Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, GTX3576R, E85, Bolt-Ons.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Haven’t seen any posts of anybody swapping fuel tanks and was curious if anyone has done it before and how difficult it is. I’ve been having sealing and pressure issues due to snapped studs and subpar repairs.

If anybody has any tips on removal, draining the tank, and reinstalling the tank, please share as it will help a ton.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's easy just remove the return line and jump the pump until the pump sound changes.

To R&I the tank you drop the exhaust and driveshaft and its right there.
sweet sounds good. i already have the pump assembly out i’m swapping in a radium double pumper anyway. thanks a ton

·
Registered
2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
14 Posts
I had to replace the tank on my 09 ralliart due to snapped bolts for the fuel pump retainer. If you have access to a hoist it makes it so much better. Unplug fuel feed line, fuel return line, pump electrical connector and fuel tank pressure sensor connector. Pull the driveshaft, remove the exhaust after the converter. If it's too rusted up you can drop the exhaust enough to get the tank out. Remove the fuel filler neck hose, overflow hose, and two breather hoses from the filler neck assembly. Remove the parking brake cable brackets, unbolt the fuel tank straps, then the two nuts from the studs off the body. Lower it down, and swap it out. Don't forget the check valve in the fill port. New gas tank won't come with it.

Old tank
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Automotive wheel system

New tank
Wheel Land vehicle Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part

Needed to be replaced anyway, but found out where the leak was coming from
Fluid Automotive lighting Gas Foam Coffee

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to replace the tank on my 09 ralliart due to snapped bolts for the fuel pump retainer. If you have access to a hoist it makes it so much better. Unplug fuel feed line, fuel return line, pump electrical connector and fuel tank pressure sensor connector. Pull the driveshaft, remove the exhaust after the converter. If it's too rusted up you can drop the exhaust enough to get the tank out. Remove the fuel filler neck hose, overflow hose, and two breather hoses from the filler neck assembly. Remove the parking brake cable brackets, unbolt the fuel tank straps, then the two nuts from the studs off the body. Lower it down, and swap it out. Don't forget the check valve in the fill port. New gas tank won't come with it.

Old tank View attachment 289369

New tank
View attachment 289368

Needed to be replaced anyway, but found out where the leak was coming from View attachment 289370
Yeah this is exactly what I ended up doing. It went a lot easier than I thought it would. Snapping studs on the tank is the worst thing and hopefully I don’t do it again. But for now, everything is in and it starts and runs fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey all,

Haven’t seen any posts of anybody swapping fuel tanks and was curious if anyone has done it before and how difficult it is. I’ve been having sealing and pressure issues due to snapped studs and subpar repairs.

If anybody has any tips on removal, draining the tank, and reinstalling the tank, please share as it will help a ton.
Update: Tank is in, car is running. Thanks to all for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts