever.
Can you tell us what your baseline fuel pressure is? None of these kits address the fuel return line pressure issue. Once the surge tank starts to empty, fuel pressure will drop in a two pump (one in-tank, and one in-line) setup like this. I've seen it happen with my own eyes because I have a fuel pressure gauge on my a-pillar. Is this a problem? Maybe, maybe not. I'm hoping not because I'm running with it and keeping my fingers crossed.

·
aka mrubino83
4,161 Posts
I drilled to 5/65ths and removed the inline filter. I'm too scared to go any larger since I don't have an AFPR and don't want to lose the venturi effect.

Can you tell us what your baseline fuel pressure is? None of these kits address the fuel return line pressure issue. Once the surge tank starts to empty, fuel pressure will drop in a two pump (one in-tank, and one in-line) setup like this. I've seen it happen with my own eyes because I have a fuel pressure gauge on my a-pillar. Is this a problem? Maybe, maybe not. I'm hoping not because I'm running with it and keeping my fingers crossed.
Fuel pressure shouldnt drop in theory. It sounds like you are pressurizing the surge tank AKA your return to the main tank is backing up.

What pump do you have feeding the rail? A walbro or 044?

Im almost positive that an AFPR alone will drop your base pressure to desired levels....

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Fuel pressure shouldnt drop in theory. It sounds like you are pressurizing the surge tank AKA your return to the main tank is backing up.

What pump do you have feeding the rail? A walbro or 044?

Im almost positive that an AFPR alone will drop your base pressure to desired levels....
Yes, I believe you are correct in what is really happening. I have a walbro feeding the rail (in-line), and the stock in-tank pump feeding the surge tank. AFPR may be the answer, but I feel like it's another bag of worms...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Its not perfect if there is such a big drop in fuel pressure.

YES! You should definitely get a fpr.
Ok fine. :bowlol:
I'll need a re-tune if I get a FPR because of my new baseline pressure. My plan is to pay attention to my AFR gauge the next time I'm at turn 7 and 8 at thunderhill. If the pressure drops and my AFR goes lean, then I'll do the AFPR. Honestly, I'm tired of working on this car. I just want to drive it. I still have to find that exhaust leak...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.