Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what type of fuel pumps you guys are running to support 600+ whp. I'm looking to gain some hp ground by changing my current set up. I run a buschur double pumper as of now. I've had a few issues with the pump including the fuel socks being completely clogged with black soot. Keep in mind, the car runs on E85 99% of the time. I do have a pump gas map but havent run it in a year or so. For upgrading turbo and power output to roughly 800 whp, I was curious as to what would be the best set up.

Thanks,
AJ

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are many different ways to do this… I went with Radium twin Bosch 044 surge tank setup, and 2 x 340 Fullblown pumps in tank with their fuel hanger.
Now for the bad part with this setup, I maxed out my 2 Wallbro 255 pumps on pump gas making just shy of 500 whp on a mustang dyno so naturally more is better was the thought, as it stands now I have a 12x5 inch cooler under the car to try and cool the fuel, these pumps make so much pressure and flow it's unreal, this is with a 8AN feed and 6AN return line btw, any sharp bend fitting whatever on the system will create heat for sure, it's of course much worse when the tank is a 1/4 full/empty as the return fuel is very hot and the cooler can't keep up.
The only solution I can see to this problem is to get a variable pump speed controller, Hobbs switch or something to activate full power to the pumps when needed, but have heard this is a bastard to set up and to get to work right, not sure as I have not tried yet..

All in all it depends on what you want to use the car for, if you are just cruising around and using it as a daily driver I would just upgrade the 2 pumps you have to something bigger in terms of flow, they make a lot of pumps that are the same size as what the Wallbro pumps, and easy to do on the Buschur setup(just remember to get the correct hose for in tank use E85 compatible etc) next think about upgrading fuel lines to something bigger as the return line will struggle at any situation out of boost as there will be a lot of unused fuel coming back to the tank, stock line is around a 4AN size, oh and if you go for braided hoses only one choice to make and that is Teflon lined hoses, forget about the rest, if you want to sit in a car that does not stink of petrol, some people like the smell of petrol apparently :) If you decide to track the car in any way shape or form get a surge tank kit as 2 pumps without much housing left inside the fuel tank will make the car go lean in nearly every situation, specially left handers because of the hump tank design(another story)

I'm pretty sure you will get a lot of people chiming in on this, so take note of all the good advice you will get on here and of course overdoing it will lead to other problems as I have experienced first hand, but hey now I don't have to worry about running out of fuel until I hit 1500 whp, wishful thinking!!!

All the best, and good luck with the fuel system!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Qatar! I have a MAP Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit with an AEM FPR and pressure gauge paired with a AMS Fuel Rail and ID2000 cc Injectors. The lines are very big for fuel delivery and return. I was thinking twin Bosch 044 pumps that are externally mounted. I'm not sure how difficult that is to do but I've seen people do it on Subarus and older evos. The Evo X community has very few members with 800+ whp and searching is a bit of a pain on a topic many evo x owners just haven't experienced.

Thanks,
AJ

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use the vehicle for occasional spirited driving (carving mountains) which means a fuel surge tank is in order. I have a 5 psi Hobbs switch on the car as is. It activates the 2nd 255 pump when it hits 5 psi of boost which immediately dips my car into the 10s AFR wise. Up top, the car seems to lean out a little more than it should. I will pull the fuel hanger out and check the fuel socks which may be clogged again. I definitely don't think this fuel system set up I have now will work for a T4 6466 kit which I plan on dropping into the car in the few months. I've began researching to purchase all the required parts before the build which lead me to this thread I've started. Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
AJ

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi AJ,
Have attached a few pics for you to look at for my surge tank setup, it's a solid system and works well now, lot of teething problems, I was afraid of the hobbs switch solution or any other pump controller so I made a custom system that is running full power all the time as I don't have time to look at my AFR's all the time while driving "spirited" on the strip, logging the runs of course, but keep in mind if the switch fails or something like vacuum line pops off or electrical short or anything else it will be a big repair bill!!! I'm on engine no 3…
In any case buy AN fittings with big radius turns and stay away from angled 90 degree ones, as it will heat the fuel up a lot!
But you're right about plus 800 whp car are a bit rare, not everyone wants to go to these extremes, plus you could just save a bit more and get a GTR or something and leave it stock!
Mine is about to have a Motec system fitted and then will try to be sensible with the tuning, famous last words…

The 6466 is an amazing turbo, mine is a V-Band version but think you will be able to squeeze more power out of your T4 setup ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you GSXRiderK6! Just trying to help as I have been through this before and searching a lot on the forums, so know how frustrating it can be sometimes :)

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
I personally recommend the walboro 450 e85 version for 600+ up until propbably 750whp on e85 (assuming you have the proper fuel pressure regulator, injectors, fuel lines and fuel rail). I made about 750 with my hardwired wally 450 and I am a huge advocate for a single pump fuel system.

If you need more than that, I suggest moving to a weldon fuel pump off a surge tank, and actually I don't recommend the 450 in the stock tank, surge tank that shit too. After all the headache I have seen, I don't like not doing a surge tank.

For weldon look at the 2015 or maybe even 2025 series.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after looking deeply into my leaning out issue, here is what I discovered. Shocking to say the least.

Here's a picture of a torn fuel line from the primary pump.
[/URL

Here's another view
[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/AnkurJ0217/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/20140206_192022_zpsxrxce6ix.jpg.html]

Here's the clogged fuel filter sock

It's quite possible this pump has what it takes to break 800 whp. These issues shown above would definitely prevent that from happening yet alone 600 whp which I currently make.

Thanks,
AJ

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting part is the car build 50 psi of pressure at idle. Definitely loses pressure up top when in boost because of this. Just when I though the FPR gauge would tell me everything I need to know about the fuel system, this is what I find.

AJ

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Ditch the double pumper! They suck and cause so many problems.

If you are actually SERIOUS about running 800whp, get a wally 255 or AEM320 and feed a surge tank with twin bosch 044's or something.

Too many of us, including myself, have tried many different in tank setups and they always have issues. The guys that rarely have issues are all running surge tanks because or in tank setup blows. We can't scrape by like evo 8/9 guys on buschur double pumpers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ditch the double pumper! They suck and cause so many problems.

If you are actually SERIOUS about running 800whp, get a wally 255 or AEM320 and feed a surge tank with twin bosch 044's or something.

Too many of us, including myself, have tried many different in tank setups and they always have issues. The guys that rarely have issues are all running surge tanks because or in tank setup blows. We can't scrape by like evo 8/9 guys on buschur double pumpers.

What about them specifically sucks? Sorry to revive an old thread from the dead ... however I have a buschur double setup currently and am having issues but I also have a built block as well... could be my block idk at this point fml

1 - 12 of 12 Posts